What's new

How to use the Alum Block

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Recently I've seen a lot of debate regarding the use of the Alum Block.
For those who do not know, what exactly is the Alum Block?
"An Alum Block is a crystal-like stone that is moistened with cold water and gently rubbed over the entire face to act as an antiseptic for razor burn. It can also help to stop bleeding of nicks and cuts. So the Alum block, used after shaving, has excellent antiseptic properties and a styptic effect, closing the pores and leaving the skin silky soft."
This is something that most of us already now.
The real question seems to be: "How to properly use it?"
Essentially there are two slightly different ways.

One way is this:

1. After shaving apply a wet Alum Block all over your face;
2. Leave it on one or two minutes;
3. Rinse it off with cold water;
4. Apply your favorite aftershave balm or skin moisturizer.

The second way is this:

1. After shaving apply a wet Alum Block all over your face;
2. Leave it on your skin, WITHOUT rinsing it off;
3. Apply your favorite aftershave balm or skin moisturizer.

The two methods shown above have only one, huge difference: rinsing off the Alum or not.
That is the real question.
I have used both methods for years, and I like using both depending on which balm I apply after.
So, my conclusion is that, in my opinion, both techniques are correct.
Try both and see what you prefer or what works better for you.
Or do like me and enjoy using both methods!

P.S. If you go at www.gentlemans-shop.com, at the video section, there is a nice video on "how to properly shave".
At the end of this short film Robert Johnston, owner of The Gentleman's Shop and a Master Barber for 25 years, uses the Alum Block and, WITHOUT rinsing it off, puts a balm on his face.

If you use a "Alum block", dos that means that you close your skin, make it "impenetrable" for the alcohol in your after shave? Now that the alcohol is put in, as an "antiseptic". Dos that mean to, that the "flavour" of your after shave, doesn't "stay" so long????

For the record, I only use a Alum on my nicks.. but doesn't really do the trick for me.... mostly I use a small piece of paper... heu.. from whatever in the bathroom is flying around...:w00t::w00t::w00t:

Just wondering... :thumbup1:

For me, paper doesn't cut it. :huh: I mean, paper doesn't uncut it. Styptic pencil does wonders though. Had to use it for this reason for the first time last night. Discovered my skin greatly prefers Feathers and Merkur Ueberrostfrei's over CVSs.

I too use the alum block with and without washing off. The only difference I've noticed is if I wash it off I don't get that wonderful alum taste if I accidentally get my tongue near it. :w00t: Either way, I tend to pat-dry my skin, then talc, then aftershave.

I use option number two (leaving the alum on and applying balm afterwards) and it has been working well for me. It definitely tells me if my technique is off.

When I finish mys have, I do a warm water rinse to get the soap off, a cold water rinse to close my pores. Then I wet an alum block and rub it all over my face. I then start to clean up. After a couple minutes I do another cold water rinse to remove the alum left on my face. I then splash some witch hazel on my damp face and continue cleaning up. When I have cleaned everything, I apply my aftershave and then wash my hands. All done! :thumbup:

The use of alum is all a matter of personal preference. Both ways work, and whatever way you use it, if it does the job for you, then who's to say you're wrong.

For me I do the second way, and rinse it off. That works for me. :thumbup1:

When I finish mys have, I do a warm water rinse to get the soap off, a cold water rinse to close my pores. Then I wet an alum block and rub it all over my face. I then start to clean up. After a couple minutes I do another cold water rinse to remove the alum left on my face. I then splash some witch hazel on my damp face and continue cleaning up. When I have cleaned everything, I apply my aftershave and then wash my hands. All done! :thumbup:

This is my preferred routine, too. :thumbup1: I don't like the tast of the alum if I don't do the rinse.

I rub my fingers on the alum to get them to be sticky for stretching skin while shaving. Where in the Wiki would this go?

Top Bottom