What's new

Ikon Tech

After reading on Charcoal Goods website that their Level 3 baseplate shaves similar to Ikon Tech, I order one and shaved with it today.

It was one of my best shaves ever. It shaves very close, aggressive but smooth. It was better than my 2013 R41.

I hope Charcoal goods L3 will shave similar or better. It's on order.

What is others opinion about Ikon Tech?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As someone with the tech, is there any appreciable difference between that and the l3? Oc or cc?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jeremy, any initial thoughts on the differences between the Tech and the PAA?

David, when Jeremy's done with his test drive on the PAA, it's on its way to you.

Is there PAA tour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ikon Tech is not the least bit comfortable. Haven't touched it in a few weeks. Every blade feels tuggy, and I don't like that raw feel of blade that this razor gives you. If I want to go aggressive, the Fatip OCs are far better for my face.

The Ikon Tech is not the least bit comfortable. Haven't touched it in a few weeks. Every blade feels tuggy, and I don't like that raw feel of blade that this razor gives you. If I want to go aggressive, the Fatip OCs are far better for my face.
great example of YMMV, Fatip never worked for me. I will give it a try again.

I agreed with this six months ago. Since then, I switched to Astra SP and Polsilver Super Iridium blades and switched from steep blade angle to shallow. I'm now really enjoying the Ikon Tech, but it's still the tuggiest among my top four (including the Charcoal Level 3, PAA DOC Evolution and R41 2011). I haven't used my FaTip in a year, but I'm pulling it out to reacquaint with for the March razor of the month...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just my two cents. I have only had 2 shaves with the pAa. I used the an Astra blade. Definitely a much prickiler feel then the tech, the tech to me is smooth as butter. The end result was marginally closer maybe, but less consistent. The re were a few bits of stubble. I found the pAa did not leave much residual lather so going back over the same place was harder.

With the tech, I can barely feel it on my skin, and I don't have to pay attention. I nipped myself with the PAA. Very enjoyable shave though.

Did not shave today, but I loaded it up with a feather for tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi gents,

I had my third shave with the PAA DOC evo this morning. It blew the iKon Tech – my previous daily driver – out of the water in almost all regards.

I lathered up with Cremo, which is my gold standard for slickness, cushion, and glide. Got one weeper by my Adam’s apple, even though I was being very careful. To contrast, I cut myself about twice a year on the tech. The tech is my brainless, carefree, BBS shave. Not sure if I would ever get to that level with the Evo. It requires focus. At the same time, the Evo is not that aggressive. No razor burn to speak of. It is, however, extremely efficient.

Both the Tech and the Evo give me BBS. The Evo does it in two passes, and localized cleanup. The Tech in a solid 3 passes.

It is now 9 hours since shaving with the Evo, and I still have BBS. With the Tech, it’s downgraded to DFS by now.

The Evo, overall, is a huge winner. I will use it for the week and then send it back, gratefully.

This experience makes me very curious about a couple other razors that I have not tried, but that look promising:

Very interested:
Asylum Rx
RR Wunderbar
Charcoal L3 CC/OC – what is the difference?

Sorta Interested:
ATT SE
Colonial General SE
B&R Stainless Steel Adjustable Razor
Rocknell SE50
ATT SE
Timeless (dare I open this can of worms?)

Glad you like it!

The only one on your list that I've tried is the L3 OC. So I can't really compare, except that the L3 OC is very similar to the PAA on my face.

@CzechCzar the Asylum Rx is a fabulous razor in every respect - with a Pro Super blade it easily matches the 2011 R41 and Shavecraft Tech and it is a beautifully designed and built masterpiece.
It's basically a massively improved Cobra!
With a standard Feather Pro it is also a great great razor in every way.

The Rocnel SE50 feels Mild but is very efficient - it has the big blade gap, small exposure combination like the vintage Wardonias so it's a very weird feeling shave, like it's wiping off the stubble with a cloth.
And it looks and feels like a hammer...

I cannot wait to try the PAA DOC Evo now after your report!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
@CzechCzar the Asylum Rx is a fabulous razor in every respect - with a Pro Super blade it easily matches the 2011 R41 and Shavecraft Tech and it is a beautifully designed and built masterpiece.
It's basically a massively improved Cobra!
With a standard Feather Pro it is also a great great razor in every way.

The Rocnel SE50 feels Mild but is very efficient - it has the big blade gap, small exposure combination like the vintage Wardonias so it's a very weird feeling shave, like it's wiping off the stubble with a cloth.
And it looks and feels like a hammer...

I cannot wait to try the PAA DOC Evo now after your report!

Very interesting.. is one of those two closer, do you find?

Hmmm... I thought my next razor would be a Timeless, but this Asylum RX seems to be a very bright shiny object.

Marcus, how does the RX with a Super Pro compare with a current-version stainless Mongoose with a Super Pro, if you know?

Hmmm... I thought my next razor would be a Timeless, but this Asylum RX seems to be a very bright shiny object.

Marcus, how does the RX with a Super Pro compare with a current-version stainless Mongoose with a Super Pro, if you know?
Honestly I have only good things to say about the Asylum Rx.

As I understand it, the current SS Mongoose is quite a bit milder (although I don't have one).
Very few razors can match the Rx for aggression.
I had an earlier version Mongoose and it shaved a lot more like a DE, the head is thicker and clunkier.
The Rx shaves like a super Injector and has a narrow very manouverable head.

If you can ever get your hands on one of the prototype Alumigoose v1 I suspect you would love it - the Alumigoose v1 is FIERCE as the Shavecraft Tech and incredibly smooth, much smoother than any other razor we've discussed here.
Unfortunately they only made 200 Alumigoose v1.
The Alumigoose v2 is a meek and mild effort by comparison.

Top Bottom