What's new

How 'bout those CHIEFS!!!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If he had said that he didnt hold him,
A- It makes it look like he is not taking one for the team and will lose locker room respect
B- Post game frustration in Philly would have been a lot lot worse ie as in riots basically

He is right in a way , he did hold, problem is the same offense happened in the first quarter and wasnt called

125 plays in that game, no holding calls on 124 of them even though we all know holding goes on on basically every play in the NFL. Seems a very strange time of the game to decide to call the first one of the day

Ryan Fitzpatrick was doing some TV work and said in his years of playing in the NFL, Holds like that never get called in the first quarter. and that he hated the call ( and this coming from an offensive player who you would think would be pro offense in a situation like that)

So there is obviously zero consistency when it comes to calls like this

In all honesty the game had many bad calls that went against Philly, the helmet to helmet hit on Davonta in the first quarter wasnt called, the catch he made was overturned etc
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of which officials call which penalties the most. Maybe one ref has a tendency to call pass interference and holding in the secondary more than another. It would make sense then to keep a handsy DB on the other side of the field as much as possible.

In the end they’re human which is going to cause things like this. Just like baseball where every Umpire defines where the strike zone is differently and some seem to adjust it as the game goes on.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of which officials call which penalties the most. Maybe one ref has a tendency to call pass interference and holding in the secondary more than another. It would make sense then to keep a handsy DB on the other side of the field as much as possible.

In the end they’re human which is going to cause things like this. Just like baseball where every Umpire defines where the strike zone is differently and some seem to adjust it as the game goes on.
I think I read someplace that under Carl Cheffers who was the head ref yesterday the teams had the following record

Philly 6-8
KC 16-7

Not sure what to make of that , I mean KC has historically been a lot better than philly in recent years but its food for thought

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A- It makes it look like he is not taking one for the team and will lose locker room respect
B- Post game frustration in Philly would have been a lot lot worse ie as in riots basically

He is right in a way , he did hold, problem is the same offense happened in the first quarter and wasnt called

125 plays in that game, no holding calls on 124 of them even though we all know holding goes on on basically every play in the NFL. Seems a very strange time of the game to decide to call the first one of the day

Ryan Fitzpatrick was doing some TV work and said in his years of playing in the NFL, Holds like that never get called in the first quarter. and that he hated the call ( and this coming from an offensive player who you would think would be pro offense in a situation like that)
His comment makes many people think that in a veiled way he is saying that the NFL Refs only call those holds when a game is on the line in the 4th quarter

So there is obviously zero consistency when it comes to calls like this

In all honesty the game had many bad calls that went against Philly, the helmet to helmet hit on Davonta in the first quarter wasnt called, the catch he made was overturned etc
That a football play alone would determine whether a city erupts in ‘riots’ is a pretty sad commentary on the town of Philadelphia.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The penalty at the end was like calling a very iffy tripping penalty in game 7 overtime of the NHL Stanley Cup Final. I would have just let them play.

I did have KC to win, so I am happy with the final outcome as I made $$$ but besides that iffy penalty call, it was a fantastic game.

I agree. If that holding play was played over in slow motion replay 100 times, regardless of which side we were rooting for to win, we would all probably say, it wasn’t an aggressive hold? It didn’t turn the receiver off his route or even slow him down in his route? It was more of a very incidental contact hold, then an actual interference hold. However, I believe we wouldn’t even be discussing this bad judgment call of the refs, if the Philly defense wouldn’t have allowed two different touchdown passes to have walked in uncontested. Even if the call wouldn’t have been called, who’s to say, the Chiefs wouldn’t have picked up yards on the next play? Or, wouldn’t have kicked a field goal further back? Or, just of had ran the game clock further down, where Philly would of needed a miracle to go along with their one time out remaining? :)

Philly is a pretty young team. They will be back. :). I’m thankful it was a very competitive and exciting Super Bowl. Thank goodness it wasn’t a long, boring, low scoring, defensive slug fest or a 55-3 blowout. :)

I agree. If that holding play was played over in slow motion replay 100 times, regardless of which side we were rooting for to win, we would all probably say, it wasn’t an aggressive hold? It didn’t turn the receiver off his route or even slow him down in his route? It was more of a very incidental contact hold, then an actual interference hold. However, I believe we wouldn’t even be discussing this bad judgment call of the refs, if the Philly defense wouldn’t have allowed two different touchdown passes to have walked in uncontested. Even if the call wouldn’t have been called, who’s to say, the Chiefs wouldn’t have picked up yards on the next play? Or, wouldn’t have kicked a field goal further back? Or, just of had ran the game clock further down, where Philly would of needed a miracle to go along with their one time out remaining? :)

