What's new

Imperial Barber / Algemarin / Royal Yacht - Geo Thomas - TOBS No. 74

After having recently changed to a scentless aftershave, the smell of my shaving soap became suddenly of bigger concern to me.
So going through my collections of soaps, I found a puck of Imperial Barber that due to its consistency seems to last forever.
(A see-through glycerin puck, with slightly above average performance but a very good milage.)

Since it is scentless, I thought about spicing it up a bit and after melting it in the microwave for 40 seconds, I added in one batch some
Royal Yacht and in the other some Algemarin shower gel. (I understand both scents are like Marmite, you either love it or hate it)
If you have never smelled Royal Yacht because Geo Thomas closed his shop some 20 years ago, try TOBS No. 74 (green), which is meant to be the successor of Royal Yacht.

It worked brilliantly, the soaps have the same characteristics and performance as before, but now with my chosen scents.
After a week the strengths of the scents are still the same. The longevity of the smell is comparable to the donors, so about an hour for the algemarin and 5 hours for the Royal Yacht. Since I only added about 15ml, that seems to be a very good performance.

So if anybody wants a shaving soap with their favourite scent, give it a try. My next batches will include 4711 and Aqua di Parma.

What do you add to your "melt and pour" soaps?

I found an old thread around here somewhere of a group who grated up Arko or Williams and left the grated soap to air out for a few weeks, then added their chosen alcohol aftershaves, and once evaporated they pressed the resulting new scented soap into a bowl, mug etc.

I made a batch of Avon Spicy, and a batch of Avon Deep Woods using Arko sticks. It took, I think 5 weeks for the Arko scent to dissipate from the grated pile.

Edit: …it was an Arko August post. Here’s my results. Arko performance but with two of my favorite Avon scents.

1689279407481.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom