What's new

Gillette Mach 3 New vs Original Handle Weight

I recently picked up a new silver Gillette Mach 3 for travel and noticed the handle was much heavier than I expected it to be. I've never had one before but it got me wondering if the new Mach 3 handles are still made of the same materials as the original ones in the 90s and 2000s. Have there been any changes to the base model silver and black Mach 3 over the years? I know the blades themselves have changed somewhat but I can't find any information out there on the stock Gillette handle. Anyone who has had experience with the original and new model please let me know your opinions. Thank you!

I tried several expensive aftermarket Mach3 handles made of fancy wood and metal, to get away from the cheap plastic feel. Problem was these custom Machs used aftermarket M3 heads, and there were several instances when those heads broke. I got fed up and went looking for the originals and found two 1998 U.S. models on eBay. The handles were decent and there has never been a problem with the Gillette-sourced heads.

The original handle (US made???) has some differences, the most obvious one is that the neck section near where the cart snaps on isn't cored out like it is on the newer ones....I assume this was done to save on material. The newest ones are more of a gunmetal color rather than silver too. Weight seems very similar to me.

I have a white handle with green trim from a Mach3 Sensitive model that I found at Big Lots a few years ago, from memory that one is the only one I have that is plastic rather than metal.

Older ones are metal, New ones called Mach 3 Start is plastic. I had original handle and lost it, still have plastic mach 3 sensitive that turned yellow.

My Gillette M3 Turbo handle is made of metal. It has significant heft, relatively speaking.
IMG_20230430_221533378.jpg

Maybe 30 gms from guesstumating razor weights from hard-won experience. I'm finding my guesses to be fairly accurate.

Slightly lighter than my English late 50's Alu Tech.
IMG_20221009_205523260.jpg

The English Tech is around 40 gms max. It has the brass end cap and baseplate.

Last edited:
My Gillette M3 Turbo handle is made of metal. It has significant heft, relatively speaking.
View attachment 1842030

Maybe 30 gms from getting to know razor weights from hard-won experience.

Slightly lighter than my English late 50's Alu Tech.
Yeah these ste little lighter than their vintage razore. I haven't seen normal metal mach 3 razor for long time. I Like Turbo design. Cheers.

My running/hiking/trail season started and this what I'm using for the last couple of weeks.
Cheap but great foam that has menthol in it. Very basic twin blade disposable (I think personna makes them for supermarket brand)
and Pitralon Polar as aftershave.
Pack od 20 razors ~3 euros
Foam 1.5 euros
For what it is excellent shaves. I get 3 shaves and in the thrash.

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_143136.jpg
    IMG_20240512_143136.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
I love the Mach3. The handle is just right, the pivoting head is easy to use, the rubber hair-flattener thing is comfy, you name it. No DE comes close to its efficiency and comfort.

A small blob from a can of Barbasol Aloe worked in and hydrated adequately followed by a small amount of Nivea Cooling Balm and I have yet to get a better shave with brushes, soaps, creams and DE’s.

Enjoy your shaves everyone, however you like!

Top Bottom