What's new

High end audio

ouch said:
For those with enough room to house a pair of Magnepans, the high end doesn't even have to be all that expensive.

I was going to mention how jealous I was when I read "Magnepan" earlier. :drool:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
I just take all my audio advice from Corey. :a38: :lol:

If that's true, I'm surprised you have any money left over for shaving. I'll also have to speak louder, because your hearing's probably not too good!
:lol:

At "home":
Bryston 4BST amplifier
Chiro C-800 Pre/Pro or Bryston BP5 Pre
Magnepan 1.6QR
Sony ??? Carousel CD Player

All sitting in storage because I got married, moved into my wife's house, and there isn't room for my system :frown:

At work:
Sennheiser HD580
Headamp
Portable Sony Cd player CDP-25???
1G iPod

Seeing as how there are only two things I do almost Everyday (workout and shave) I'm willing to invest in things that make them more pleasurable. I got a pair of the Shure E4c headphones (retail $299 but you can get them for almost half that on ebay). While I'm not an audiophile, I do notice the difference between them and your standard earbuds, but the left ear phone has shorted out twice now in 6 months, and while it's covered under warantee, it's getting tiresome sending them back.

ouch

murchmb said:
At "home":
Bryston 4BST amplifier
Chiro C-800 Pre/Pro or Bryston BP5 Pre
Magnepan 1.6QR
Sony ??? Carousel CD Player

All sitting in storage because I got married, moved into my wife's house, and there isn't room for my system :frown:

Somebody did their homework. For years, Magnepan has recommended that dealers display their speakers driven by Bryston amps. There may be better combos, but that's a great match.
Your 1.6QR's are probably the single greatest value in all of audio. :thumbup1:

Turntable: Thorens TD 321 with Sumiko Premier MMT Tonearm and Benz Micro Silver Cartridge

CD: Marantz cd63 SE (needs repair -- went haywire last week!) with Musical Fidelity X10D Tube buffer

Tape Deck: Marantz (can't remember the model -- hardly ever use it nowadays)

Preamp: McIntosh C712

Power Amp: McIntosh MC7104

Speakers: B&W DM501; Tannoy Satellite/Subwoofer combo (can't remember the model)

All of this was purchased back when I was single with tons of disposable income... And, yes, I am a stereo dinosaur -- the only way I can listen to music on CD is through tubes, and I will never go MP3 or surround sound! I might spring for an SACD player now that the CD has kicked the bucket...

jduffy said:
How big a difference is there for the CD player with and without the tube buffer?

Just curious.

I find that the tube buffer gives it a warmer sound -- closer to analogue, but without the scratches:biggrin1:

I guess it's safe to assume that my Cerwin Vegas, Pioneer Amp & CD player, and Monster Cables don't belong in this thread!
:lol:

zachster said:
Turntable: Thorens TD 321 with Sumiko Premier MMT Tonearm and Benz Micro Silver Cartridge

CD: Marantz cd63 SE (needs repair -- went haywire last week!) with Musical Fidelity X10D Tube buffer

Tape Deck: Marantz (can't remember the model -- hardly ever use it nowadays)

Preamp: McIntosh C712

Power Amp: McIntosh MC7104

Speakers: B&W DM501; Tannoy Satellite/Subwoofer combo (can't remember the model)

All of this was purchased back when I was single with tons of disposable income... And, yes, I am a stereo dinosaur -- the only way I can listen to music on CD is through tubes, and I will never go MP3 or surround sound! I might spring for an SACD player now that the CD has kicked the bucket...

I like this one the best so far :thumbup1:

Nenad

Here is my modest system, I have toned down my audio habits.

Turntable: Systemdek llx w/linn basik plus arm W/Project phono amp
CD: Onix XCD-99 pretty much a moded Music Hall player
Amp: Tube integrated-65w Separo ( Pacific Creek ) P-901 Valve
Speakers:Epos m 12.2 w/ lead filled Atacama stands
Cables ZU Julian etc.
Sub: Aperion Audio 10" powered

I really love the sound of tubes:thumbup:
Cheers, DJ.

ouch said:
Somebody did their homework. For years, Magnepan has recommended that dealers display their speakers driven by Bryston amps. There may be better combos, but that's a great match.

I have an old pair of 2.7's that the Herron's will not drive. I sold a pair of 3.6's that the Herron's would not drive either. But, a Music Reference RM-200 will drive either one of them pretty well.

My next acquisition will be a pair of 20.1's for the listening room at work.

Sam

SamKennard said:
I have an old pair of 2.7's that the Herron's will not drive. I sold a pair of 3.6's that the Herron's would not drive either. But, a Music Reference RM-200 will drive either one of them pretty well.

Sam
Hmmm.. that reminds me.. I have a old pair of Maggies, a little adcom amp and CD player,Superphon Pre, all just sitting unused in my basement. I think it's time to start tinkering again.
Cheers, DJ.

ouch said:

Yep. It was kind of a no brainer. I got the Maggies new, and the Bryston stuff a couple of years used. Gotta love a company that backs up their products with a 20 year transferrable warranty.

I had them set up in my old living room "properly" and they sounded incredible. They were also killer in a home theater setting. No real center channel needed. I'm now debating whether to sell them, or hold on to them and see if I can have a fitting room for them when we add onto our house.

I talked to one of the top guys at Magnepan and he highly recommended Bryston and Krell, but preferred Atmasphere tube amps himself. The Bryston stuff was just too tempting when it came to the economics of it, so I went that route. I'd still love to get into the tube stuff, but that will have to wait until money and time are more plentiful. Probably in 20 years or so when the baby has left the nest.

SamKennard said:

Sam

Sam, I grew up in St. Louis and still consider it "home", even thought I've been gone since '89. I envy someone with the money and room for a pair of 20.1's Those are some incredible speakers. Is Flip's Stereo still around? They were the STL Maggie dealer last I saw, but it's been several years since I have shopped that kind of stuff.

ouch

Most people don't have the room for really big speakers. I've had Tympani IV's, 20.1's (not the new 20.1I's, though), and giant Apoggees, which were over seven feet tall and three feet wide. The latter currently reside, rather cramped, in my friends house.

Currently, I have the Maggie 1.6QR's, and couldn't be happier. While they're not as big as their big brothers, they still require an enormous amount of space to function properly, and they fill my 30X20X18 room more than adequately. They also need a lot of juice-- no 3W SET's need apply-- so I would recommend solid state amps. Save the tubes for the preamp.
No, the 1.6QR's don't share the lovely true ribbon tweeter of the 3 and 20 series, nor do they dip quite as low as those jumbo panels. But with the help of a REL Stadium III sub (the only sub I've ever been able to properly mate with them), the overall sound is nothing short of breathtaking.

As an aside, of all the audiophile recordings I've ever heard (Reference Recordings, Telarc, etc), far and away the best recording I've encountered for demonstrating an audio system is Roger Water's Amused to Death.

Goosemeplease said:
Great post Ouch-

I built 2 Hafler bridged mosfet single Chanel amps and a Hafler pre amp almost 20 years ago-

Still using the rig today- still sounds great I cannot even remember the names of the drivers I put in my boxes I think I have a folder with all the stuff in it- I scored some very high performance cable at work for my patch and speaker cables back then also.

I've heard some great things about Haffler equipment. How does it stand up to some of today's high end gizmos?

Top Bottom