What's new

Found a leather/canvas strop

X

XSrcing

I just found this in storage. After asking several questions, it think it was last used in the late 60's, early 70's. I really want to get this back in to working order so my new knives can meet an old school workhorse.

There is some rust on parts of the leather strop from steel particles. All but the last 3 inches of the end of the leather are still quite supple. I know the dried and cracked leather has no hope, but can I get the rest of it back in to working shape?

The canvas is good to go. There is still compound worked in to it, and a few swipes of an old blade knocked the fine rust layer off. I've already worked my cheap Chinese 440C folder to a hair popping edge on it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

If you want to fully refurbish it you can. It will take some time and work, but it can be done. Here is how I would go about it. I speak from having done a few of these. First, you are lucky that it does not have sewn on leather handles and looks like it can readily be taken apart. Pulling stitches and then resewing takes way more time.

It looks like it can unscrew at the top. If so, take it apart (carefully) so you can deal with the metal, leather and the fabric separately.

Once you have it separated, put the fabric in the washing machine with soap and a little bleach in the rinse on the gentle cycle. Re-rinse. Do not put it in the dryer; let it air dry. Most of the dirt will be removed this way. If it gets wrinkled, which it may if it is cotton, a light ironing will fix that.

As to the leather, you can use some saddle soap to clean it. It will take a couple of goes, given the pics. Do the whole strop at once, but not with too much product. Use a little at a time. It may take 3-4 goes to clean it up. After you have cleaned it up and let it dry overnight, you will probably need to add some oil back to the leather. Neatsfoot, Lexol or any other quality leather conditioner can be used. Light coats until you get the draw you want.

Depending on what shape the metal is in, you may just clean it or repaint it. Use a drop of lubricant at the swivel/ pivot.

Put it all together and you will be good to go. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd just like to add that it may be benificial to sand the leather down (with the grain) with a progression of sandpaper, starting at the 200 or 400 grit and going up to 1000k+ grit. after you clean it but before you oil it. Be sure to use wed&dry sandpaper, as it's much less likely to lose any grit in the strop than regular sandpaper.

Otherwise, nice score.

I'd just like to add that it may be benificial to sand the leather down (with the grain) with a progression of sandpaper, starting at the 200 or 400 grit and going up to 1000k+ grit. after you clean it but before you oil it. Be sure to use wed&dry sandpaper, as it's much less likely to lose any grit in the strop than regular sandpaper.

Otherwise, nice score.

+1- Yes this can be a very good idea, also. Sanding can also help you add more draw if you want to the leather.

I think you can make that work for you with the advice given. I found an old, well-used C-Mon 411 several months ago. It's real similar to yours. I used a brush and Woolite on the canvas, which took it from grungy to clean. I used saddle soap 4 or 5 times to good effect. Sanding took care of the rest.

This strop came to me in bad shape but it cleaned up nice. It's my only strop now.

...Ray

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

You might be able to save the cracked leather. You could try a leather conditioner first and see what happens (make sure the strop is clean first). If it doesn't work, try a very high grit sandpaper. I use 1200 but if you can get something finer, it would give you a better finish...

Here's a thread I did a while back on how to restore a strop. I won't say it's the best and only way but it worked for me: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=163703

Top Bottom