What's new

Gold Dollar W59

It was offered to a guy who does bulk buys from GD and who I got my W59s from.
It was wholesale only and Ningbo told him they were only making 60 - for sure they’ve probably made a lot more than that though.
Don’t know if they will filter down to Amazon and ZY Store.

Although from what @Billy__k has just posted the ZY ones could be suspect?
Could just be mine, I've had good and bad gold dollars before.

Or maybe my technique. But I don't have any trouble with any razors with a decent grind.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W 59 has a large smile and it isn't a beginner razor for honing I have 2 and have honed several more. It's not a big deal. You need to.lift the heel to get the toe and vice versa like anything else shaped like it . Several people.i know just taped them and had no issues. I've heard people using up to 3 layers. Personally I hate tape and I tape none of my personal razors. Lol.

OH man, good for you bad for me.
Plan "B", what time do you go to work and where do you keep your spare house key?

Marcus before you give out any information to John I'd like you to consider this quote from Eurythmics:

My mother told me good, my mother told me strong
She said, "Be true to yourself and you can't go wrong
But there's just one thing that you must understand
You can fool with your brother
But don't mess with a missionary man
Don't mess with a missionary man

Oh, the missionary man, he's got God on his side
He's got the saints and apostles backin' up from behind
Black eyed looks from those Bible books
He's a man with a mission, got a serious mind

W 59 has a large smile and it isn't a beginner razor for honing I have 2 and have honed several more. It's not a big deal. You need to.lift the heel to get the toe and vice versa like anything else shaped like it . Several people.i know just taped them and had no issues. I've heard people using up to 3 layers. Personally I hate tape and I tape none of my personal razors. Lol.
I have several razors with larger smiles than this and normally do a rolling x stroke with no problems.

The first 10-15mm of the heel just doesnt want to play ball.

I even tried it on my convex coticule that I use for really problematic razors and it was still taking far too much effort to consistently hit the edge of the heel every stroke.

I too hate using tape and I only use it as an absolute last resort.

Whenever I have razor that has part of bevel that does not want to be hit I will go to 1k and focus on that area until the bevel becomes a tad bigger. Then I reset the bevel and everything works out. I have only done this on smiling wedges (had to do it on 2 of them). Not sure if I would recommend doing this though

Marcus before you give out any information to John I'd like you to consider this quote from Eurythmics:

Ha ha you’ve got me worried now Arne :)
I’d also forgotten how good the Eurhythmics were...

...The GD Shave Club 2017 Blades are certainly some kind of limited edition but I dream of a world where we can all have them - as long as I can still have them first lol

Seriously though my guy just told me that less than 80 of these were made and some of those were lost in China Post.
So watch this space!

Last edited:
So I just touched up the factory edge on 0.25u diamond followed by 0.1u CBN.
A really nice shave although the very small tail meant I had to modify my usual grip.
And the Barbers Notch is superb for fine work under the nostrils - which is presumably why barbers liked them so much.
Anyway I’m very happy with this razor:
13FD306C-B860-4C3A-922A-A7D95C21BC10.jpeg

giphy (32).gif

Ha ha you’ve got me worried now Arne :)
I’d also forgotten how good the Eurhythmics were...

...The GD Shave Club 2017 Blades are certainly some kind of limited edition but I dream of a world where we can all have them - as long as I can still have them first lol

Seriously though my guy just told me that less than 80 of these were made and some of those were lost in China Post.
So watch this space!

I hope they make this a regular thing. A modern day Wade & Butcher clone!:thumbup:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Fendrihan
And it’s my favourite so far too!

Getting closer to what I have been making all along. Except there is still a shoulder.

Looking at the Fendrihan site, I also see a W56, W58, W62, and P80. Are those other GDs of about the same bevel angle as the W59 and W60? I really cannot stand the sight of the W59, and the W60 looks like a poor imitation of my own GD mods, made by someone too lazy to go ahead and grind off the rest of the shoulder and fair the blade into the shank. I wouldn't mind trying one of the others, if I had a little more information.

