What's new

Getting Started Wetshaving ~ Tutorial

While waiting from my goods to come in from Lee's Razors (taking quiet a bit of a time), I've decided to do some reading.

THis is by far the best tutorial i've read so far for a newb. Thanks!

I went with:
Merkur HD
Vulfix Pure Badger brush
Merkur Blades, I'll prolly end up getting Derby's from ebay.
Creamo cream tube
Musgo Real Tube

Can't wait to get started.

I like how everything was very specific. I especially like how you clearly articulated the idea that DE blades still need some pressure added. Sure DE blades are meant to glide on your face rather than be mashed, but I feel that many tutorials give the wrong impression that ZERO pressure is needed leading me to at first have this awkward dangle about my grip.

But you're right, it is hard until you get the "feel" switching from a M3, and "light pressure" can be misleading. Personally my pressure is somewhere right between the weight of the razor and light pressure. A delicate balance that is tricky even after monthes of wetshaving.

I like how everything was very specific. I especially like how you clearly articulated the idea that DE blades still need some pressure added. Sure DE blades are meant to glide on your face rather than be mashed, but I feel that many tutorials give the wrong impression that ZERO pressure is needed leading me to at first have this awkward dangle about my grip.

But you're right, it is hard until you get the "feel" switching from a M3, and "light pressure" can be misleading. Personally my pressure is somewhere right between the weight of the razor and light pressure. A delicate balance that is tricky even after monthes of wetshaving.

You're right about the pressure, I use the term, "a light, confident stroke" because you don't need much pressure, but you do need some and you need to have a determined, confident stroke.

I just started using a DE this week:
Merkur HD & Derby blades, but I find I'm getting a closer shave w/ my M3. However I haven't taken any time to try & perfect my technique yet, so my 1st guess based on this (shoulda read this last week!) is my blade angle is wrong.

Thanks

Great article, I am just getting myself going and this really helps me out alot. Now I am trying to figure out were I can buy my first safe razor here.

C

carvingDE

Wow great info for a newbie like me! It answered a lot of questions I had. Thanks!

Excellent tutorial! As a total noob to "proper" wetshaving (brush, DE razor - I've been using canned goo and a cartridge razor for years), the detail are extremely helpful. I'm just waiting on my supplies to arrive.

You told me exactly what I needed to know on the lather. When I was shaving I realized that I felt some gripping around my chin but thanks to your advice now I know that my lather was not slick enough. I appreciate it.

So I take a shower and then do a shave and I have this terrible problem coming up with lather. So after attempting to shave with it anyway I come in here to learn a bit about it. Low and behold I was using too much water. So I go into the bathroom to try and come up with a better lather and it works great. Stupid me however I decide to take another try at a better shave. I rush through the prep cause it is getting a bit late and start shaving with a great lather but a shoddily prepped face, the razor is dry and just drags over the skin. Nice and close but I needed my face a little more moist. Got a bit of a burn going on. Hey it's only my third time.

F

fisherman23

I am just starting out and this will really help. Thanks for the post, I really appreciate your input.

Thanks again.

I am a newbie. I just want to say thank you for the great tutorial. I have tried this method the past two mornings and I am getting a great shave. I purchased a Superior Brush 20mm knot which should be delivered this week. Again, thanks.

This always kind of bothered me: Why wet shaving? Is there such a thing as dry shaving? I can't imagine anyone just slathering on some cream and ripping away. Does anyone actually do this? Or is this just some form of semantic thing?

This always kind of bothered me: Why wet shaving? Is there such a thing as dry shaving? I can't imagine anyone just slathering on some cream and ripping away. Does anyone actually do this? Or is this just some form of semantic thing?

I'm not an expert here, but shaving with an electric razor is dry. Also, using a brush hydrates the hair follicles better, making it a wet shave.

In the past I used to actually shave *dry*. I did this for about 9 months or so and then stopped because I was destroying my razors and couldn't afford to keep replacing the cartridges. I was young and lazy, what do you expect! Now I've gone full circle lol

From the original post...
So if you hold the razor parallel, put the head against your face, and slowly lower the angle of the handle / blade until it starts to cut (you’ll hear it when it does), then you've got a good angle.

Which part of the razor should start parallel to what? Handle to floor (handle pointing away from your face) or head to face (handle pointing to the ground)?

I would assume you would start with the handle parallel to your face (so the safety bar is against your skin), then widen the angle (moving the end of the handle away from your face) until the blade and safety bar are both against your face. Is that correct?

Top Bottom