What's new

Help cleaning a natural bristle toothbrush

I've got a natural bristle toothbrush that I picked up from my local health food store a month or so back. Recently some kind of dark brown buildup has been accumulating at the base of the bristles. Anybody have any idea what this is? Water deposits of some kind? Maybe something like mold? Any idea how I can get rid of it?

I figure I'll try soaking it in vinegar and water to see if that helps, and if not then I'll perhaps move to bleach and water, but I'd like to see if anybody here can help first. Thanks.

My guess would be mildew.

Any method we use to clean shaving brushes should work, but I'd go right for bleach and water to make sure the little buggers die.

I would recommend soaking it in an antiseptic mouthwash, that should take care of whatever little buggers are collecting down at the base of the bristles.

Better yet, go buy a new toothbrush and use the mouthwash treatment on it on a regular basis, maybe once a week or so.

Make sure you take care of that toothbrush just like you would a shaving brush, i.e. rinse it out well after each use and give it a few good flicks to shake off excess water.

My Trumpers natural bristle bone handle toothbrush went 9 months before I needed to replace it. I do soak mine in Listerine now and then.

Top Bottom