What's new

How do you know when to use a new blade?

How do you know when to change blades?

By feel? Will it start cutting the skin?

Plus, about how many(on average.... I know everyone is different with different beards) shaves can you get out of a blade?

+1 on Roberts comment....
Every blade is different, but you will feel the difference. It also depends on your beard. If you have a coarse, heavy beard the blade will "dull" sooner. Also blade type plays in this as well. I have a heavy coarse beard and find that I can get about 4 shaves from a blade. Be sure to "flip" the blade between passes so you get the most for your money. You will feel the difference after the 3rd or forth shave. If you have a lighter beard you can get up to 5 shaves or so. Remember, blades are cheap so don't hesitate to change the blade out at the first sign of "tugging". Plus, you will notice the quality of the shave diminish if you try to squeez an exstra shave or 2 out of a dull blade. At 30+ pennies a blade, why bother??

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

I can never tell whether it's my technique that is bad one day or the blade has gone bad. I hate to blame the blade first. But if I get 3 constantly irritating shaves, using the same razor and same cream ofcourse, then it's time for the blade to be changed. But other than that, I really am not good enough to know exactly when it needs changing! I have been wanting to ask this same question for a while to some of our very experienced users. Often I have felt a pull and tug, but then with a proper angle, at the same spot, the blade cut like a knife through butter...so what gives? I don't think I have the perfect technique mastered for every single time I shave. Any views on this from the more experienced gentlemen?

for the price of blades do one of two things, pick a day of the week and change them that same day every week, or hopefully you have found or will find a brand that works for you and sooner or later you will know whether you can get somewhere between 3 and (?) shaves, whatever that number works out to be trash them faithfully on that shave don't try to squeeze 1 or 2 more shaves out, because that is when the nicks and irritation will occur and as mentioned the blade will be pulling instead of cutting

some brands I know I can get only 3 shaves and others I know I can get 5 maybe 6 but not 7, with enough shaves you'll know too

Personally, I don't wait for theblade to get bad. They're only pennies each shave and I just change them after a few shaves (usually 4 or 5), depending on the brand, or immediately if I get a rough shave with a new blade.

• Red Pack IP - 3 shaves, 4 in the Slant
  • Feather - 6 shaves (usually 2 in an HD or something, and then in the Slant for 4)
  • Derby - 5 shaves

3-4 or when it starts the dreaded pull. Chuck it and slide in a new sharp and cheap blade for your shaving pleasure!

+1 to everything above. After a few weeks you'll get a feel for when a blade is starting to go dull and this will become a non issue.

-M

OldSaw

The wife's investment
How do you know when to change blades?

By feel? Will it start cutting the skin?

Plus, about how many(on average.... I know everyone is different with different beards) shaves can you get out of a blade?

Let's see... Have you shaved with this blade before? If yes, toss it and load another. The blades are the cheapest part of this hobby. Why wait until it tugs?

If you feel you must get the most out of each blade, the upper lip is the acid test. It is one of the most difficult parts to shave ATG. If is skips, pulls, tugs or just plain doesn't shave easily, toss the blade and load another. I have even done this with a new blade on occasion if it can't shave my upper lip.

Some guys use the following technique. Is there a blade in the razor? If no, load a blade and shave. Leave the blade in the razor for the next shave. If the answer is yes, shave with the blade in the razor and then toss the blade and leave the razor empty. This way you will never use a blade more than twice and save all the hassle of changing blades after you discover mid shave that you should have changed before starting.

Top Bottom