What's new

Gillette Surgeon's Knife

while I was out metal detecting the other day, I found this item that has been made by Gillette. By the way it looks, it appears to be from 1920 - 1940? I have included some sample pics of what I found.
I am wondering what it is, when it was manufactured, and of course if there is any value to it. The square piece on this device still slides up and down or side to side. When the square piece is moved, the bottom part of this device opens like there is some type of "blade" would slide right in.
The place I have metal detected is an old YMCA camp from the 1880s and I have found some really cool and interesting stuff.
Thank you for any help you can provide me with so I can accurately tell people what it is. Thanks again for any help you can give me. Take care.

Kind regards,
Pete Elbert

Attachments

• Gillette Scapel 1a.jpg
    Gillette Scapel 1a.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Gillette Scapel 2a.jpg
    Gillette Scapel 2a.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Down at THE ..... Y M C A !! .... you can find an ancient office knife

In days of old, when knights were bold,, and underwear was made of tin, all scribes used Quill and Ink, if said scribe made a mistake they would scratch the ink off with an office knife. No doubt there are a myriad of uses these were put to, but not surgery? I hope?

Fascinating find! I hope someone can come along & teach us all, I'm curious. As far as value goes, we aren't able to give estimates or valuations on pieces on this forum.
Thak you for your comments. I would also like to know more about this tool and also why it was at a YMCA camp in the first place. Hopefully, there will be more comments to guide me to more information about this. Regarding worth anything...I do realize that this is not the proper forum to ask "how much". As of today....I have never sold or made a profit from anything I have ever uncovered while metal detecting (and I have found a few diamond rings and other valuables). Most of the time, if I am on a property that has given me permission to dig on, I will always offer my finds to the person that owns or manages the property. Almost all of the time, they just tell me to keep what I find.
Thank you for your reply on this subject. Take care.

Pete

It is no more than an office utility knife.

no children were disected with it.
A quick search shows a more common model of Gillette office knife that takes a proprietary bellied blade, I assume this knife would take the same blade?
It reminds me of an old brass Swann Morton craft knife I have.
IMG_3798.JPG

Top Bottom