From the ashes...to a new life.

Discussion in 'The Brown Leaf' started by accunlmtd, Jun 25, 2012.

1. I first posted this in the brush restore forum, and it was suggested that you folks might enjoy it as well.....

1st time poster and restorer.
    As a wet shaver and pipe smoker, I delve into multiple hobbies. Pipe restoration has been one I have done for many years. When I find old but restorable pipes, I will pick them up, clean/restore them and then give them to Senior citizens who are living on fixed incomes, especially the veterans (of which I am one).
    The other day I was visiting an old gentleman (and he is truly a gentleman of the highest order), who needed a couple old pipes restored. Before I left, he asked if I could fix a dripping faucet in his bathroom, which I did quick enough. While there I noticed that he had a very well "appreciated" shaving brush that was this side of worn out.

Back home I was restoring his pipes, and saw that one of them was burning out on the inside, no use in restoring it, but I had an idea. I cut off the stem, sanded the area to the correct dimensions, and bored out the bowl a bit to fit a knot I had, that had no home.

When I returned his cleaned up pipes (and a couple others) and presented him with his new brush, the old gentleman nearly had tears in his eyes.

This is what makes life worth living...

Humbly

Al in Colorado[​IMG]

2. Very nice!

3. Very cool idea & good work.

4. Just awesome! :thumbup1:

5. Argonaut

Argonaut Moderator Emeritus

Very nice!

6. rickcharles606

rickcharles606 Contributor

Fantastic brush and an incredibly nice gesture...hopefully it will come back to you tenfold ;-)

7. neat, well done

8. Thank you for sharing. Great job on being a man for others.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. Beautiful, in more ways than one.

10. That's great! Made that gentleman's day for sure!

11. Well done! Good on you!

12. What a great story. Well done.