What's new

How to properly wash out oil based pomades

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, here is a quick and easy tutorial on how to properly wash out oil based pomades. After my write-up on The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age I got a few PMs asking information on oil based pomades, how to use them and mainly how to remove them, a topic that seems a major concern for those completely new to traditional pomades.

As just stated above the entire process is very simple and requires only 2 key ingredients: olive oil and dish soap.

So, here is how I proceed when I desire to wear a quality oil based pomade for a few days in a row.

Day 1: On clean and dry hair I apply the pomade, style and comb.

Day 2: I shampoo my hair normally, dry, apply, style and comb.

Day 3: Exactly like day 2.

Day 4: When it's time to wash everything out I proceed as follows: on dry hair I apply about one spoon of olive oil and massage it carefully. The olive oil quickly breaks down the pomade and this becomes easy to remove. Using a few drops of water I lather the dish soap in my hands first and on my head immediately afterwards. With hot water I wash everything out and the "degrease process" is complete. At this point I can follow up with a regular shampoo and a conditioner if I desire, but both these steps are optional to me.

Please note that the in between shampoos on day 2 and 3 are to avoid massive build up on the hair, since normal shampoos partially remove the pomade from the hair. But since normal shampoos alone are not enough that's why the olive oil & dish soap combo comes into play.

A final consideration on the entire process. As you can see it's easy, quick, effective and economical. Although you can find several specific products on the market for this purpose I continue to prefer this one. It's a genuine Old School method and what our Grandfathers used at their time.

Last edited:
Marco, thank you for posting this guide. It certainly demystifies the process since all I had ever read abut it made it seem almost impossible to do without using loads of dish detergent or other harsh detergents. And just about everyone has a bottle of olive oil stashed in the pantry.

Marco ...based on your related write ups on this topic, I just ordered an oil-based pomade and these "degrease instructions" will help a great deal. Many thanks.

This is excellent. I may try a real pomade now. I've been really wanting to try some of the Rumble 59 pomades.

Thank you!

Great info there Marco. Another thing for us retro guys 'n' gals that I found is if you use a little water based pomade first then apply the oil or wax based pomade it washes out with normal shampoo on the first day. Works for me. I'm currently using either Brylcream or Black & White on top of a store own brand styling putty. Comes out everytime for me.

For me I use petroleum pomade Monday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday I use Groom & Clean instead of pomade, and by Sunday, the pomade is completely washed out just using regular Shampoo. I usually don't style my hair on Sunday.

Gents, I wanted to post a user update to this thread. Using Marco's suggestions I spread about one tablespoon of olive oil(Spanish if you must know with a fantastic floral scent) in my hair and worked it in well. I then followed this up with two washes and rinses with Dawn dish detergent. Results were superb. I am quite surprised by two things. First I circumvented Marco's routine. Instead of daily shampooing with normal products and then stripping out the grease on the fourth day, I went ahead and cleaned it out about 24 hours after first applying the Reuzel. I found this to my liking since with my blonde to light brown hair I get a really greasy look to my hair in a hurry. Second, I am completely taken aback at how good my scalp and hair feels. I am gobmsacked by this because I fully expected my hair to itch like the fleas from a thousand camels had infested my scalp. I have dry enough scalp as it is without stripping it away with harsh detergents. And anyone who has used Dawn knows how well it works to remove oils. If I had not been using an oil based pomade my hair would look like I was attached to one of Tesla's coils. Instead my scalp is calm, and my hair looks great. I know it is popular to poo poo petrolatum based products but I do believe for the most part they are very neutral to most people's skin. In any case, take assurance that Marco's washing method works and works well. I will skip all hair products for today and start again on the morrow. I just don't know whether it will be Reuzel or Railcar!

I wanted to revisit this thread as I am thinking about buying my first tin of petroleum based pomade tomorrow after I get a haircut and that reminds me of what my barber told me a while ago and which I've been abiding ever since...only washing my hair twice a week and conditioning it three times a week while only rinsing with water on the days that I don't shampoo or condition. I have noticed a huge difference, for the better, in both the appearance and health of my hair. I have also read the same in many of the leading men's magazines as well as online articles talking about hair health. Mind you, I have only been using water based pomades up until this point.
So my question is, "should I still wash my hair out with shampoo as you mention above, Marco, or would it be okay to not even rinse my hair out the morning after and just run a comb through it"? Would it still be easy to style that way or would it be unruly in places such as the crown of my head that tends to have the worst bedhead?
Also, what petroleum based pomade would you recommend that I start with? As far as the water based pomades, I really like Layrite, Railcar, and Uppercut Deluxe.

Nice thread revival. Timely as well. Here is what I have been doing lately with the oil based products. As you may have read in my other posts in this thread I have to watch the oils for aesthetic reasons. I cannot just fluff my hair out the next day after leaving it in all night, add more grease and be good to go. I do not wear my hair in a slick back so just adding more grease and combing down doesn't work. Like you I find that over washing my hair is not a good option. What to do?

