What's new

¢heap + ¢heap = Best $have of the Week

A couple of weeks ago I got delivery of a $7 open comb/open top razor head. I was looking for a more aggressive shave & this looked like evil incarnate, & gots to be aggressive - in use it was mild to the point that a smooth & close shave was impossible. When I ordered what became to be known as the '38 De Soto Grill razor head, I also ordered an $8 'Art of Shaving' razor, just for the handle - Both shipped from Taiwan & China & arrived about a week apart. The new razor arrived 2 days ago & was also pretty mild. Just for chuckles, I tried swapping components and found that they fit nicely.

So now the '38 De Soto has a closed bar instead of open comb, and the Art is a short, open comb razor.
The first trial was this morning with well-used Shark Platinum in one, and Shark Chrome in the other. The transformation was stunning - BOTH gave the best shave of the week in a right / Left shave off. Both blades had already been in use all week, so I was surprised at the BBT smooth shave this morning.

Soap was one of Shannons Soaps creations and was plenty slick & cushion-y. I'm sure this soap made the nick free & irritation-free shave possible today!

I did wreck the ¢heap theme by putting on a spendy ($16) handle sent to me by the Postage Pirates at West Coast Shaving.

So, now I have 2 custom razors with hefty handles that need only the lightest touch for a superb shave.

De Soto & Art 1.jpg

De Soto & Art 2.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't like the Williams soap at first. But as I have gotten better at DE shaving the soap works well. I think I got 3 pucks for $3 or so.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago I got delivery of a $7 open comb/open top razor head. I was looking for a more aggressive shave & this looked like evil incarnate, & gots to be aggressive - in use it was mild to the point that a smooth & close shave was impossible. When I ordered what became to be known as the '38 De Soto Grill razor head, I also ordered an $8 'Art of Shaving' razor, just for the handle - Both shipped from Taiwan & China & arrived about a week apart. The new razor arrived 2 days ago & was also pretty mild. Just for chuckles, I tried swapping components and found that they fit nicely.

So now the '38 De Soto has a closed bar instead of open comb, and the Art is a short, open comb razor.
The first trial was this morning with well-used Shark Platinum in one, and Shark Chrome in the other. The transformation was stunning - BOTH gave the best shave of the week in a right / Left shave off. Both blades had already been in use all week, so I was surprised at the BBT smooth shave this morning.

Soap was one of Shannons Soaps creations and was plenty slick & cushion-y. I'm sure this soap made the nick free & irritation-free shave possible today!

I did wreck the ¢heap theme by putting on a spendy ($16) handle sent to me by the Postage Pirates at West Coast Shaving.

So, now I have 2 custom razors with hefty handles that need only the lightest touch for a superb shave.

View attachment 1020846
View attachment 1020847

The Frankenrazors live! ;)

It's amazing how good some of the cheap stuff can do with a little 'experementation'. :)

Very nice! Congrats on getting great shaves, it's fun to experiment. And it's great when the experiment works!

An eight dollar "Art of Shaving" razor?

What in Sam Hill are you going on about? You have to have that just to pay for parking in the lot nearest wherever the "AoS" store is located. They charge $20 for a $5 block of alum.

An eight dollar "Art of Shaving" razor?

What in Sam Hill are you going on about? You have to have that just to pay for parking in the lot nearest wherever the "AoS" store is located. They charge $20 for a $5 block of alum.
My you're touchy. That's what was on the box ... straight from China. Obviously a knockoff. You can relax now.

Top Bottom