Gibbs, Darth Ak-Sar-Ben, or AkSarBen

Where do you live?

Fennville, Michigan, USA

What is your age (or) generation?

What are you in the real world?

Southwest part of Michigan

What is your favorite shave setup?

One that provide no nicks or cuts

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?

Photography, guns, reloading, shooting, didgeridoo, internet

What else should the members of B&B know about you?

Well, I'll post the following:

I'm Vernon, aka Gibbs on here and I live near Fennville, MI. Started shaving with a straight razor about 2 weeks ago, but been a member here since around the 12th or so... I think. First shave I didn't have to poke a finger for checking blood sugars, as I managed to get in a nice cut (not nick) I have practiced with a dull razor since then and working on honing skills. Just shaved this afternoon on Saturday the 26, Feb and my wife took my picture. So now you know who the real "Gibbs" looks like on here. I really enjoy ALL of your help and understanding and encouragement. Anyway, my 4th shave entirely with a Gold Bug vintage straight razor circa 1930 or before.

proxy.php

And my setup for shaving. Dovo being honed as we speak. It's new, but I have a few others. The brush and mug were from Herman Barnum who wanted me to have them after his passing. I watched Herm shave back in the mid 1960 using this same mug and brush and his straight razor. It still works.

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Great entry Vern.

The focus due to the fear of cutting ourselves helps develop the skills required pretty quickly.

Best of luck on your straight shaving journey.

Mike

Welcome to the hall Vernon,
Great entry , just im curious to know your soap in your mug ?
Thanks.

I love that shave soap! It's "Delux Shave Soap with Aloe Vera & Shea Butter for dry sking - Heavy Beard" made by Van Der Hagen Industries. Not expensive, as I get it at my local Wal-Mart for $1.54. I put some on my wife's skin one time and she remarked that it is silky smooth. VERY smooth lather. Satisfaction Guaranteed, either take it back to Wal-Mart or contact them. For only $1.54 though it's worth it to just try.

I got this razor on ebay recently for $29.99. It was the starting bid and the only bid. He mis-spelled the name in the listing as "Henkles" and I may have been the only one looking at it, or, it may be worn out. It is about 1/2" width on the blade edge to spine (back) aka 4/8 but just a little bit less than that. So, I post a couple of pictures of it here to see if it still has life. Shaves alright but very different than the 5/8 GOLD BUG, ro the 6/8 Dovo.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The guy selling it on ebay said it was from a friend who wanted to sell it, and it was his friend's Grandfathers razor. Why would you sell a family keepsake? I wish I had my Grandfathers razor.

Last edited:
Do you all think that the Henckels above still has some life in it? Or was it honed past it's prime?

Vernon, welcome to the Hall of Fame! I have an older brother named Vernon, we just call him Bush. So the name is very special to me.

Thanks all for the wonderful welcomes!!!

I shaved my 5th shave last night with a Gold Bug I had dulled at first and used as a practice razor, shaving several times a day (practice taking lather off). Then, after I got my 1 cent ebay Pakistan razor (yep, only cost 1 penny), I honed the Gold Bug back to life and have shaved twice with it since.
proxy.php

I have only shaved 2 times with the Gold Bug, my 4th and last night 5th time. Practicing with the dulled Pakistani razor let me feel the direction of the growth of my beard and I was shaving, at first, against the grain on my neck under my ears. So, last night I shaved up on my neck until I got to under my chin, then I shaved down, as they grow down about there. My neck is not razor burned this morning!!! YEA! Then, I shaved the rest of my face after doing my neck. Second lather was a lot more comfortable getting the last little bit off. Upper lip was a bit more tricky, but no nicks.

I have to revise the Gold Bug picture. I recently bought a Wade & Butcher at the same antique store for 5.00 just for the handles (scales). The blade is a big mess, all pieces chunked out of it, but the handle looks good. I put those Mulcuto Lifelong scales back on the Mulcuto razor and put the scales from the W&W on the Gold Bug. Guy gave me the original Gold Bug (by A. Witte - Germany) as well. Looks pretty nice now.

proxy.php

I shaved tonight with this razor, the one I had dulled clear down to use as a practice razor and then honed back to life. Shave was very good. I had nice long strokes, down the face , up, under the chin, and a little more carefully around the upper lip and chin. Shaved twice WTG and ATG and no nicks and no razor burn. Think it was my 6th shave. I carry around the Pakistani razor I bought off ebay for a penny and dulled it down. When I have a moment I stand in front of a mirror and practice and imagine shaving with it. I practice the hold, the technique, the light touch, etc. Must work, because tonight I was shaving long strokes down my face and under my jaw line area with not much problems. Shaved pretty smoothly.

Also, if you notice the pictures of the same razor with the different scales, you will see when I had the Mulcuto Lifelong scales on it there were not jimps. It did not come with any, but when I had the blade off, I put it in my vice and used my Dremmel with the fine cut off wheel and went across the top and bottom putting in jimps (groves), and then used the small steel brush to smooth them out and finished with a round rubber wheel that has polishing compound impregnated in it. Now I have jimps on the bottom and the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom