What's new

Hello from Foxtrot

Hi There

Though I've been a wet shaver for most of my shaving life, most of my whisker-logging was done with a Gillette Sensor Excel (twin-blade cartridge) over canned foam. I eventually discovered Burma-Shave soap cakes and a boar bristle brush a decade ago but it wasn't until early 2013 that I got serious.

- I've read a lot of the posts here and watched a dozen of mantic's informative videos. Also, various blogs by skin care chemists, etc.

- I use an Edwin Jagger double-edged razor and a variety of blades, mostly Red Personna
- I have an entry level badger hair brush by Vulfix

- I haven't seen many posts on this, but there is nothing like shaving under a skylight or outside. Changes everything. Not everyone has access to a skylight, of course, but in my opinion a fluorescent light is almost as bad as a poor choice of shaving soap.

Speaking of soaps, I think the mixed results I've been getting have more to do with soap/cream than any other variable. Certainly, part of the problem is newbie mistakes, but here's what I've noticed:

When I use a shaving cream or something that doesn't really need a brush at all, like Kiss My Face (Key Lime), I do fine. Even a 2nd and third pass (with and against the grain) go well, with no nicks whatsoever.

When I use shaving soap, my face gets dry quickly and I am more apt to get nicks and cuts.
Since I only had basic soap like Williams and Burma-Shave, I thought the problem might be due to using inferior products, so I went hog wild last week and bought Tabac, Mitchell's Wool Fat and Taylor of Old Bond Street (Grapefruit) all in one go per all the praise I've seen online.

Of those, I've only had a chance to try the Tabac. Smells heavenly, but again my normally oily face is dry after a shave, even before I have time to apply balm. I take a hot washcloth and carefully remove all the white soap, and then apply Burt's Bees Bay Rum aftershave balm (yes, it's discontinued but I still have a bottle and until recently was blissfully unaware of its demise).

My conclusion: I don't know how to lather. Maybe I should look into pre-shave oils, but I really don't think I lather well. Not as well as Mantic, anyway.

I don't have any specific questions today but thanks for reading. I'd love to know your thoughts.

foxtrot

P.S. I'm actually a terrible dancer

Hi foxtrot, welcome to Badger and Blade!

Great first post!! Congratulations on your decision to see what traditional wet-shaving is all about. It's a decision you will never regret! :thumbup:

I have a suggestion that might help with your lather woes: try making a practice lather or two, and when you do, keep adding more water, a little at a time, until your lather "breaks" and is runny. My guess is that you're just not incorporating enough water into your lather, and so it's dry--and drying out your face.

Mantic59 has a great video of this process, here it is:

When you get a chance, please head over to our Hall of Fame (located within the Shave Clinic) and tell us all a bit more about yourself. There are links in my signature to areas of B&B of special interest to beginning shavers--perhaps you might like to have a look at them as well. If you ever have questions or run into problems, don't hesitate to post them up. We're a welcoming and friendly group here, and there's always someone around to offer advice or lend a hand.

Enjoy your time here, happy shaving, and once again, WELCOME!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My lather totally sucked for the first week or so. It wasn't until I went through the slow process of seeing how the lather "worked" step by step, adding water slowly and making it fully incorporated (like the video above -- grab a beer, it takes a while) that I started getting half-decent lather. At least for me, I stop at the beginning of the "sweet spot" for my soap -- it seems to pick up a little more water from my face as I apply it.

I still don't get that whipped-cream-covered-face look when I lather, but definitely am doing a lot better.

I also don't have any qualms about being a "slow" shaver and lathering my face, shaving it, then lathering my neck.

Many thanks for the replies and tips. I'll definitely try adding water as I go.

Since I aim for gradual error reduction rather than everything smooth in the first post, ;-)
Taylor of Old Bond Street
Taylor's, of course

Kiss My Face
I mean Kiss My Face Moisture Shave cream

I have seen that particular mantic video, Wingnut, but it looks like I need further study (and alum!) He's the master.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum!
i would hight suggest getting a very good, natural and moisturizing soap such as Mike's Natural or Mystic Water to help with the drying. You may also need more water in your lather as it may be drying out. Good luck.

Welcome, mate! I like the advice John (Wingnut) gave you. Most of all, just practice making lather at varying consistencies so you can figure out what works and doesn't.

Top Bottom