What's new

Henson Razor Club.

I would say no, it does not really have a cooling effect, not the one that may be anticipated by the name of the soap. In fact if you read the description on their web site, the name is only related to the lichens they use for extracting some of the ingredients, and the microclimate were they grow, in the Alps.
I classify it as a classic barbershop style soap, due to the (excellent) scent, nothing else.

Try Dinamene by Saponificio Annamaria, which to me is also better performing soap:

That is fantastic information! Thank you for letting me know.

Just ordered an AL13 aggressive after using my Yates Winning v2 tonight and realizing that the Winning razor just isn’t for me. I’ve been really curious about the aggressive version and figured why not get it and see how it is. Now I will have the trifecta. Who knows…maybe I’ll have all three in titanium one day. All I know is that the Henson razors are definitely the razors for me.

Gillette Silver Blue today.

IMG_1513.jpeg

Just ordered an AL13 aggressive after using my Yates Winning v2 tonight and realizing that the Winning razor just isn’t for me. I’ve been really curious about the aggressive version and figured why not get it and see how it is. Now I will have the trifecta. Who knows…maybe I’ll have all three in titanium one day. All I know is that the Henson razors are definitely the razors for me.

Great minds....my wallet has done a runner and hid somewhere and does not want to be opened.
I will hunt him down make no mistake !
Being the bargain loving cheapskate i am - waiting for discount deals from USA sellers...then i pounce.
I am tempted to buy the medium as well.

Last edited:
These are all the blades that I am testing or re-testing with the Mild, used for ATG only. I want to see how they compare to the Astra SP. Next two shaves are going to be with the Wizamet.

View attachment 1825562
I dont usually go ATG, but I’ve used most of those blades in the mild. I prefer blades on the sharper side in it, especially the Feather. After those my next choice would be the perma-sharps out of the options shown. I find all of the Personnas to work nicely as well as all the 7 O’clock models. Wizamets work great too. Silver Blues, The Dorco st-300’s and RK blades worked better in the henson aggressive for me, but they are fine in the mild. I prefer the Astra SS over SP in the mild, but the SP are fine. The Bic CP’s are my least favorite of these, but I love the Bic Astor. If you have never tried Dorco Primes I’d recommend trying those in the mild while doing this testing. I find them much better performers than the ST-300’s.

It will be interesting to see your thoughts as you go!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Henson AL13+++
Blade: New Lord Platinum (1)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave
060_01_19 conv.jpeg

Today was my first shave with a Henson AL13+++.

Pros: The Hesnson AL13+++ clamps the blade very rigidly. The razor is lightweight. It has plenty of gap and good exposure. It's easy to use.

Cons: The head covers the blade tabs:a32:. The handle is longer than my taste. Neither of these issues is a game-changer given the shave. Peeling the blade off the baseplate is a pain in the backside. :ciappa:

The shave:

I used my favorite blade for the first outing. The New Lord Platinum didn't disappoint. I'd forgotten how good Gillette Pure Shaving Cream is. It's tops in performance and inexpensive as well. I enjoyed my Simpson Trafalgar T3. I've been waiting to use the T3 since shaving with my Trafalgar T1 on vacation. The T1 punches above its weight class, and the T3 is the full Monty.

I did a three-pass shave. I'm not going to lie, the razor felt like a cartridge. By that I mean it was smooth, hard to nick yourself, and could give you razor burn. I'm glad I didn't buy the mild or medium. The results were almost as close as my Blackbird Ti-Lite without the occasional irritation. That is a solid win for the first use. It was a no-thrills enjoyable shave. You can put your mind on autopilot, and probably get consistently great results. I did on my first shave. There is no doubt in my mind, that it is a well-engineered and machined double-edged razor.

Cheers
Rave

Al13 +++ today.
IMG_8347.jpeg

SOTD:
Razor: Henson AL13+++
Blade: New Lord Platinum (1)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Cream: Gillette Pure
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave
View attachment 1825816
Today was my first shave with a Henson AL13+++.

Pros: The Hesnson AL13+++ clamps the blade very rigidly. The razor is lightweight. It has plenty of gap and good exposure. It's easy to use.

Cons: The head covers the blade tabs:a32:. The handle is longer than my taste. Neither of these issues is a game-changer given the shave. Peeling the blade off the baseplate is a pain in the backside. :ciappa:

The shave:

I used my favorite blade for the first outing. The New Lord Platinum didn't disappoint. I'd forgotten how good Gillette Pure Shaving Cream is. It's tops in performance and inexpensive as well. I enjoyed my Simpson Trafalgar T3. I've been waiting to use the T3 since shaving with my Trafalgar T1 on vacation. The T1 punches above its weight class, and the T3 is the full Monty.

I did a three-pass shave. I'm not going to lie, the razor felt like a cartridge. By that I mean it was smooth, hard to nick yourself, and could give you razor burn. I'm glad I didn't buy the mild or medium. The results were almost as close as my Blackbird Ti-Lite without the occasional irritation. That is a solid win for the first use. It was a no-thrills enjoyable shave. You can put your mind on autopilot, and probably get consistently great results. I did on my first shave. There is no doubt in my mind, that it is a well-engineered and machined double-edged razor.

Cheers
Rave
+1. I have the mild and aggressive and enjoy them both, but I think I prefer the +++. For me the “aggressive” is only aggressive when compared to the other Henson models. It’s a bit more forgiving of angle and more efficient with a light touch. As a result I‘m actually more likely to get irritation with the mild if trying for a close shave. Having both is nice, but if I were to keep only one it would be the aggressive.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Al13 +++ today. View attachment 1825847

+1. I have the mild and aggressive and enjoy them both, but I think I prefer the +++. For me the “aggressive” is only aggressive when compared to the other Henson models. It’s a bit more forgiving of angle and more efficient with a light touch. As a result I‘m actually more likely to get irritation with the mild if trying for a close shave. Having both is nice, but if I were to keep only one it would be the aggressive.
Trevor, This has me considering which to get in titanium if I buy one. The +++ is perfect in aluminum. Titanium will have a more aggressive feel due to its weight. Would a Ti ++ be a closer match? I don't think I want more aggression. At least I have time to decide. That would be in August.

Trevor, This has me considering which to get in titanium if I buy one. The +++ is perfect in aluminum. Titanium will have a more aggressive feel due to its weight. Would a Ti ++ be a closer match? I don't think I want more aggression. At least I have time to decide. That would be in August.
I love the Ti +++ . Feels great in the hand and delivers a fantastic shave.
It’s the only modern design razor I own.
All the Hensons are great in my experience but the +++ can give me a super close shave in 2 easy passes. If I wasn’t so into vintage razors it would be my only choice no question. Less passes and touch ups generally means less irritation …YMMV and all that .

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I love the Ti +++ . Feels great in the hand and delivers a fantastic shave.
It’s the only modern design razor I own.
All the Hensons are great in my experience but the +++ can give me a super close shave in 2 easy passes. If I wasn’t so into vintage razors it would be my only choice no question. Less passes and touch ups generally means less irritation …YMMV and all that .
Thank you. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom