What's new

how do I use thiers issard paste

:blink: how do I use thiers issard paste stick correctly ??

I applied it to my Thiers Issard suede strop with good initial results. However, after several applications the suede surface has become hardened like the surface of a pair of worn suede hiking boots, providing little strop effect.

When I rub the paste in to the surface as directed it seems to "gum up" the suede

Any suggestions ??

You might want to try warming it up somewhat - maybe with your hands, or a light dip in some warm/hot water - to make it more maleable. After you apply it, try distributing it evenly by rubbing firmly with the handle of a butter knife or small bottle, or something. Can be hard to smooth, but it's possible.

I use it on a travel (paddle strop) and it's been working pretty well for me.

Welcome to B&B, btw. What are you shaving with?

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I think I may have put on too much to begin with

I'm currently using a 5/8 Henckel's from a 7 day set I bought on eBay. I'm guessing by the style of its original leather case it's from pre/post war days.

I've bought "several dozen" other blades with good restoration potential on eBay and am setting up shop in my garage to begin restoring these blades to their former glory.

I appreciate having this forum to talk shop and swap ideas. I'm all about spreading the word about straight blades.

Alterkrieger,

I have found that the TI Pate de Rasoir works best with, and is most easily to, fabric strops.

I mucked up a TI paddle (the napp on this strop is very suedy) with the paste.

Applied to a cotton webbing strop and all was roses :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Thank You Phat Man ! I will give that a try !! :thumbup1:

As in your experience, I too mucked up the suede surface. With the fabric approach, how much do you apply ? I am guessing just enough to give the fabric that pastey feel ?

Last edited:
Altenkrieger,

Yup - don't overdo it, overwise the strop will remain sticky and difficult to strop with :sad:

I applied it to a SRD cotton webbing strop in criss-cross X - patterns, then rubbed it in really well with a micro-fbre cloth.

The Pate has an annoying tendency to clump together into what look like eraser crumbs, which is one of the reasons I prefer to use it on fabric strops.

So, apply it lightly, rub it in and leave overnight. Try a test strop. If you need to apply more paste, repeat.

I have found that the Pate gives me really nice edge, that is a pleasure to shave with.

Good luck :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

i will second a bove , ti rasoir works a treat on canvas. I did'nt like the ti paddle for that reason on the wide one the paste made the surface more packed in places and became uneven surface. i rubed in very even but the surface was no longer flat

For Clarity are you talking about the traditional Thiers-Issard No. 260 razor strop paste. For use with any of the above strops for razor sharpening and cleaning.

Of the new diamond strop paste system from Thiers-Issard, comprising four pastes as seen below ranging from 6 to 0.25 micron diamond particle size. Supplied in the ‘Dia-Drop’ dispenser. Pictured below.

For the latter new Diamond strop system has any one tried this on, or know how it would work with balsa wood strops?

Last edited:
For the latter new Diamond strop system has any one tried this on, or know how it would work with balsa wood strops?

I've used it on the 4 paddle strop and I like it. TI's own instructions state 'a surface of soft wood such as balsa can be chosen though we prefer leather'

I recently ordered a set of TI diamond pastes (from Classic Shaving) and some dedicated leather pads (from SRD) for my SRD Modular Paddle Strop. I'll let you all know how it works.

The white, TI paste stick on fabric is definitely the way to go. Thanks again for the advice.

...I mucked up a TI paddle (the napp on this strop is very suedy) with the paste.

I thought I messed up my TI paddle as well, but I took a small round glass bottle and filled it with hot water and worked the paste into the rougher suede side and adding paste until it became infused and evenly distributed with the white TI paste. The hot water heats the paste as you work it into the suede and becomes smooth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom