What's new

Genco

Discovered Genco/ Geneva cutlery company straight razors, this week, from here Good and Bad Straight Razor Brands , and here Don't buy Genco razors

I’m getting deeper in the rabbit hole…

I have a master barber, and an easy on the eyes incoming

What do you know about these? Collectable? shave quality? Steel? Any info? Links? More models? cost range in your area?

Here is a quick list of models/ names stamped on tang
Henry’s XX

Henry’s X
Master barber
Master barber Jr.
Fluid steel

Expert
Easy aces
Dear ma ?
Heavy
Master cutler
Vanadium

Army Navy
President
Old Dutch
De Roma

Gold Bug
Cavalier
Athoffs’s Gold seal
Alwin

Last edited:
Here is my firs one. Handle is loud green and very flimsy and flexible (celluloid), blade does hit scales when closing. I kinda like the loud green, it loud in a good way, wish they stayed stiffer. No work done yet ( this season weekend’s project. I am going to get these Re- scaled. Has a bit of a smile, slight nick on edge. I feel like this in great shape given age. Found at local vintage / antique store. I paid $23 out the door ( I think it was a fair price?). My first piece of American steel!
BA2D2323-00B9-4096-A55C-5D0A814F4569.jpeg

Genco razors are wonderful finds. The steel is very hard. They hold their edge very well. They were an "everyman's" razor. Here's my granddad's Genco de Roma 4/8s. Everything you see is original. This little lady drives like a high-end sports car.

DSC_3112 - Genco de Roma.jpg

Genco razors are wonderful finds. The steel is very hard. They hold their edge very well. They were an "everyman's" razor. Here's my granddad's Genco de Roma 4/8s. Everything you see is original. This little lady drives like a high-end sports car.

View attachment 935390
that is a looker!!!
and that is a functional family heirloom make it even better!!!

Just got a pre merger model 7 today on the recommendation from old man @steveclarkus .

I’ve been reading about the excellence of N.Y. steel. Nothing fancy about the original Geneva Triangle Brand. Apparently just a great razor.

Here is my firs one. Handle is loud green and very flimsy and flexible (celluloid), blade does hit scales when closing. I kinda like the loud green, it loud in a good way, wish they stayed stiffer. No work done yet ( this season weekend’s project. I am going to get these Re- scaled. Has a bit of a smile, slight nick on edge. I feel like this in great shape given age. Found at local vintage / antique store. I paid $23 out the door ( I think it was a fair price?). My first piece of American steel!
View attachment 935358

Might consider putting a third pin with a bushing that catches the shank and spreads the scales slightly if you like doing such work.

Might consider putting a third pin with a bushing that catches the shank and spreads the scales slightly if you like doing such work.

no scale work....... yet... may just get new scales for this one, but those loud green scales are growing on me

I have two genco and they took great edges and shave as good as any I have . I love them and want more. I have a gold seal and an unknown model. Neither had been honed afaik

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Love them! I have a Geneva Cutlery NOS and a GENCO. The GENCO was made in PA so it was probably made by Case after they purchased GENCO. Both are great razors. Everyone should have at least one. America made very good razors and they can be found at very reasonable prices as they lack a certain “snob appeal”.

The Gold Bugs are also fantastic razors, here is mine and they hold a edge well and you like the green scales you will love the yellow but they have a white wedge.

But I had to ship from the States.

20180909_203421.jpg

Last edited:
i love the translucent scales and hot colors!!! are these original scales?.... the one i have is super flimsy and flexible. i have to be super careful closing it not to catch edge.

i love the translucent scales and hot colors!!! are these original scales?.... the one i have is super flimsy and flexible. i have to be super careful closing it not to catch edge.

Hi no I had to change mine as when I got it had something on the scales, that I could not remove but mine now are Acrilic made to the same shape as the original but this is how it came to me

5.jpg
20180906_011701.jpg

As you can see that was sanded but it was burnt into the original scales...

The Gold Bugs are also fantastic razors, here is mine and they hold a edge well and you like the green scales you will love the yellow but they have a white wedge.

But I had to ship from the States.

View attachment 935998
Like the Razor, Like the Soap, assume I like the cologne, Like soap container (if was cheaper), Like the brush handle :)

Nice SOTD

Great restore!

Good razors. Just want to add Torrey and geo.w. Korn to the American list. If you end up buying a few razors. They are plenty and usually lower priced. Good luck

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
View attachment 935358

Yes, that was a good price IMHO, as long as you think you got a good deal.

American vintage razors are quite underrated but honestly I would put mass produced American steel up against Solingen razors any day, for sheer functionality. Genco made literally tons of razors and they were all pretty darn good. My favorite American razor is probably the Union Spike but Genco razors are great, too. They are so common that they can be had pretty cheap, so they are usually a solid buy. Compare that to for example the Sheffield razors with their huge cult following... very good razors, yes, but often priced well above what you are actually getting, due to collector demand.

Top Bottom