What's new

Gillette Super Speed (1976) black handle needs to be fixed

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I bought a Super Speed not too long ago from eBay. The razor was tuned up by the seller. It’s pretty shiny. When I first opened it, it was coughing and squeaking a lot!

I drop some mineral oil in the mechanism and let it rest for a few days. Shaves twice with the razor and if feels a bit rough. I still get a BBS no irritation but I was expecting this to be way smoother.

I shook the razor and something is loose. I normally twist the knob until it stops turning without any excessive force. I turn the knob until I get to the end.

I tried to twist the knob harder. Maybe 1/8 of inch more. Really hard, the razor is much smoother but I can still hear something when I shake it.

Is there an adjustment somewhere to tighten the mechanism?

I don’t have the security screw inside the knob but some kind of ring.

I've not had one apart, yet? but it appears to me to be the same as the Lady Gillette ring/circlip/retainer//thingy
the ring will fit into a recess in the tto nob when fully open so it locks the ring to the shaft, no chance of popping the ring off?
if the owner had it apart? that ring is the {THE} hardest bleedin THING under the sun to get right, both getting it out and back in 🅾️
you leaning on the nob for the extra 1/8th has more than likely pushed the ring into the groove it should sit in, i still want to know how Mr Gillette put that in in the factory?

so? i gets mine oot case to check for rattles and the bleedin end cap falls off?? how good is that? but it had no rattles, closed
the circlip shaft is simple, a simple nut bolt thread configuration stopped by the circlip, the circlip can rattle, if the nob was popped there is a fine line between lose and over tight when retightening the ring at the base of the black bit holding the nob in~ rattles
open everything rattles, its a simple design with a lot of slop when open

I might come back shortly with an exploded view? or an exploded head? its going to have to come apart now it's oot cabinet and just falling apart :underbus:

Is there an adjustment somewhere to tighten the mechanism?
NO !!

SOUP a Speed.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Thank you for the exploded mechanism. Because it’s one piece, there’s nothing to adjust. It might be a matter of having more lubricant on those last threads to close properly.

I will try to put some mineral oil on the ring and leave the TTO open (minus a quarter turn) upside down for 24hrs. I will then open and close the razor a few times.

I will leave it open and proceed with another shot of mineral oil from the top. I will again leave the razor standing for 24hrs.

Gravity should work it’s way in every single creases!

Luc

Staff member
While I wait for the oil to do its magic (I'm hoping), I've been reading the Gillette instructions for their safety razors.

More specifically, how to close the mechanism. I saw the warning to only use the knob to open and close the doors (no issues here). I guess my question is how hard do I twist the knob?

Normally (and that's how I think it should work for this razor), I would turn the knob to close the doors using my thumb and index until it reaches the end. I won't grip the knob to apply extra pressure to close it or do an extra 1/8-1/4 turn to make sure its secure.

In my case, it seems that if I apply extra pressure, it shaves better. So, how hard do I close the doors?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
So, how hard do I close the doors?

As hard as is necessary to clamp the blade securely. Things wear over time, so threads could be stretched a bit, or there could be dirt/soap in the threads that prevent proper closing right at the end.
I would think that a soak in really hot water and degreasing soap would be more helpful than mineral oil at cleaning out the threads if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

Luc

Staff member
As hard as is necessary to clamp the blade securely. Things wear over time, so threads could be stretched a bit, or there could be dirt/soap in the threads that prevent proper closing right at the end.
I would think that a soak in really hot water and degreasing soap would be more helpful than mineral oil at cleaning out the threads if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.
I believe that it's fairly clean as the knob has no resistance at all when opening/closing. It moves like it should without anything jamming. The doors are smooth to open and close. You are likely right about the situation regarding the threads being stretched.

I need to play with it a bit more. It's been a while since I used a TTO.

The actual travel length from closed to fully out of the nob is 10mm +/- 0.notmuch
the length of thread is 15mm +/- 0.notmuch
hence there is a margin of 5mm +/- 0.notmuch of thread unused when the doors are closed

In the open position, do the end caps wobble/move, even by the width of a bees anatomy?

Luc

Staff member
When fully open, I can move the top left and right by 1mm. The same goes for up/down with the shot below. I believe that's normal.
IMG_1993.JPG

This is where I think the situation is. Left is when I reach the end when twisting close. Right is when I tighten the knob. There's zero wiggle when I'm on the left or right picture.
IMG_1994_c.JPGIMG_1996_t.JPG

For the record, it's already easier to achieve the right picture with all that mineral oil. I plan to let the razor absorb the oil for a few days before using it. I believe that the situation will be resolved. I should be able to confirm this when I shave with the razor.

I'm reluctant to suggest any more to fix it, as the end caps are not the most brilliant idea Mr and Mrs Gillette ever came up with, they were good for one bend in the factory to seat them once. :crying:

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
I oiled the razor again this morning but this time, the dial is opened 100% to allow the oil in the last threads. The razor is standing up so gravity should do it's magic. I might do an upside-down fully opened tomorrow but I think it might be overkill at that stage.

I'm reluctant to suggest any more to fix it, as the end caps are not the most brilliant idea Mr and Mrs Gillette ever came up with, they were good for one bend in the factory to seat them once. :crying:
Well after gluing the cap, was suckcessfull, it survived the door installation, but didn't survive the percussive installation of that pesky little ring retainer, 💩 !!

it had to come apart again 👿 I was trying to get away without replating 🐟

Oh what a pain 🤕 to silver solder without getting a blob of 🤮

1-IMG_20240419_201456.jpg

Mr/Mrs G those were not a good way to do end caps ⁉️

• Sad
Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
Test drive tonight. I see a very minimal difference between twisting the knob until the doors are closed (nothing moves) and applying a bit of pressure (tighter). I will report back when the shave is done, I believe it should be all right now. The mechanism is *much* smoother!

Luc

Staff member
Top Bottom