What's new

G5C Vs. GELOUSY SHD FAN 2 BAND

I am looking to purchase a few new knots. Wondering if there is a big difference between a 26mm G5C premium synthetic knot Vs. 26mm gelousy SHD fan 2 band badger?

The SHD is more than double the price of the G5C... worth it? Pros?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I am looking to purchase a few new knots. Wondering if there is a big difference between a 26mm G5C premium synthetic knot Vs. 26mm gelousy SHD fan 2 band badger?

The SHD is more than double the price of the G5C... worth it? Pros?
Well, one is a synthetic and the other a badger. Big difference, and I would not even try to compare these.

Well, one is a synthetic and the other a badger. Big difference, and I would not even try to compare these.

Mr. Vey, I would appreciate if you could give more details to your reply. There are outstanding reviews on the G5C, as well as excellent reviews on the SHD, and I am looking to purchase a few 26mm fan knots. Would simply like a good knot without paying an arm and a leg.

Rudy Vey

Mr. Vey, I would appreciate if you could give more details to your reply. There are outstanding reviews on the G5C, as well as excellent reviews on the SHD, and I am looking to purchase a few 26mm fan knots. Would simply like a good knot without paying an arm and a leg.
You have to ask yourself if you wanted a badger brush or a synthetic first. Sure, the syns are always cheaper than a badger. So, if money is the issue, go for the synthetic. But, as you state "a few 26 mm fan knots", get one each - this is the common B&B answer....

You have to ask yourself if you wanted a badger brush or a synthetic first. Sure, the syns are always cheaper than a badger. So, if money is the issue, go for the synthetic. But, as you state "a few 26 mm fan knots", get one each - this is the common B&B answer....

I have brushes with various knots. A Bob Moffett brush with a V21 Fanchurian, a Oumo with a Manchuria M-1 handtied finest two band badger. Semogues with either boar or the Mistura. An AKAbrushworx with the G5C knot. Black badger knot on a Dscosmetic brush, and lastly a West Coast Shaving with a black badger.

I find I can lather equally well with any of them and the differences are the black badgers are softer on the face. I am mighty content with the scratchiness of the boars. I've used the brush with the G5C twice now and find it does a lovely job.

So in the grand scheme of things, am I really gaining anything by paying more than double for the SHD over a G5C?

Rudy Vey

I have brushes with various knots. A Bob Moffett brush with a V21 Fanchurian, a Oumo with a Manchuria M-1 handtied finest two band badger. Semogues with either boar or the Mistura. An AKAbrushworx with the G5C knot. Black badger knot on a Dscosmetic brush, and lastly a West Coast Shaving with a black badger.

I find I can lather equally well with any of them and the differences are the black badgers are softer on the face. I am mighty content with the scratchiness of the boars. I've used the brush with the G5C twice now and find it does a lovely job.

So in the grand scheme of things, am I really gaining anything by paying more than double for the SHD over a G5C?
I like badgers. In my stash of brushes is a brush with an Oumo Lotus SHD knot, but it is not highly processed, it is not so extremely plush/pillowy/jelly-like. I like it, although I am normally do not care too much for processed knots, but this one I can deal with. In regards to synthetics, I have two that I really like and use frequently: a RV Shaving with Muehle STF knot and a Wald A1. I cannot make a recommendation for any of the "G" knots as I have not used them myself.

Top Bottom