What's new

Gillette President vs. #21 vs. #58 vs. #66

Gentlemen, I need some help making up my mind here!!! :lol:

I've been considering buying one of these four razors (The President, #21, #58 and #66), but I can't decide which to pick up. Of course, the best solution would be to pick them all up (along with the other Aristocrats), but I can't afford to do that :blink: (the resulting divorce itself would bankrupt me......or the hospital bills).

Anyway, I like the HD Rocket, but am looking for something a wee bit more aggressive than that, while retaining the smooth shave of the Rocket. My question to you all is: Do any of these four razors fit the bill (more aggressive than the HD Rocket..but still smooth). If so, which one fits the bill the best? Or is there no way I can go wrong with any of these.

The weight of the #66 and #21 are both listed at 73g, while the #58 is lighter....at 68g (not really significant). I can't find a weight for the President (no political jokes, please :biggrin1:). Going by the maxim that with similar heads the heavier razors would be more aggressive, that should put the #66 and #21 on top, but the difference is really insignificant.

And finally, yes....the list is restricted to these four razors.

Thanks for any insight you guys have WRT this.

Last edited:
Of those listed, I've owned a #58, HD Rocket and #66 and they were all pretty much the same - same heads anyway.

Unless money is no object I'd stick with the HD.

Well, I'll admit to being attracted by the looks of the Aristocrats to some degree :blushing:, but if the consensus is that there's no real difference between any of these and the HD Rocket, then I'll most likely opt to stick with it.

My #66 is heavier than my Rocket but because the Rocket is physically smaller it felt heavier . . . does that make sense?

Anyway, I found the HD to be a slightly more aggressive (in a good way) shaver for me.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
The #66 will do as my friend from Maine suggests... satisfy your aggressive close shave and score in the looks department. I have owned them all multiple times and only the #58 remains in my den. The particular one I have has near perfect fixed head blade exposure for my beard. You really can't go wrong with any of the finer British Gillettes.

I have several Rocket HDs (they are very common here in France) and a lovely shiny Aristocrat #21 as well. There is no question that the latter gives a more aggressive shave. I really have to pay attention with the #21; with the HD, I just coast. Visually, I can't imagine two razors with more different characters. The Rocket looks like an honest English plowman sitting down to rest by the side of the road with a slab of cheese and an onion. The #21 is the Duke of the Seven Dials stepping out of his carriage in Piccadilly.

The #21 has a solid plate under the head like the Aristocrat Jr. The #15 and #16 are quite similar. I find them heavier and providing a closer shave than the #66 or the #58. I think the blade exposure is close with all these razors. I would say the open comb is slightly more aggressive but it seems that razor is not on your list.

Thanks for the insights, guys!

I was expecting fewer people to have tried the #21, as I don't read about it much on the various shaving fora, so moshulu's post was very welcome.

I'm getting the impression here that the #66 is perhaps slightly more aggressive than the HD Rocket, but the #21 may be significantly more aggressive.

Still, we need more people with experience using these razors to chime in. :w00t:

The #21 has a solid plate under the head like the Aristocrat Jr. The #15 and #16 are quite similar. I find them heavier and providing a closer shave than the #66 or the #58. I think the blade exposure is close with all these razors. I would say the open comb is slightly more aggressive but it seems that razor is not on your list.

The listed razors are the ones I know I can get my hands on at the moment, which is why the list is limited to them.

EDIT: A #15 would be nice though. :em2200:

Last edited:
I have several Rocket HDs (they are very common here in France) and a lovely shiny Aristocrat #21 as well. There is no question that the latter gives a more aggressive shave. I really have to pay attention with the #21; with the HD, I just coast. Visually, I can't imagine two razors with more different characters. The Rocket looks like an honest English plowman sitting down to rest by the side of the road with a slab of cheese and an onion. The #21 is the Duke of the Seven Dials stepping out of his carriage in Piccadilly.

The #21 is probably my favorite solid guard bar DE. I don't find it aggressive in terms of having to be careful, but it's certainly a serious shaver. Great weight and balance and for me, it's actually quite forgiving. In fact, I regularly bounce back and forth between my #21 and HD Rocket or #58 w/o transition issues. If I was forced to have one DE (yeah right), it's probably the #21.

Next in line for me is the HD Rocket/#58. Wonderful shavers with nice heft and balance.

As for the #66, it's a really nice shaver but I frankly put it in the same performance class as the President and Aristocrat. Yes, it's beefier and certainly beautiful but the head design is close if not exactly the same for all three. To me, the #16 with its heavier head is a better shaver and looks almost the same as the #66.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have several Rocket HDs (they are very common here in France) and a lovely shiny Aristocrat #21 as well. There is no question that the latter gives a more aggressive shave. I really have to pay attention with the #21; with the HD, I just coast.

I agree with Moshulu. My HD and #58 I would say shave basically the same ...just different knurling. ( I prefer the #58 on pure looks compared with the HD )

My #21 and #16 I would say are more agressive than the above. Whether it's because of the head design, the flat base, the rhodium plating ( or purely my imagination ) ....I dunno.

The Aristocrats are another step up again in terms of looks

My HD and #58 are my everyday , don't have to think about too much shavers, and the Aristocrats come out once in a while for "special" shaves.

Can't go wrong with any of them :thumbup1:

Of course YMMV :001_smile

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Hmm, fidgit, thanks for the pics. The HD and the #58 do look like the same razor....so that's out of the running.

I'm leaning towards the #21 here and will probably go with that razor. Thanks for everyone's help, you guys are the best!!

I should have mentioned the #22 (most beautiful Gillette razor IMHO) since it seems to be indistinguishable from the #66 (someone please correct me). It is mild, maybe a bit more so than the Rocket HD.

Top Bottom