What's new

how are you tea drinkiers heating water for green/white/yellow?

All three of these teas like 180 degrees. I am unhappy with standing at the kettle watching a thermometer. Nothing zen in that process. I drink tea to relax and I like as few steps as possible.

how do you guys heat water for 180 degree teas?

No idea what a drinkier is but it won't let me edit.

Nuke it for two minutes, let cool down to 180-175..When I'm camping I only take black tea..Bring to boil then pour over into mug..

I just put the kettle on the stove. I've developed a fairly good sense of how long it takes to heat to above 170F so I just go on about my morning routine until it seems like the water temperature should be getting close. At that point I just stand there with my instant read thermometer and take readings until the temperature is exactly where I want it. At most, I waste two or three minutes standing there.
I'm not a fan of the let it boil and monitor the cool down method.

strop

Now half as wise
We have a 4 liter Zojirushi water boiler that sits on the counter, with water at 195 for black tea, which is what we usually drink. I can reboil in a couple of minutes for French press coffee, though it takes a little longer to cool down for green tea.

Not sure I would pay full price, but we got this on sale a few years ago for 50% off.

Once the water has boiled I let it cook for about 5 to 10 minutes before making a pot of green tea.

One day I will get a new kettle.

I have a Bonavita kettle that lets me set any temp I want up to 210 I believe. The hold temp button is the second best part about the kettle.

those temp controlled kettles are expensive. too bad there isn't one that has a switch. One side black, one side green. The thermometer method is doable for now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Move to Colorado!

(Water boils at a lower temperature at higher elevations due to the lower air pressure.)

Top Bottom