What's new

How do you dry your brush after a shave?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I towel dry my brush and then place it in the world's best brush drying stand.

Chubby2-Best.inThaterBrushStand.480.9-30-20.JPG

This stand really is the bee's knees.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I only use one brush, a badger one, so mine is not necessarily dry the next day. Anyway, that's what I do. Thorough rinse, followed by a gentle squeeze, a couple of shakes, a few runs on the towel to dry the tips. I then place it on the stand. So far, so good...

I use synthetics exclusively that I put together myself and use them, (as they say in the racing world), drive it like I own it...meaning drive it till the wheels fall off!!

After a rinse I give it a squeeze followed by 8-10 flicks of the wrist with the tips against the heel of my other hand and put it on the shelf for the next shave... My brushes all usually are completely dry inside 1-2hrs on average if I had to use them again the same day I could no problem...

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
1. Rinse with fresh water, squeeze out excess.
2. Shake four times in the shower stall. Turn 90 degrees shake four more times. Do this until I’ve reached 270 degrees. 16 shakes total.
3. Rub on the towel with four up and down strokes for badger and synthetics. 8 for boar brushes. I use the same rotation as in the shakes.
4. Hang upside down.
5. Click my heels 3 times and say “there’s no place like my shave den.”
Okay I don’t actually do step five.
A little OCD?
My wife bought me a T-shirt that says I have CDO. OCD with the letters arranged alphabetically as the should be.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I always wonder why this question is asked so often here.
Honestly, I do not care how you dry your brush (upside, downside, shaken, stirred....brushed over a towel up, or down...), just make sure you do not put a wet/moist brush into an enclosed space (cabinet, and container). Just wash the soap and cream out thoroughly, this might be the most important part as left over residues will break down the hair. Believe me, I have removed many shedding knots from guys who tell me they do rinse their brushes out very well.....cutting away the hairs, I often see a lot of dried soap/cream residue.

Shake the excess out, swipe it on a paper towel, and let it dry on the top of my bedroom nightstand. I don't keep my brushes in the bathroom. Damp brushes go on top of my nightstand and dry in the bottom drawer. Neither my brushes nor I want to be exposed to whatever hair spray, deod, cleaners or air freshener that my wife sprays in the bathroom.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I can't remember the last time I rinsed a brush, let alone worry about how to dry it. Why waste all that soap?

I always wonder why this question is asked so often here.
Honestly, I do not care how you dry your brush (upside, downside, shaken, stirred....brushed over a towel up, or down...), just make sure you do not put a wet/moist brush into an enclosed space (cabinet, and container). Just wash the soap and cream out thoroughly, this might be the most important part as left over residues will break down the hair. Believe me, I have removed many shedding knots from guys who tell me they do rinse their brushes out very well.....cutting away the hairs, I often see a lot of dried soap/cream residue.

I might not believe you if I didn’t see it first hand. I replaced my grandpas brush with a B&B boar back in 2015 for him. And he treated the new one exactly like the old one. Doesn’t look like he ever rinsed it and you can see the soap stuck all over it. And stuck in the old one still. It looks green too, maybe it’s mold?

56CE48C5-CD01-4F95-94D7-BF69061617C2.jpeg839250FD-66A0-44E2-B3BC-310711D6876E.jpegF31F254D-F93A-47BF-953A-FC5B16AFBD38.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I might not believe you if I didn’t see it first hand. I replaced my grandpas brush with a B&B boar back in 2015 for him. And he treated the new one exactly like the old one. Doesn’t look like he ever rinsed it and you can see the soap stuck all over it. And stuck in the old one still. It looks green too, maybe it’s mold?

View attachment 1409981View attachment 1409982View attachment 1409983
Anthrax.

I'm trying to build up an immunity!

I'm thinking about puttin' goats where we had our chickens and starting a combination business: sell goat cheese and goat yogurt on one side and Petri Dishes filled with goat dung on the other, along with samples from my old brushes!

See, Rudy is an ethical brush maker, he tells people to CLEAN their brushes. If I was a DENTIST I'd tell the little kids to eat all the fruit roll ups they want just before bed, forget the flossing..... How in the world can you get ahead in life without an angle?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Honestly tho, my brushes are ALWAYS dried out, sometimes rinsed, depending on mood, or if I forget and start wandering around in the woods....you know, regular life. See something shiny and go chase after it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

View attachment 1409981View attachment 1409982View attachment 1409983
My granddad did this too. But in my post I was more referring to badger brushes, that is where I have my experience from with soap filled brush knots. Boar bristles are maybe much more resilient to the soap/cream.

Top Bottom