What's new

For Lovers of The Golden Age

that was the same girl???:blush:
okay.
change every photo to yes.

and those pictures of #2 make me scream hells yes even louder. I guess that their faces were not made for black and white photos. you understand?
those color photos are outstanding beauty.
let me clarify
photo 1, dont care for the tight corset
photo 2, cant believe it was beloved muse. I guess photo 4 just overwhelmed me
photo 3, not a big fan of the blonds
photo 4, just a beautiful photo
photo 5, she just gives off a disinterested look that wasnt appealing.

havent said that, autographed photos of those ladies can be sent to me post haste.

that was the same girl???:blush:
okay.
change every photo to yes.

and those pictures of #2 make me scream hells yes even louder. I guess that their faces were not made for black and white photos. you understand?
let me clarify
photo 1, dont care for the tight corset
photo 2, cant believe it was beloved muse. I guess photo 4 just overwhelmed me
photo 3, not a big fan of the blonds
photo 4, just a beautiful photo
photo 5, she just gives off a disinterested look that wasnt appealing.

havent said that, autographed photos of those ladies can be sent to me post haste.

For what it's worth....the blond was far and away my least favorite and we definitely did not mesh personality wise!:smile:

Courtney, on the other hand, is the text book definition of a brick s@&t house. Gorgeous face, incredible body (all natural I might add) and mad modeling skills.

Lee is my dream woman personified....Brilliant Duke grad working on law degree.....strikingly beautiful and physically fit, enormously entertaining and incredibly creative.

The girl you like best, Erin, is truly stunning and was the one best suited for this style of shoot. She's also a cheerleader for the Carolina Hurricanes. Go Canes!:smile:

alright, tell Courtney, Lee and Erin:001_wub: I expect a photo of the 3 of them saying hi to me. It is spelled Ray.
by the way, you are a great photographer, I just like discussing the content of said photos.

oh, and if they need my address just let me know.:001_tt1:

You got anything along the lines of say... Grace Kelly?

They'll never be another like her.....not in a million years.

That's the hardest part about trying to recreate this style. It's not using a digital SLR camera versus an 8X10 1:1 wooden camera the size of a small car, it's not using modern monolights versus hotlights and it's not even computerized photoshop editing versus manual negative editing with led retouching pencils......

The hardest part.....the missing link.....is finding young women with the grace and elegance of the great starlets of The Golden Age.

I guess that their faces were not made for black and white photos. you understand?

Actually, the B&W photo of Courtney is in *some* ways one of my favorites; the lighting is very, very close to something Hurrell would have done and therefore comes very close to achieving my goal of re-creating his look.

On the other hand.....I always felt I had captured an angle/expression with that shot that made her look a bit mannish.....kind of hard to do with Courtney.

I also wasn't crazy about the hairstyle. The stylist was a hotshot from Manhattan who had an incredible reputation.....that may explain why he showed up 4 hours late.....and ultimately I thought the hairstyle he gave her was...."meh".....

A large part of her hair was cloned in in photoshop to try and *fix* it. You can see that if you know to look for it.

So.......actually I do more-or-less agree with you. That photo doesn't accurately reveal her beauty. As the photog......that's my fault.

I should have said this in my initial reply to your comment rather than letting artistic pride/arrogance cloud my judgement!

I look at your pics and feel all warm and tingly inside:biggrin:

Edit: Except the one of your daughter...That one is just plain cute:)

Mmmm, brunette muses are my fave. :biggrin:

Actually I like the blond smoking pic better. Which is very strange because I do not usually like blonds and i hate smoke. Odd.

Mmmm, brunette muses are my fave. :biggrin:

Actually I like the blond smoking pic better. Which is very strange because I do not usually like blonds and i hate smoke. Odd.

What I like about that shot was the fact that I achieved the goal of being able to see the flame from the lighter. That required thinking outside of my usual box as strobe lights tend to overpower things like that. Thank you!

I come back and view the photos over and over, well and over and over and start to see more and more the beauty you were going for. I am looking at the surroundings, shades and shadows.
I must be crazy. Back to oggling my beloveds.
I tried going to your sites but they are filtered as verboten at work.

B R A N D X®;718812 said:
I know this is vague, but I hope it helps!

It helps alot. It just kinda reaffirms what I've been doing and thinking about doing. I'll be attempting some b&w shots of my pregnant wife pretty soon and wanted to get some basic advise about lighting but didn't want to buy any books for fear of bias and questioning myself.

I'm just an amature, but I've always loved being on the working end of a camera. Lately most of my pictures have been of my 1 year old son who is a bear to work with and I've gotten many more picture of much higher quality than the studio my wife took him to.

Your work is great and has inspired me! Thanks.

B R A N D X®;718948 said:
As for #2......most would find Courtney to be exceptionally beautiful!:rolleyes:
proxy.php

proxy.php

But then I kind of covered this in my OP:
"Unfortunately, Joan Crawford, Vivien Leigh and Lauren Bacall weren't available"

You know, I live in NY. PM sent for Courtney's phone number.

Top Bottom