What's new

How are recent synthetic brushes?

For me, they are great. I have a Simpsons Trafalgar T3 and an Omega 1.0 and they are so good, I've PIFed my other brushes (Omega Boars and an Omega Silvertip) to my kids. These are my only brushes going forward, and I'm quite happy with that.

Leave him a note at the bottom of the order page; there's a section for that. You can also chat or email him directly through the website. Andrew is good at responding.

The Simpson had a bit of a learning curve in that it’s the only synthetic I’ve encountered that has a break in period.
I’ve noticed that Simpson synthetic brushes do need a bit of a break in period. But then again I don’t have many synthetic brushes so I don’t have much of a point of reference

I was primarily a badger and boar user for many years. I've owned $200-300 brushes in 2-band super silvertip from the big names, but back in 2016 I got my first synthetic. I have used that brush more than any other brush I've ever owned.

Recently I saw that Vie Long was going out of business and their brushes were on clearance so I picked up a VL synthetic and really like that one too. I probably won't load up on brushes like I used to but if I buy another brush going forward it will likely be a synthetic.

What I like about synthetics is that they dry fast and I don't have to worry about babying them. Although there are some high-end, expensive synthetic brushes on the market you can pick up a good synthetic for a fraction of what it costs to buy a badger of similar quality.

Things have come a LONG way from the synthetic brushes I tried way back in 2009 or whatever. Those brushes just weren't up to scratch, but these newer synthetic types are.

I think they are excellent. Here are the three that I own. The Plisson is one that they made for L'Occitane and is no longer made. Pity, as it is outstanding. Of the two Muhles, the Black Fiber is really good. The Silver Tip Fiber is wonderful!
Brush-Plisson.jpg

Muhle 21H 220 Rytmo-Black Fiber
Brush-Muhle21H220Rytmo.jpg

31K 256 Silver Tip Fiber
Brush.Muhle.31K256.jpg

got yaqi arctic sky and Simpsons T3. yaqi is softer but Simpsons isn't bad either. when I have some free money I might get mulhe after holidays.

I've got 3 brushes. One is a Simpson 19mm pure badger. It was a Christmas gift. I bought a Maggard Tuxedo 24 mm) as a travel brush since they dry quickly, and it's very budget friendly. It became my daily shaver because it was much better.
Back in may, I splurged and got MÜHLE Classic Black Large Silvertip Fiber Shaving Brush. It was enough of an improvement over the Tuxedo to put it back in it's original role, travel.
The Simpson would have dish soap bubbles in the lather
The Tuxedo generates good lather and soft peaks
The Muhle generates good lather, and stiff peaks.

I got a Dscosmetic G7 knot from Aliexpress for 10 euros and it's absolutely fantastic. I ordered also a A2S fibre brush which they advertise as super soft for face lathering. Can't wait to try it. I have a T2 Simpson's and it performs great as well. Trust me, I was a hardcore boar guy, but these synths make it really hard for me to justify ever using a boar again.

Is there a currently available synth brush that is as soft as the L'Occitane made by Plisson? I love this one for face lathering but the handle is run down so much by now (I tend to throw them on the floor when in fact I want to shake out water after cleaning) that I'm in the market for a new synth with very soft fibres. I own an unholy amount of synth brushes now and none is as soft. Not even a regular Plisson synth. That's so disappointing.

I read the post before mine about the A2S and wonder if this is it? Or maybe one of the PAA brushes? I like the look of them very much, especially the Solar Flare one.

Is there a currently available synth brush that is as soft as the L'Occitane made by Plisson? I love this one for face lathering but the handle is run down so much by now (I tend to throw them on the floor when in fact I want to shake out water after cleaning) that I'm in the market for a new synth with very soft fibres. I own an unholy amount of synth brushes now and none is as soft. Not even a regular Plisson synth. That's so disappointing.

I read the post before mine about the A2S and wonder if this is it? Or maybe one of the PAA brushes? I like the look of them very much, especially the Solar Flare one.
If you are looking for a brush with the entire fibers being very soft, as @Omega48 mentioned you would want a Mother Lode knot and I don't think diameter would matter at all as it is a very sofy floppy knot as most have described in the past. My next suggestion would be a brush with a TurnNShave Angelhair knot in it set with a high loft or lastly, ultimately what you may need to look into is a Wald A1 knotted brush. I have the 27mm Calyx which I've found to be almost too soft and much softer than my Angelhair knot. They also sell the A1 in 29mm and 18mm variations too. If its worth mentioning I too am a full time face latherer is why I make these recommendations...

... as @Omega48 mentioned you would want a Mother Lode knot and I don't think diameter would matter at all as it is a very sofy floppy knot ...
The reason why I recommended the 30mm knot is because I have a 26mm and a 30mm. The 26mm is as floppy as reported by other members. The 30mm is super soft and gentle but it is not floppy at all.

I mainly use two synthetic brushes, the Muehle STF XL 25mm and the Omega Evo 2.0. I take pleasure in using them, no matter which one.
Muehle STF when I use milder soaps and monage in a bowl.
Omega Evo 2.0 for working with hard soaps and direct foaming of the face.

In my opinion, these are the best two knots at the moment.

I would recommend trying the amazing Boti Mother Lode. Possibly in 30mm. On Amazon or AE.
The Mother Lode is indeed amazing. Cloudlike softness, dense without hogging lather, splay without effort, and they hold water well. However, the last Mother Lode I got from Boti was a shedder. It is the only synthetic I've owned out of probably two dozen that dropped hairs on regular basis. I recently bought Mother Lode replacements from Oumo via AliExpress and they are non-shedders. And they cost less than $10 shipped.

Top Bottom