What's new

How much is too much to spend for a handle

He should take your 100 and run. Several in there will not be of any worth to you or anyone, most likely. Hmm...make $100 guaranteed today or sit and wait and try to collect $5 at a time each weekend you're at the flea market....

Yeah I wouldn't give him more than a $100 unless theres a hidden gem like a Simpson or a Rooney in the lot.

$5 a brush is a good deal. I wouldn't buy the whole box for any more than $100. Some in there will be nice, and others, well you know. Have to be at least 20 nice ones in there to make it worth your while.

There wasn't a Simpsons or Rooney in the bunch. A lot of them were in bad shape

If he's looking for an unreasonable amount, and some are in unrestorable condition, then I'd just pick out the ones that have potential, for $5 each. The butterscotches and highly colored ones come immediately to mind.

To me, several may not be worth it from the ones I see. $100 for the box load I think is way too much, IMHO. Just get the ones you want and a few for the BST.

The box is well worth a $100. I would pay that in a heartbeat. There has got to be 50 handles in there, let's say 25 are junk, that means you only need $4 each handle to break even. The average handle on eBay will go for about $10. So there is plenty of profit left in that box for $100. That's not counting there are probably some in there that would go for $15-$20 each.

There wasn't a Simpsons or Rooney in the bunch. A lot of them were in bad shape

If there aren't any Simpson's or Rooney's then I would buy the butterscotches and leave the rest for that price. At $1-3 for each useable one, maybe. At $5 each, definitely not

The box is well worth a $100. I would pay that in a heartbeat. There has got to be 50 handles in there, let's say 25 are junk, that means you only need $4 each handle to break even. The average handle on eBay will go for about $10. So there is plenty of profit left in that box for $100. That's not counting there are probably some in there that would go for $15-$20 each.

Thats all well and good but I wouldn't sell them on eBay. Id pick them up for the brush guys here. So long as I broke even on them counting gas, envelope prices, shipping, etc, Id be fine. Im going to try and go back this morning or this afternoon and make an offer on the whole box and see what he says. I bought 4 razors from him yesterday (A Senator, LC New, and 2 Short Comb News) and some injector blades, so hopefully, he'll do me right on the price. What would be the best way to distribute these to you fellows? I was thinking a quick Etsy store (photograph each brush, put a blanket price on each) and only send the link out on here, but how would I keep the general public out. Is there a way to setup a private etsy store or some better alternative?

If you can't get the all for a fair price ($100 is a fair price) just pick up all ever-ready and all butterscotch first ;)

Went back and the fella had already packed up for the day. I did get his number yesterday so I'll get in touch with him.

If you find this guy. I'd cherry pick what he has left. 2 days of of sitting on a table you prolly missed out on some. A good seller won't sell like that on the first day. He will want to sell all he can then dump the rest at the end.

Last edited:
OK, I'm going to be the contrarian here ... if he wouldn't go $100 for the box, I'd go back and cherry pick the best dozen for $5 each. I would avoid most anything with a wood handle because unless the wood is unusually nice (and most aren't) you're going to have to paint it. I would also avoid anything with a metal ring around the top of the brush, because you'll probably have to remove it to put in a new knot. Some of those are easy, some are a hassle. IMO, the sweet spot for a vintage restore is a bakelite brush that you can drill, fill, polish, drop your new knot into, and declare victory.

That said, there look to be some nice two-tones and butterscotches in there. Those are all a risk free proposition.

Pfft 100 and he wouldn't do it? How many brushes are in there? I would offer 3 dollars a handle for the whole box or just pick the ones you like. The butterscotch handles I can see are worth 5 a piece (buy them for me at that price and I will take them off your hands ;) ). Some of the brushes are either beyond repair or not shaving brushes (I see a couple barber brushes in there). So basically at 3 dollars a handle you would be paying probably 5 dollars a handle for the ones you might keep/restore. If he won't budge on price pick out the ones you like and offer him 4 a piece that is where I would go with this :) .

Top Bottom