What I normally do if I have a water based pomade is to just thoroughly rinse the next day with the warmest water my scalp is comfortable with. So I tried it with the oil based pomades and it works okay. Again, my hair is not over loaded with product so the very warm water sort of lifts away a good portion of the product. You can easily tell there is still some product left in the hair. I buff the hair dry with a towel and brush or comb into place. If I need more product I only have to add a little. Again, I am dodgy with the oil based products only because of hair colour. If your hair is darker you will likely be able to leave it in longer or use more at one time.

Nice thread revival. Timely as well. Here is what I have been doing lately with the oil based products. As you may have read in my other posts in this thread I have to watch the oils for aesthetic reasons. I cannot just fluff my hair out the next day after leaving it in all night, add more grease and be good to go. I do not wear my hair in a slick back so just adding more grease and combing down doesn't work. Like you I find that over washing my hair is not a good option. What to do?

What I normally do if I have a water based pomade is to just thoroughly rinse the next day with the warmest water my scalp is comfortable with. So I tried it with the oil based pomades and it works okay. Again, my hair is not over loaded with product so the very warm water sort of lifts away a good portion of the product. You can easily tell there is still some product left in the hair. I buff the hair dry with a towel and brush or comb into place. If I need more product I only have to add a little. Again, I am dodgy with the oil based products only because of hair colour. If your hair is darker you will likely be able to leave it in longer or use more at one time.
Yeah my hair is a medium brown color and I wear it in a hard part with very short tapered sides/back. I think with many people on here who are used to water-based pomades and are looking to venture into the world of oil-based ones, I like the ease of water-based and how low maintenance they are. For example, with water-based, I never have had to worry about the effects they will have on my pillowcases, towels, or anything that I use on a daily basis because they don't contain any petrolatum or wax. I also don't have to worry about what effect, if any, they might have on my face especially while sleeping at night from the product that might rub off on the pillowcase while tossing and turning seeing that a lot of times I'm either a side or stomach sleeper.
To the points above, if I were to just rinse with water when using an oil-based, when I do towel dry, some of the product will obviously come off on the towel. I'm not going to want to use this part of the towel on my body as I don't want any of the oil to be on my skin. Again, water-based are just much more low maintenance, IMO unless someone can prove me wrong. It could be just a habitual thing and I'm blowing things out of proportion, but these are the things that I want to look at before buying a tin and then not use it because I didn't get all of my questions answered beforehand.

Gents, I too, was first skeptical about the oil-based pomades because of the process to get them out. However, I made the leap and haven't look backed. If you just follow Marco and Todd's process to get the pomade out, you should have no problem. I have sandy blond hair like Todd and use his method, as I do not wash and shampoo my hair everyday. I generally keep my pomade in for about 4-5 days, using only conditioner every other day to clean my hair. When it's time to take it out, process is olive oil, dawn, and a good shampoo and conditioner. On a side note, you will be amazed at how healthy your hair will be by not washing it everyday and allowing the oils from the pomade and conditioner to keep your hair moisturized.

I tend to stick to the hot water rinse when I don't want my Pomade out entirely. This takes the buildup out to my liking, usually out from the tips and a lot more from the thinner/shorter parts of my hair (sides and back). I comb it through while it is still damp and in the morning (I like to shower at night, my skin feels better the next day) add some topper and head on out with a clean comb and fresher feeling. Then in about 5 days I do the full olive oil and soap wash.

If I'm really feeling greasy on top during the middle I've found a little shampoo can actually help pull more out, I'm currently using a dandruff shampoo (it being winter I have an issue with that).

After using Dax about 25 years ago, I switched to water based pomades. The Dax was ruining my pillowcases and I just couldn't get it out of my hair. My hair is very thick and full and is now mostly gray (used to be dark brown, back in the day). The pomades I like the best are Suavecito and JS Sloan, but something was missing in the look. After all the talk in this forum about oil based pomades and how to get them out, I bought a can of Murray's Superior, the last time I was in the drug store. Just a little over 3 bucks, so not much invested.

I love the look of Murray's in my hair. LOVE! Hold is great, smell is great. Here's my problems. After applying, I can't get it off my hands! I wash with a pumice soap ... and after three or four washes (and scrubbing), I can still feel it on my hands and can see water beading up on my hands. Also, I'm having trouble getting it out of my hair. I tried Groom and Clean, which worked ... sort of. I'm still shampooing 4 times after the G&C, but can still feel the pomade in my hair. All that shampooing isn't good for my hair! I'm reluctant to try olive oil, because washing cooking oil down the drain can cause a huge blockage. It freezes in the pipeline, due to high freezing point. I've seen it happen in kitchens. Any suggestions would be helpful, especially for my hands.

One suggestion I have read is to skip the olive oil and cover your hair with a little bit of a water-based pomade and then use the Dawn, shampoo, and conditioner method. As for getting the Murray's off your hands, I just use hand soap and then wipe them really good with a damp towel, it generally takes most of it off.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, for cleaning oil based pomades off my hands and comb I use baby wipes first and a good hot water/dish soap wash afterwards. The results are excellent and everything gets perfectly clean. :thumbup1:

P.S. With a 3 years old boy around baby wipes are always available at my home!

I just use Groom and Clean. I put it in my hair after I get back from the gym in the mornings, go to sleep, wake up, shower, rinse it out of my hair, and dry it with a towel. I work nights, so I style my hair right before I leave at night for work. Talk about living a backwards life.

Top Bottom