What's new

HOW TO CLEAN THE PATINA OFF A BRONZE RAZOR

My Lambda Ares was starting to patina and I wasn't much of a fan. So, I decided to check out different ways to clean it. Keep in mind that the Bronze metal that Lambda uses is very hard and may be the reason it reacts differently to the cleaning process. With that said, and after watching several YouTubers, I proceeded.
The first method was to pour some Ketchup in a container and cover the razor parts thoroughly, put ins a fridge and leave it for about 1/2 hour. RESULTS: NOTHING.
The second method
was to pour equal amounts of Ketchup and Water in a container. Put in the razor parts till fully covered and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then using a soft toothbrush, scrub each of the razor parts thoroughly and replace them in the ketchup mixture for another 3 minutes, repeat 2 more times till you reach the 10 minute (approx) mark. Rinse all the parts completely and then use toothpaste and toothbrush to scrub all the areas of all the razor parts, Rinse and dry. RESULTS: BETTER, MUCH BETTER
The third and final approach
was one given to me by Theo at Lambda. I used Dursol Shine polishing paste. Just use your hands no tools, not even a toothbrush. Let is set for a few minutes (I did 5) and then rinse with warm soapy water. RESULTS: EVEN BETTER, NOT PRISTINE (that would have taken more rubbing and time and I am basically lazy) BUT THE RESULTS WERE QUITE GOOD.

I Would love to hear other approaches to removing patina from bronze, not involving a Dremel or other mechanical object.

If it is a bead blasted razor and you don't want to lose the finish, Arm and Hammer Tooth Paste and a tooth brush work great.

Well I bought the Flitz product and it worked spectacularly. I used it on my Ares. I applied the paste with a Qtip. rubbed it around the surface and then immediately washed it off. I then dried/buffed with a microfibre cloth and amazingly, back to new, I highly recommend this product.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have some Flitz because people here love it. I bought Simichrome because Artisan Revere, who makes the best chef and paring knives I've ever used recommends it. After using them both, I prefer Simichrome. I apply it by hand, wearing those thin plastic gloves used for meal preparation, let it dry, then rub it off with a micro cloth.... Works perfectly.

I've polished matte stainless steel razors, bronze razors, a Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl, a matte finish titanium razor and several Ti handles.... hmmmm that might be it. It's chemical, not abrasive.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have some Flitz because people here love it. I bought Simichrome because Artisan Revere, who makes the best chef and paring knives I've ever used recommends it. After using them both, I prefer Simichrome. I apply it by hand, wearing those thin plastic gloves used for meal preparation, let it dry, then rub it off with a micro cloth.... Works perfectly.

I've polished matte stainless steel razors, bronze razors, a Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl, a matte finish titanium razor and several Ti handles.... hmmmm that might be it. It's chemical, not abrasive.
I started using Simichrome in the 1970's on the recommendation of the manager of the local BAP GEON Auto Parts store that I regularly hung out at. Trying to find parts for a 1961 Metropolitan wasn't easy.

~doug~

I will say this, I used Cape Cod (for Lambdas), it took me forever to get it done but I did. I did the same to my Overlander, made it all shiny, not because I intended it to but dabbing and all of that, I just used too much Flitz (for Overlander), had it over accumulate, ended up polishing it. This took me forever to do mind you.

I did one other thing so as to not to have to do it again for a long time as patina especially with my Lambdas is a big no no, while with the Overlander for now I'll leave it as is then I'll see over time. I also added Renaissance Wax after I finished to hopefully it will last a while longer.

I know people have polished Overlanders this was all by hand so in case some were wondering of the results, here you go. Mind you on all the razors, there was not that much patina on them but I didn't want any at all, like I said didn't mind for the Ovelrander to get polished but at least I know what to do now and have this thread saved for future reference. It was a first for me as well doing all this polishing so I was happy with the results.

20230930_153400.jpg

20230930_153405.jpg

20230930_153412.jpg

Needed this. Time to get some Flitz.

First time owning a brass razor and there’s already a water mark or something I can’t remove with just a cloth.

Time to make this thing pretty again…and maybe get it nickel plated (saw one a member had for sale here…it looks pretty good.)

My Lambda Ares was starting to patina and I wasn't much of a fan. So, I decided to check out different ways to clean it. Keep in mind that the Bronze metal that Lambda uses is very hard and may be the reason it reacts differently to the cleaning process. With that said, and after watching several YouTubers, I proceeded.
The first method was to pour some Ketchup in a container and cover the razor parts thoroughly, put ins a fridge and leave it for about 1/2 hour. RESULTS: NOTHING.
The second method
was to pour equal amounts of Ketchup and Water in a container. Put in the razor parts till fully covered and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then using a soft toothbrush, scrub each of the razor parts thoroughly and replace them in the ketchup mixture for another 3 minutes, repeat 2 more times till you reach the 10 minute (approx) mark. Rinse all the parts completely and then use toothpaste and toothbrush to scrub all the areas of all the razor parts, Rinse and dry. RESULTS: BETTER, MUCH BETTER
was one given to me by Theo at Lambda. I used Dursol Shine polishing paste. Just use your hands no tools, not even a toothbrush. Let is set for a few minutes (I did 5) and then rinse with warm soapy water. RESULTS: EVEN BETTER, NOT PRISTINE (that would have taken more rubbing and time and I am basically lazy) BUT THE RESULTS WERE QUITE GOOD.

I Would love to hear other approaches to removing patina from bronze, not involving a Dremel or other mechanical object.

If you want to stick with condiments, try hot sauce and a soft rag. Otherwise, Nevr-Dull, Cap Cod, Simichrome, or Flitz should work.

Bear in mind that polishes are abrasive and will do what they say over time: polish the surface.

The second method

I don't have these problems...I just like the patina 😄

Top Bottom