found in the wild, my first

Discussion in 'General Straight Razor Talk' started by tomjr, Jun 12, 2012.

1. found these sort of, at a pawn shop. the owner told me he had no razors. but the son said he had some that belong 2 his grandfather at home. he told me if i could wait a few he would go home and retrieve them 4 me 2 see if i i wished. he said he lived 2 miles away. i agreed, shortly he returned with grandpa's old razors plus 1 Pakistani razor shaped object. we worked out a deal for the 5 razors and i was on my way. 1. F W ENGELS LAFAYETTE black with bolsters on right 2.J A HENCHELS marked on spine SATURDAY from a seven day set? black scales on bottom 3.OTHELLO ANTON WIGEN JR. on left 4.STEEL KING WESTER BROS. on top 5. J A HENCKELS ZWILLINGWORKS. in middle I HAVE FINALLY!!! made my first score in the wild. tom

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. Sweet, haven't found good ones yet by me.

3. I'm still waiting for mine-nice score

4. 5 day mixed set...:tongue_sm

5. That thumbnotched one has great lines. Congrats!

6. I agree. That's my favorite too.

7. that is my favorite of the lot. vintage henckels are great shavers. it is in the best condition too. grandpa had great taste in razors, methinks!

8. Kentos

Kentos Moderator Emeritus

Wow Tom, that was a long road to your first catch in the wild! Congrats!

9. Nice finds! I have an Engels Lafayette just like that and it's one of my best shavers.

10. Congratulations on the great find. I'm hoping to find something somewhere one day, in a car boot sale or an old drugstore (if I can find one). I've a plan to go to a little old hardware store if it's still open near where I live - will certainly brag about any finds that I can make.

11. I found one just like that in the wild also. Fantastic shaver.

12. Nice find. Great feeling getting nice blades in the wild.

13. Very cool! I have found quite a few in antique stores around here but none as nice as those.

14. There's an antiques place near me that I've seen many a nice (and not so nice) straight razor, but it's likely they'll be there for quite a while. To say they're "war priced" is insulting to actual war prices. Case in point: a Spike with two huge chips in the blade (one at the tip, one midway on the edge) for $50. That was the cheapest one there; to hone that out would've taken the blade down to about 1/4" width and 2" length in my estimation.

The flea markets here occasionally get something decent, but that's hit and miss at best. More miss than hit, really.