What's new

goatees

Don't know what mine is, I think it's a "Henriquatre" but with a Goatee..., mhm, really don't know...:mellow: :mellow:

But I love it and my sweetheart says:"Don't shave it, I don't want a schoolboy in my bed.":wink: :wink: :wink:

Thomas

mrs. chefchris said:
Soul patches, not sexy. :bored:
Goatees, SEXY!
Sorry, but given the choice between keeping my goatee and getting killed, or just having a soul patch and living, I'll choose living. As I said, the only safe facial hair options for me are a moustache and sould patch, just a soul patch, or just a moustache. And I don't look good with a moustache. Anything else is a life risk in my line of work.

I had a full beard from 1980-1994 or so, then a goatee till a few months back. My wife really likes the goatee, so I'm thinking of growing it back, maybe when the weather gets a bit cooler.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of the soul patch in the picture you linked to--it just looks way too 60s "beatnik" for my taste. I don't know that I could pull it off, or get away with it in my line of work.

The traditional goatee, on the other hand, seems to be in fashion right now, FWIW.:biggrin:

mitch,

yes, it is a "specialty item" no doubt. The soul patch looks good on some but not on others, I just want to see which side I fall on. I've toyed with the idea of growing out the entire goatee, but have stopped myself for whatever reason. I too might give it a shot this winter when it's not so blasted hot.

i'm shocked already at how difficult it is for me to not shave it off thus far. The first week of growing any type of facial hair is brutal, both in looks and in feel.

acoldspoon said:
Sorry, but given the choice between keeping my goatee and getting killed, or just having a soul patch and living, I'll choose living. As I said, the only safe facial hair options for me are a moustache and sould patch, just a soul patch, or just a moustache. And I don't look good with a moustache. Anything else is a life risk in my line of work.

What kind of masks do you use? We have the new Scott packs that cover almost down to the neck so we can wear a goatee. Although I do it on a volutneer basis, your company might have a requirment about having one or not. If it comes down to it, I like to operate the pumps anyway so I have no need to wear it, one way or another. I've been in too many close house fires and I much prefer the MVA's too.

I had a full beard for quite a few years. It does itch for a week or two at first but that soon goes away. The last few years I've sported what I thought was a goatee but according to the Wikipedia article, it should be called a circle beard, or door knocker!

Not being the slimmest bloke in the area, it hides most of the double chin! Also means I don't have to shave the hardest bit.

As a morris dance team musician, some sort of beard (along with the beer gut and pewter tankard) is almost compulsory!

Gareth

acoldspoon said:
Sorry, but given the choice between keeping my goatee and getting killed, or just having a soul patch and living, I'll choose living. As I said, the only safe facial hair options for me are a moustache and soul patch, just a soul patch, or just a moustache. And I don't look good with a moustache. Anything else is a life risk in my line of work.

I certainly meant no offense. I simply was stating my opinion. Some guys do look good in a soul patch. Most don't though.

I certainly wouldn't want any paramedics killed, because of my opinion. As a diabetic, Lord knows I need Paramedics. :001_smile

Justso said:
Problem I have is that I hate the itchy feeling of growing it in for the first week or two. How long does it generally take to get it fully in?

I'd say mine takes about three weeks to fully grow in. I shave it off every time I go to India, then I don't shave for a week on my way back. I've found that trying to shape it any earlier can lead to poor results. I actually grow it for my wife, she thinks I look like a teenager without it.

As far as the scratchy feeling: Beyond just shampooing, I started using conditioner on it. I leave the conditioner in for a few minutes while I shower and then rinse it off. It makes it much softer.

I've had a goatee for 13 years now - and it's never leaving my face. Although, I guess technically mine's a vandyke these days - the moustache and the beard portion don't join up. I've worn it this way for around 3 years now.

The first time I grew it out it took about a month before it looked ok. I shaved it off once in 1996, and it seemed to grow back in about a week.

galopede said:
I had a full beard for quite a few years. It does itch for a week or two at first but that soon goes away. The last few years I've sported what I thought was a goatee but according to the Wikipedia article, it should be called a circle beard, or door knocker!

Not being the slimmest bloke in the area, it hides most of the double chin! Also means I don't have to shave the hardest bit.

As a morris dance team musician, some sort of beard (along with the beer gut and pewter tankard) is almost compulsory!

I was gonna say, Galopede, a morris man on a shaving forum....is that allowed?:wink:

Orest

AACJ said:
What kind of masks do you use? We have the new Scott packs that cover almost down to the neck so we can wear a goatee. Although I do it on a volutneer basis, your company might have a requirment about having one or not. If it comes down to it, I like to operate the pumps anyway so I have no need to wear it, one way or another. I've been in too many close house fires and I much prefer the MVA's too.
The issue isn't getting a good seal with Scott Pack type SCBA. It is half face particulate masks and full face NBC masks that cause a problem, ie M95, M100, and N95. They are a much tighter fit. I have an M95, and it won't fit correctly if I have facial hair on my neck or cheeks. The odd thing is I have given up having a goatee to wear a mask I hope never to wear.

I am trained to use, yet hope never to use, these kinds of masks:
M95 Full Face NBC Mask:
proxy.php

M Series Half Face Particulate Mask:
proxy.php

You can see that there what I wear is a lot tighter than what you wear.

Firefighting SCBA:
proxy.php

M95 Full Face NBC Mask:
proxy.php

mrs. chefchris said:
I certainly meant no offense. I simply was stating my opinion. Some guys do look good in a soul patch. Most don't though.

I certainly wouldn't want any paramedics killed, because of my opinion. As a diabetic, Lord knows I need Paramedics. :001_smile
No offense taken. I'm a diabetic too, BTW.

My wife always wants me to shave mine off, but when I do she laughs at me and says I look funny. So now I don't shave it just keep it trimmed with my whal clippers that I also buzz my head with.

I sport a pretty thick goatee myself. It takes about a month from a clean shave to fill in. My facial hair grows like crazy...sometimes I sear my body has to be producing some kind of miracle-gro for facial hair. I skip shaving one day and I already have hairs, not stubble.

For those pretty-boy wispy goatees, it takes me 48 hours to grow one.

Top Bottom