What's new

How To Make A Blade Bank For Under 50 Cents….

I just used a large prescription pill container and slit the locking top with a Dreml diamond blade. Hopefully the locking cap keeps things safe.

Am I the only goober who actually uses a tin blade bank that you can buy retail?

I got mine for free from Maggards when they had a small error in my shipment awhile back. So I guess that's good. But I like it.

I spent last night reading through this thread, some great ideas here :thumbup1: In regard to whether or not to recycle or throw in trash, I did find out that here in the San Diego area, I should place used razors in a puncture proof container and dispose them in the trash. That being said, I'm brainstorming some ideas for possibly making a temporary blade storage box out of some scrap Redwood to use prior to disposal; who knows it might even look cool.

Good idea. I'm amazed by all of the people who are afraid to cut a slit in a tin can or who think it will break their knife!!

If a tin can breaks your knife, buy a better knife next time.

I use an empty altoids can. Been using it over a year and still only half full. When it's full I tape it shut and toss it in the recycle bin.

About 3-4 years ago I made a blade bank from a plastic 35mm slide storage box. I cut out a slit in the top and glued the top on. I guess there are a couple hundred blades in there.

$WIN_20170204_10_26_24_Pro.jpg

I would but a little bit of water and rinse out the can and put some rubbing alcohol in it to limit the chance of any residue rotting and smelling out.

I use an empty altoids tin or flip-top band-aids tin, whichever is to hand when the previous container is full. When full, tape shut, throw in trash.

I'm always mildly amused when it's the band-aids tin, because razor blades are, like, the exact opposite of band-aids.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
In science class we used to take glass jars, fill them with Coke and put nails in them...the nails would dissolve over a few days. Could you not use a glass jar and coke to completely eliminate your blades?

rtw Said this . Is it true that the nails will dissolve?

Am I the only goober who actually uses a tin blade bank that you can buy retail?

I got mine for free from Maggards when they had a small error in my shipment awhile back. So I guess that's good. But I like it.

Free is good, man. I make my own because I haven't gotten a free one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In science class we used to take glass jars, fill them with Coke and put nails in them...the nails would dissolve over a few days. Could you not use a glass jar and coke to completely eliminate your blades?

rtw Said this . Is it true that the nails will dissolve?

Technically, yes. _Fresh_ coke can dissolve iron. However, the carbolic acid rapidly converts to carbon dioxide and bubbles out, leaving only the phosphoric acid (thus the flat taste). That takes longer.

As a counter to that, for the people that run screaming at the idea, a swimming pool will also dissolve nails. The chlorine eats them. (I was a lifeguard and pool maintenance tech. If you wanted to get even with someone, you could throw some nails in 'yellow out' into the pool in the winter, and it would turn quite a bit of the pool brown)

I put a slit in an old contact lens solution bottle. I have been using it for about a year, and there is still a lot of room in it. The painted soup can is a good idea, and looks better than my ghetto fabulous bottle.

I use a small mini glad ware type container and have also used a screw top plastic shaving soap container. Blade banks are one of the few things I don't see spending any real money on.

Top Bottom