Honestly these are all functioning razors. Actually they are all functioning. Lol. You don't need one. And being you mod your own, you would probably not like them. We pretty much choose things for reasons other than shavers. Rarity, a connection to a steel mill somewhere, looks and bragging rights to expensive stuff and many others. These are all valid reasons. But I doubt anyone is really expecting to find that magical shaver that will restore balance to anyone's shave den. Lol. If you are there's a 99.9 percent chance you may already have it. The appeal to the new models is the looks. They don't shave any better or worse than any other. The long tail may add to the functional part for some. It doesn't for me though. I grabbed a few only for novelty. My 66s shave as well as they're honed. Just like these do.

Honestly these are all functioning razors. Actually they are all functioning. Lol. You don't need one. And being you mod your own, you would probably not like them. We pretty much choose things for reasons other than shavers. Rarity, a connection to a steel mill somewhere, looks and bragging rights to expensive stuff and many others. These are all valid reasons. But I doubt anyone is really expecting to find that magical shaver that will restore balance to anyone's shave den. Lol. If you are there's a 99.9 percent chance you may already have it. The appeal to the new models is the looks. They don't shave any better or worse than any other. The long tail may add to the functional part for some. It doesn't for me though. I grabbed a few only for novelty. My 66s shave as well as they're honed. Just like these do.

We all need a silver lining, real or not, to make our lives a little more glorious. Besides there are razors that fit some people better than other razors. I wouldn't want to be without a CVH MK no.32, it's my holy grail razor. Even so I fully embrace the different properties of different straight razor models. It's a luxury and a spice of life. I guess that it's rather obvious to most straight razor shavers. I like the new W59, it shaves good, but I wouldn't compare it to a Workout. Spice of life.

I agree that people should buy and use whatever they like. I dont find there to be a measurable difference between different brands. But thats me. I am of the belief that the honing is far more important than the steel Some blades fit better in your hand I agree. The w 59 is a razor. just like a 66 is. Both equally capable of taking whiskers off if honed correctly.

Somy w59 finally arrived yesterday, nearly a month after ordering it. It is a very solid piece of steel, appears to be fairly close to shave ready (I’m still learning), but the QC is lost in the minor details.

image.jpg

The spine is pretty straight but the rounding on the edge of the spine is all over the place. Same for the hollow and the grinds that form it, straight but uneven.

image.jpg
image.jpg

In all it would probably be quite a bit of work to make it look correct symmetrical. I’m sure I’ll try one day. For now I’ll just try to keep it sharp. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the photos.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Somy w59 finally arrived yesterday, nearly a month after ordering it. It is a very solid piece of steel, appears to be fairly close to shave ready (I’m still learning), but the QC is lost in the minor details.

View attachment 851317

The spine is pretty straight but the rounding on the edge of the spine is all over the place. Same for the hollow and the grinds that form it, straight but uneven.

View attachment 851319 View attachment 851318

In all it would probably be quite a bit of work to make it look correct symmetrical. I’m sure I’ll try one day. For now I’ll just try to keep it sharp. Hopefully you can see what I mean in the photos.
Yeah, unless you want to do a lot of work, just keeping it sharp and shaving with it is the practical level of involvement, for sure. If you want a GD work of art, start with a 66. More steel to play around with. These razors, just think of them as tools, and use them accordingly, warts and all, is my suggestion.

I did decide to pull the trigger on a W56, BTW. Should be interesting to compare the shave with a stock 66.

Yeah, unless you want to do a lot of work, just keeping it sharp and shaving with it is the practical level of involvement, for sure. If you want a GD work of art, start with a 66. More steel to play around with. These razors, just think of them as tools, and use them accordingly, warts and all, is my suggestion.

I did decide to pull the trigger on a W56, BTW. Should be interesting to compare the shave with a stock 66.

Definitely interested to hear how that goes. The w56 looks a decent bit more substantial and weighty from photos.

View attachment 851317

View attachment 851319 View attachment 851318

My ZY w59 has the same issues with the uneven grind.

Top Bottom