What's new

Geo S. Trumper Sandalwood shave cream - stinks?

I received a bunch of samples a while back. Included was a sample of Trumper Sandalwood. I tried it out this morning. while it lathered fine and felt good on my face, I didn't like the smell. Did not smell like sandalwood at all. The scent reminded me of the burnt ended of an extinguished cigarette. I'm not kidding, either. That's what I thought of.

Have you tried this cream? What are your thoughts on the smell?

• Wow
Reactions: Kix
I have a full tub of it, and have never had this issue. I haven't used it in a while, so I may have to check it and give it a shot. What was the sample stored in? Was it exposed to anything else that might have caused this?

I've seen lot of people say it smells smoky or sort of burnt. "Ashtray" is not an uncommon descriptor. I don't think it smells literally like an ashtray, but I do get the smoky connection. I'm not sure how Trumper came to think this was sandalwood. That said, I do think there are some similarities between this and DRH Marlborough, which has a lot of cedar and other woods in it, including sandalwood, so maybe the Trumper is sort of a catch-all wood blend. I have mixed feelings about the scent; I'm sort of intrigued by it, but it's pretty bold, and I soon tire of it. I've had my tub for years, and have barely made a dent in it.

FWIW, the cream is totally different from either the Trumper sandalwood Skin Food (which smells the same as the sandalwood cologne), or the sandalwood shave soap (which doesn't smell like anything else in the sandalwood range). So, despite the common packaging graphics, there really is no single Trumper sandalwood scent.

This is my daily shave cream and all I notice is a very mild, sandalwoody smell. Funnily enough, I often combine it with DRH Marlborough as the aftershave in which, of course, some folk also detect a hint of the ashtray.

I have a full tub of it, and have never had this issue. I haven't used it in a while, so I may have to check it and give it a shot. What was the sample stored in? Was it exposed to anything else that might have caused this?

It was stored in a container like this...
$cream.jpg

And I don't think it was exposed to anything. Who knows how old the sample is. But, it just wasn't for me.

Who knows how old the sample is. But, it just wasn't for me.

I don't think there was anything wrong with your sample. Your take on the scent matches a number of comments I've read, and isn't all that far off from what I think about it. Scents are subjective, and as you said, this one just wasn't for you.

I ordered the sample pack from GFT years ago and remember the sandalwood smelling like a diaper. The other samples weren't that great either. Maybe they were old.

I really enjoy the scent of the sandalwood soap.

I used to work near a Hotel that used a coal boiler to heat water, in order to heat their rooms. I used to walk past it every day. When I used the GFT sandal wood cream, it gave me flash backs of walking past the coal boiler! It wasn't over poweringly strong, and I didn't mind it so I wasn't bothered. Having said that, I don't mind the smell of burning coal, also reminds me of old trains!

Pulling this from the archives. I bought a tub of Trumper's Sandalwood because I heard it was good, and I generally like the sandalwood scent. This morning was my first use.

What a disappointment! There's hardly any scent at all. If I hold the brush practically in my nose, I can pick up a faint scent of lumber yard. The performance was great, but the scent non-existant. This was the second fail in two days with Trumper's, second one being yesterday trying the Spanish Leather, which also had little scent.

I like my shaving creams to have a nice scent as it's aroma therapy to me while I'm shaving. I don't care if it doesn't last long, because I look at my aftershave to provide my daily scent. Once I've used these two creams up, there will be no replacement.

I have a tub and to me it smells like burning Sandalwood incense, though its very faint and subtle. I do wish it was as strong as the soap, which I really like (my 2nd favorite sandalwood behind Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood).

The cream, shaving soap (and bath soap) and the skinfood (and cologne) are three different takes on Mysore Sandalwood, seemingly covering a Sandalwood spectrum with the cologne capturing the essence of the sweetness actual sandalwood using other ingredients, while the shaving and bath soap captures its sharpness and the cream capturing it in incense form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom