What's new

Frustrated With iKon X3 razor and. Feather Blades

Hello all,
I have using a new iKon X3 razor on an iKon Bulldog handle with Feather blades for the last two shaves and have encountered the worst skin irritation and burning using TOB shave cream on the first shave, then Pre de Provence shave soap for my second shave with five days in between shaves. Has anyone else had this experience? Am I doing something wrong?

Beard and face: coarse beard, normal skin on face, sensitive on neck area. Chin can get irritated as it is my trouble spot.
Shaving pressure and angle: I am very aware of using as little pressure as possible, but may use a bit too much (?). As for angle, I listen for the sound of the razor and beard and it looks to be in or around the 30 degree mark.
Pre-shave: Is always the same. Parker CHST Silver tip brush. I am looking for a good brush for soaps. Suggestions welcome. After my shower, using hot towels to keep my face and beard hydrated. If I am using a soap, I use hot water to let it bloom, then use that as a first layer prior to lathering face. With shave cream, I may use a preshave oil by Floid.
Shave: I go WTG, XTG, then ATG for BBS most of the time.
Post-shave: Apply cool washcloth 2x, then rinse with cold water, Alum block pass, let sit for a minute, rinse with cold water, then use quality AS of AS shaving balm.

I am new to slant razors and I have been told that the X3 is very forgiving, or so I thought. I use Feather blades with a Merkur 34C HD with a modicum of success. I also have a German 37 slant with iKon OSS handle and have tried Kai and Bolzano blades, and a vintage Hoffritz slant I have not used yet.

Help and suggestions are most welcome.

I would try a different blade. I have a PAA Bakelite Slant and I was getting a lot of irritation using Polsilver blades and I tried an Astra SP and got a very close and smooth shave.

Agree with the above. Your beard coarseness and trouble spots are similar to mine, and I've never had much luck with Feathers after many attempts. Astra SP is also my go-to blade.

I have an X3 slant and Perma-Sharp Super are fantastic get about 6 or 7 smooth shaves, and the Gillette Silver Blue get at least 5 or 6 smooth shaves on the X3 as YMMV.

I have had great results with Gillette Nacet. Polsilver SI works well also, but the Nacet is better in the X3 for me.

For me, a new razor means a learning curve. I need to adjust my technique and revisit blade choices. Since your current choice is on the very, very sharp end, I would go through your blade options with an open mind. Give things awhile and you may be much happier with the new shaver.

When I bought an X3 head I was disappointed in the amount of blade exposure and gap. I foresaw a terrible shave. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it shaved for me. I was either using a Gillette 7 O'clock yellow of a Feather.

One thing I've found from razors like the X3, and Feather AS-D2, and the Ikon 1st generation stainless steel slant, is that unlike a Fatboy on 6 or 7, you have to get the angle just right on these low blade gap/exposure heads.

So if you're used to shaving with a more aggressive head there is a tendency to use more pressure to compensate for the mildness of the razor. So plan on 3 no pressure passes, and focus on the angle you're using to shave. I think once you get that the razor will be fine for you. IMHO.

To all who have responded to my postin, I thank you for the terrific input and suggestions. The recurring motif here is to use a blade that is smoother, slow down considerably in order to get the feel and angle correct with this particular razor. I do have many of the suggested blades to try, so I will take all your suggestions to heart and application, as I really want to like this razor.

Stay tuned folks, I will be reporting on my progress and how different blades work. I have found that with the character of certain razors, there is a sweet spot with certain blades that just click.

For me, a new razor means a learning curve. I need to adjust my technique and revisit blade choices. Since your current choice is on the very, very sharp end, I would go through your blade options with an open mind. Give things awhile and you may be much happier with the new shaver.
BigJ, outstanding point. Thank you.

X3 shave update #1:
I used a Super Max, Super Platnium blade, Pre de Provence 63 soap, spending extra time developing the lather in my scuttle, and my RazoRoc Alum block.
Pre shave:
Soaked a pure badger brush and hot water to let soap bloom. Took shower, them used bloom water to keep face hydrated. Applied copious lather to face.
Shave:
Three pass (wtg, xtg, atg), with a whisper of pressure, paying particular attention to the angle of the razor.
Post shave:
Applied clean washcloth repeatedly with warm, cooler through cold water.
Used alum block, let it sit on face for one minute, rinsed with cold water, followed by pat dry and applied Pre de Provence 63 balm.
Result: Meh
Less skin irritation (modest level) than OP, still red and alum block burned like crazy.
Thoughts:
My technique and angle improved, yet not 100% yet. I do believe some razors respond better with shaving cream with a pre shave oil (perhaps) than soap. Either that or I need to spend more time beating the hell out of soap lathering. This may be a shaving cream type razor, with a Bolzano level blade, which I will try next time. I will conquer this razor!

Stay tuned and input welcomed.

Pay close attention to your angle

ikonangle.png

Boy I just had a terrible flashback to undergrad.

Seems that there was a large population of people throwing things off cliffs and buildings around the time I was in Kinematics.
That's funny stuff. I've done my share of throwing things off buildings and out widows during my active duty Marine days. My favorite was plugging in an old metal fan, turning it on high then throwing it out the window to see how far would fly. The results were disappointing. Copious amounts of beer may or may not have been involved in this experiment.

Top Bottom