What's new

How High to Hang a Hanging Strop?

Now that I've got "D"-rings affixed to the free ends of my leather and canvas strops (hat-tip to Tony Miller, for making them available; and to Slant-Fan, for the use of his punch), I want to screw an eye-hook into the door frame next to my shaving area, from which to hang the strop.

How high should I place the eye-hook? When I pull the strop taut, should it be
  • perpendicular to the door frame? forming a more obtuse (or acute) angle?
  • waist high? chest high?
What's the scoop on hanging a hanging strop?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I suspect a YMMV sort of thing. I like to have the hook chest-height, so I can pull the strop downward to form a 45 degree angle (more or less.)

I suspect a YMMV sort of thing. I like to have the hook chest-height, so I can pull the strop downward to form a 45 degree angle (more or less.)

+1 I would say what ever way you feel more comfortable is the best way .

Also If you have dogs cats or kids put it a little higher when not using it

Nick

The idea is to strop with as little pressure as possible. With no angle, it's easiest - so I mount mine waist high.

I think most will tell you waist high is the proper height. In the old days barbers had them hanging from the barbers chair and they were about waist high once the chair was adjusted.

Mine is off of the door knob. I seem to like the end I hold just slightly higher than the other end. To me certain razors like a bit of pressure while stropping, while some I do with little to none.

Glen

Mine's about belly button / bottom of ribcage level, and I'm very happy with it. I'd say just put it at the height that seems most natural.

Think about stropping. Waist high to elbow height, somewhere in that range should work best.

I know some guys prefer to hang it really low, that I don't get.

I did learn the importance of securing it into a stud. I use a TAUGHT strop and have yanked many a strop out of the wall.

I did learn the importance of securing it into a stud. I use a TAUGHT strop and have yanked many a strop out of the wall.

At my house, I'm the stud that holds the taut strop tight. As we were taught: you can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be led.

Top Bottom