What's new

Gillette TV special

it´s not very rare. More rare is the british TV: it´s the only rhodium plated Super-Speed.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Anybody have any information regarding any history on the British "TV Special" . Thanks

I think we are wrong with the term "british TV". We didn't know it better until we saw the 1961 advertisement with the #80 set. I´ve now change the information on my site. It looks like the "TV Special" is only a US term

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Hmmm, my D1 definitely has the characteristics of the razor on the left, but it also has the horizontal knurling in the handle as well as the lower twist knob. Why the difference?
Absolutely sure that it's stamped with a "D"? We've seen the letters misread before due to gunk and plating issues. Usually D1 Super Speeds are all like Mr-Razor's pic with the unique TV knurling pattern but it could have come out of the factory with a '57 handle tube, who knows? I'm assuming you don't have the TV Special case.

Thr 58 is a nice looking (Gen 2) razor but many more of those were made than the 54 TV Special (Gen 1). The 54 TV Special only included those razors made during the last half of the year Z-3 and Z-4. Those razors were put in the snappy Blue case. Also the Z-3 and Z-4 ended the Gen 1 model and the Gen 2 Flare Tip Super Speed was also introducted in 1954.

IMG_9915.JPG
IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4567 (1).JPG

Absolutely sure that it's stamped with a "D"? We've seen the letters misread before due to gunk and plating issues. Usually D1 Super Speeds are all like Mr-Razor's pic with the unique TV knurling pattern but it could have come out of the factory with a '57 handle tube, who knows? I'm assuming you don't have the TV Special case.
Here’s what I have, I could read the D before I knew anything about date codes. The 1 on the other side is not as clear in this photo due to lighting. As you can see, the handle assembly looks like a hybrid of the three pictures posted earlier.
5204A206-BFD5-4E71-A7D8-FF765846665C.jpeg
8817EED2-2F17-4BCD-AEEF-6023A7FA0681.jpeg

I think we are wrong with the term "british TV". We didn't know it better until we saw the 1961 advertisement with the #80 set. I´ve now change the information on my site. It looks like the "TV Special" is only a US term

You are correct sir.

Your are correct. Here is the ad you mentioned and my set that I bought years ago that was advertised as a "British TV Special". I was contacted by the same person you were who shared the ad with me. Note the back of the case marked "Made in England. This case looks exactly like a case used in the 60's by Gillette (in the USA) with a regular Flare Tip Super Speed.
61page2.jpg
Brit #80.jpg
Brit 80 case.JPG

I think you are correct about the early 1958 Super Speeds coming out with 1957 tip. I recently saw a picture of another D1 Super Speed with a tip identical to mine.

I have had a few English TV Special Rockets. Every one of them have had some sort of plate loss .. typically on the Rocket thread gap.
They shave like a typical flair tip.

I'm thankful for the search function here! I broke out what I was calling my English TV razor today, that hasn't been used in years and had a great shave. I though the plating looked odd and the razor a little too pristine but now I know my '80' Set is Rhodium plated and just in extra fine condition. I'm happy and lucky to have this one!

Top Bottom