What's new

If you could only have one meerschaum...

I have an SMS and a CAO. Both steak fine. The CAO has probably never been waxed and I'm at the least he third owner.
My recently aquired cao is my favorite turkish meer of the ones I currently have. I also have 2 sms, 4 african meers of various makers, a vintage pipe carved by hayim pinhas I got unsmoked, and a gourd calabash.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have an Altinok, vintage Pioneer Deluxe, an unknown African, a few cheaps. But I have been spending some time around Ahmet Govem's site. COA and SMS are both well established and well regarded.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
To me, frequent waxing goes completely against the grain of why I smoke a pipe, to relax...but to each his own! Not in a hurry to have my pipes color up. It happens when it happens, or it doesn't.

I cannot imagine doing this. What a PITA. I think I've waxed my IMP maybe 7-8 times in the 6 years I've had it, and I haven't waxed my Cor yet.
Yeah... I make way too much of a mess to wax my meers frequently.

I've also heard that some guys will do cycles of smoking it daily for a few months, wax it, put it down for a month, smoke it daily for a few months, wax it, put it down for a month, etc. They swear by the rest period having some major affect.

It's all broscience to me. :lol:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Waxing to me is more about protecting and maintaining the pipe. And not messy the way I do it. I'll share some tips come March Meerschaum Madness.

Yeah... I make way too much of a mess to wax my meers frequently.

I've also heard that some guys will do cycles of smoking it daily for a few months, wax it, put it down for a month, smoke it daily for a few months, wax it, put it down for a month, etc. They swear by the rest period having some major affect.

It's all broscience to me. :lol:
Well I'm planning to smoke (almost) nothing but meers in March. Split fairly evenly between the IMP & the Cor.

I'll probably do a wax job on both after the madness is over.

Here are three shapes I've been looking at. First two are imp the third is a tekin.

Hard to tell but this one is paneled. It looks slightly octagonal from the top and bottom.
$_1.jpg

This one comes with a second churchwarden stem.
s-l400.jpg

s-l400-1.jpg

It was hard to show photographically that my Imp was paneled also, until it started to develop so.e color.

All of those look like they would do nicely as the "one, true meer". Personally, I'd lean toward either of the Imps (waxing that faux plateau might suck), but honestly all of those pipes look great.

It was hard to show photographically that my Imp was paneled also, until it started to develop so.e color.

All of those look like they would do nicely as the "one, true meer". Personally, I'd lean toward either of the Imps (waxing that faux plateau might suck), but honestly all of those pipes look great.
I am leaning toward the imp's as well even though the tekin is a bit cheaper.

The paneled one is probably my favorite. The stem is a dark green swirl acrylic. Looks classic but not completely standard either. It has the largest bowl of the three and the highest price lol.

The blowfish freehand is nice and very interesting. The second stem is a plus but I'm not sure how much I would use it. I like the shape but would like it more if it was symmetrical. Can't see it from one pic but one side of the pipe is flat like the pic but the opposite side is a smooth curve. It is less expensive than the first pipe and has a slightly smaller bowl. This one was my wifes favorite :001_rolle

Literally the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it.

I’ve only been smoking meers for 3 months give or take. I only own 3 meerschaums and that’s plenty for me. I own an IMP smooth bent egg, a Rick Black rusticated straight, and a H. Cor smaller smooth bent egg spigot. If I had to pick only one to keep, it would be the IMP. I smoke probably 8-10 bowls a week in this pipe and it’s coloring nicely. Thinking about it now, I smoke more bowls out of my IMP than any of my other pipes. I’m sure that’s because I can smoke it multiple times without resting it. I’m glad I bought my meeerscaums. :001_smile

Top Bottom