What's new

GBS Strop for the newbie

I read somewhere on here that when getting started straight shaving just about any strop will do. So I went and grabbed a GBS cowhide leather strop from Amazon.

First impressions? Well...it's leather? I'm not an expert in anything SR related so I'm at a loss for reviewing. But has anyone had any experience with these?

Attachments

• 20170218_163438.jpg
    20170218_163438.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for the reply, J.

I had the feeling that was the case. I'm wondering if there is anyway I can salvage it with a conditioner or something. I supposee I'd best looked to a Whipped Dog strop for my first workable one.

That leather looks nice! Neverthought about making a strop...never really worked with leather either. How would you go about making a strop with that lovely cow hide?

Last edited:
I applied a couple applications of neatsfoot oil including one soak from the back and it improved. It just bothered me that it will take a little effort to get the waves out. I am sure you can make it workable and will certainly be useful to learn on. If you cut it up while learning your technique its no great loss. It just may not be best strop for maintaining the edge.

Thanks for the reply, J.

That leather looks nice! Neverthought about making a strop...never really worked with leather either. How would you go about making a strop with that lovely cow hide?

I just cut a piece about 24 inches long. Punched a hole in one end where I loop a shoelace and tie it to a door knob.

Oiled it with Neatsfoot and used a rolling pin on the finished side to smooth everything out. Next day it was ready to go.

By the way, I got the GBS and later the leather strip to work out my technique. I also have a beautiful Tony Miller strop but I didn't want to put a blade on it until I was not "cutting up" the cheap strops.....

Top Bottom