What's new

Identifying Halston Cologne and AS

I have a fairly old bottle of Halston, and only know its Halston due to the shape of the bottle. The label is long gone, and I'm trying to figure out which Halston it is. They came from my father, whose been gone now 14 years. It's dark, really dark glass, with a black cap, and was probably given to him in the 90's if I had to guess. (Might have been earlier, but don't believe by much). I only have the cologne, which came in a spray bottle, and I'm assuming it's a cologne and not an edt, due to the size of the bottle.

I really like the sort of spicy scent, and my wife absolutely loves it on me. I'd like to buy, or find if it's not in production, the aftershave, or maybe a matched set, but there are several Halston products, with different formulas or names. There's Z-14, Z-12, and I-14 right off the bat, and possible others. Anyone know which was made around the 90's, or how to identify which one I have?

I don't believe it's Z-14, as the bottle pictures online appear to be a less dark glass, but then that could be the lighting when the picture was taken, although it looks much lighter. The bottle I have is dark, really dark, however, if you hold it to light, you can actually discern the level of the fluid, so it's not totally opaque. I'm hoping that given the time frame, just maybe there was only 1 or 2 formulas in production, if anyone knows anything about Halston and can shed some light on which was or wasn't.

Thanks

I own two different Halstons, the Z-14 and I-12. The Z-14 is woody and green right out of the bottle, whereas the I-12 is citrusy and floral. The two have similar bottles, but a slight difference in how the cap leans. Can you take a pic and post it? I believe I can help figure out what you have. I would check online sources for product such as aftershave and gift sets. I would assume the Z-14 version can still be had in aftershave. I snagged a Z-14 gift set after Christmas for half off at Walgreens, so product is still out there. By the way, both versions are nice fragrances, the Z-14 being more common.

Both 1-12 and Z-14 would certainly have been available in the 1990s. Each was first released in 1976. I would have said that the 1-12 came in a dark brown bottle and Z-14 in a distinctly grayer with some greenish blue hue to it bottle. But a quick review of Google images indicates to me that Halston (or whoever took over) has packaged both scents in each color of bottle over the years, and the darkness of the bottles seems to have varied quite a bit, too. I-12 is a pretty distinct scent to me, and I would have considered it the more green and definitely the more woody of the two, with Z-14 more citrus and metallic. But you might have a look at the various reviews on-line, such as on Basenotes and see what you think is closest to what you have. I am guessing that the current versions and the 1976 versions are rather different with the 1976 version being better. I would not guess when the scent started to go down hill. Seems strange for the label on the bottom of the bottle to come off. I do not think there were ever any other labels on the bottle.

I like both scents with a preference for the I-12, which I would consider the less accessible scent.

I'm horrible at detecting scents/base notes, and it's more pleasing, or hey, I can smell this and like it, vs I can't or can barely detect a scent. (Horrible sense of smell for some scents). To me, there's sort of a spicy scent to it, but maybe my wife can describe it if I ask her if it smells citrus or woodsy.

To me the bottle looks dark brown, or extremely deep gray, and I don't see any green hue, but will look again tonight. I have noticed that some listings appear to have the top or neck canted to one side, as opposed to more strait up and down, but no rhyme or reason, as I've seen both in both bottle styles, so there goes that idea. (My bottle is strait, or I think it is, with a black plastic collar and cap).

Do does the color of the cologne appear the same, if I was to spray some into my hand or onto a white piece of paper?

Maybe one of the local department stores carries it, with samples out. I can squirt a little and smell it, as while I can't accurate describe it, I would recognize it.

So nothing on the bottom of the bottle, eh?

<Maybe one of the local department stores carries it, with samples out. >

Or even a fairly inexpensive store. I do not know that I could describe the relative scents very well!

Nope, no label on the bottom, you can see were it once resided, but its long gone. I've gone blurry looking at bottles on eBay, and it seems they used nearly every smoked, gray, or brown bottle on several different scents.

My wife is always willing to head to the local mall, so maybe I'll offer...I don't frequent the mall often. I go to a store to buy, not shop, run in, get what I want, run out. Only exception is say a flea market type, when your looking for several categories or items.

<it seems they used nearly every smoked, gray, or brown bottle on several different scents. >

You are probably right about that!

Hello. I'm very new here. I was hoping that someone would know if this bottle of cologne is Halston? If not, where did it come from?

I've been trying to find one like it for years using Google Image Search, and I can't find anything. It appears to be uranium glass under black light, however the glass looks to be green only at the top and bottom? For a second I thought that the cologne itself was green because of the clear glass at the top. However, the cologne is indeed clear.

It has no markings except for (painted on?) white, smudged and mostly rubbed off lettering on the front of the glass bottle. It's got a woodsy smell, and kind of reminds me of Ralph Lauren in the green bottle with gold cap.

You have no idea how appreciative I'd be to finally know what this is. I'm not interested in the value or hoping for it to be anything "special". I would really just like to put this mystery to bed, because otherwise, it'll continue to drive me crazy, lol.

Thanks in advance!
Mandy ♡

Attachments

• IMG_20240430_160151.jpg
    IMG_20240430_160151.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240430_160212.jpg
    IMG_20240430_160212.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240430_160224.jpg
    IMG_20240430_160224.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 5