Philly is a pretty young team. They will be back. :). I’m thankful it was a very competitive and exciting Super Bowl. Thank goodness it wasn’t a long, boring, low scoring, defensive slug fest or a 55-3 blowout. :)
Very interesting that I was just listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio , he said The Patriots knew in the Superbowl a few years ago the opposition were playing in white shirts ( Rams) so he forbid his cornerbacks from playing in dark gloves and instructed them to wear white gloves , so that a glove on jersey hold is much harder to spot for a referee.
Colin says he and many others were surprised that Philly would continue to wear the black gloves yesterday knowing full well that KC would have white Jerseys

Its an interesting point, and going off on a complete tangent, others have mooted that KC should not be allowed to wear yellow gloves at all, because its so very easy to momentarily confuse with a ref yellow flag for a player ( out of the corner of his eye)
KC have taken this gamesmanship to an extreme degree and its not uncommon to see some KC players wearing yellow towels with them. which can easily be confused for a refs towel during play if dislodged. I heard rumors other teams mentioned this to the NFL rules committee in the past but nothing was ever done
Its a small advantage but certainly an advantage to see a flash of yellow out of the corner of your eye during a play that has nothing to do with an officials flag

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
While I was rooting for the Eagles and also thought the call was pretty lame, I don’t know if I agree with the surmation that the Chiefs won on that call.

It was clear to me the eagles was clearly the better team in the first half. But it was also clear to me, that in the 2nd half, the Chiefs made adjustments on the defensive side of the ball.

Mahomes began picking up first downs with his legs which surprised me and the eagles defense because of his injured ankle. But what surprised me more, is the eagles coach had Jalen Hurts running less?

Clearly, the eagles offense and defense sputtered in the 2nd half. The eagles defense allowed two totally uncontested touchdown passes in the 2nd half. The eagles pass rush, became almost non existent in the 2nd half and they allowed twice as many rushing yards in the 2nd half? The outcome was inevitable in the last few minutes of the game that I watched?

Did the lame call put them closer? Yes. But so did the big rushing plays of the Chiefs, just before that call that the eagles defense allowed? So while the call sucked, anyone watching that game could clearly see in the last quarter, the eagles were not consistent on either side of the ball and the Chiefs we’re building momentum with every play.

The Eagles were clearly the better team in the first half they just couldn’t sustain it. If there is something or someone to blame? I think it would be on the eagles offensive coordinator who went too conservative with the play calling and their defensive coordinator who allowed the pass rush to weaken and defensive players to not be in position on two different walk in touchdown passes totally uncontested.
With time to go, one can never say with certainty. However, the call clearly had an impact.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Very interesting that I was just listening to Colin Cowherd on the radio , he said The Patriots knew in the Superbowl a few years ago the opposition were playing in white shirts ( Rams) so he forbid his cornerbacks from playing in dark gloves and instructed them to wear white gloves , so that a glove on jersey hold is much harder to spot for a referee.
Colin says he and many others were surprised that Philly would continue to wear the black gloves yesterday knowing full well that KC would have white Jerseys

Its an interesting point, and going off on a complete tangent, others have mooted that KC should not be allowed to wear yellow gloves at all, because its so very easy to momentarily confuse with a ref yellow flag for a player ( out of the corner of his eye)
KC have taken this gamesmanship to an extreme degree and its not uncommon to see some KC players wearing yellow towels with them. which can easily be confused for a refs towel during play if dislodged. I heard rumors other teams mentioned this to the NFL rules committee in the past but nothing was ever done
Its a small advantage but certainly an advantage to see a flash of yellow out of the corner of your eye during a play that has nothing to do with an officials flag

“If ya ain’t cheatin’ ya ain’t tryin’?”
-New England Patriots

:)

Also - I just looked this up - while there isn’t a baseball world championship, it has been an Olympic sport. The reigning gold medallists for baseball are South Korea (2008) - USA won bronze behind Cuba. Prior to that Cuba won gold every other time (1992, 1996, and 2004), except for USA gold in 2000. 2020 Olympics had baseball as a non-medal event and Japan won, with USA second.

That a football play alone would determine whether a city erupts in ‘riots’ is a pretty sad commentary on the town of Philadelphia.

It's a sadder commentary that Philly continues to be dragged despite the fact that the things it's dragged for happen everywhere, and in many cases far worse than what happens here (and no, I'm not trying to start a debate). No riots in town this weekend, and a few folks even managed to climb the greased light poles. :001_smile

Agreed. But my point still remains. If the two uncontested TD’s would have been contested and not easy walk ins? The call wouldn’t have had an impact at all.

This. Exactly this. Lots of things COULD have happened before that point, where KC was still down a TD or two. It was a great game, and though disappointed by the outcome, I can't fault the play. Mahomes is GREAT, and KC really came to play in the second half in particular. It's nice to see that Andy Reid worked through his boneheadedness in Philly first, and is finally seeing all of his labors rewarded. It has not escaped the notice of anyone in Philly, however, the irony of Andy's clock management at the end being the thing that sank the Eagles.

Top Bottom