What's new

How are recent synthetic brushes?

I've been away from scene since 2018ish. I love synthetics. I own 16 of them in fact. bunch of razor rock, bunch of maggards, few Stirling ones, satin tip purist and wolf whiskers. wolf whiskers being the most softest one and my favorite. around time I stopped buying brushes it had kinda stagnated. all the ones coming out were about same as razor rock plissoft just different handles and brands. maybe different color similar to ww, but not as good. Are there better ones I should pick up? have any gotten to be as good as what wolf whiskers uses, or should I just stick with what I have?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If you have a brush you like I suggest you enjoy it and buy a new soap. There have been advancements and they run from around $70 to $250. How much do you want/need a better synthetic?

$250 dang I thought $85 wolf whiskers was a lot. what makes it so expensive? are there any new amazing soaps?

I have been buying synthetics for 6 years. I recently purchased a 4th Generation Vie Long Barbero brush, and IMHO blows away my other 20 synthetics from nearly every manufacturer. Since Vie Long is closing shop, the lone US vendor is closing them out at a steal. I purchased an extra 2, so I will always have this brush.

After I saw your post I went and bought one. Price is right. Does anybody know what they use for fibers? In house or same as “xxx”?
I have been buying synthetics for 6 years. I recently purchased a 4th Generation Vie Long Barbero brush, and IMHO blows away my other 20 synthetics from nearly every manufacturer. Since Vie Long is closing shop, the lone US vendor is closing them out at a steal. I purchased an extra 2, so I will always have this brush.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
$250 dang I thought $85 wolf whiskers was a lot. what makes it so expensive? are there any new amazing soaps?
Canada Shaving Soap is a new one that has a lot of happy users. It's $55.49 shipped, so it ain't cheap. But it has good longevity. It's only 175g, so I'm not sure yet how it compares to MdC for actual price in use - but I suspect it will be close.

I'm doing a longevity test, so it's my only soap at home this year.

I will probably travel down the Wald road at some point but have traveled down the STF road and have to say I wasn't impressed by it!! I think it is more that I'm not impressed with the handle but I'm not sure the knot would open up to what I'm used to with my TNS synthetics. I've not had many problems making a very usable lather but the knot just seems to have too much backbone for me and don't see it loosening up much at all if any. To sum it up is to say it's no where near what most seem to label it as I reach for my Quartermoon, Angel Hair, and Timberwolf much more often!!

This morning I shaved with my Rudy Vey STF. Awesome brush!!

IMG_5507.jpg

I understand synthetics have come a long way in even just the past ten years, and they seem to have a strong and respected, and indeed competitive presence as far as shaving brushes are concerned.

My experience was with my dad's synthetic Everready from the sixties which i remember being, well, robust, but certainly not uncomfortable to use . He used it well into the 2000s. After dad died I retrieved that brush after and i must say that a wire brush gas nothing on that old Everready! It had lost quite abit of its loft had abraided off from 40+ years of near daily use. I more recently tracked down a NOS of that same brush and didn't find it much better. Those old bristles sure don't age well.

Since i first bought my own kit i used badger and boar.- the former for when i shave after a shower and the beard is softened and the latter for stand aline shave (for the most part). I went synthetic a few years ago and have quite enjoyed the $10 Chess Brush from TurnNShave at Etsy. Its better than any other brush I've known. I just don't understand the need to sink so much money into brushes. But to each his own. I can only suggest you get the Chess Brush and send me a check for the difference you were going to pay.

Top Bottom