What's new

First SR - Ready to shave!

I bought my first straight razor today... I have been practicing with a dull Gold Dollar and a Parker Shavette. I have had pretty good luck with the shavette, only some slight razor burn on my neck. I think I am ready for the real thing.

$dovo-conk.jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice looking razor. Sounds like you're ready, just go slow and have fun.

*** Update ***

First shave with the Dovo went very well. I went through my normal routine. The razor seemed pretty sharp to begin with, but I stropped it up anyway. I did a test on my arm and the hairs just popped off. Kind of scared me thinking I was about to put that thing rear my throat.

I lathered up and started WTG on my cheeks. REALLY SLOWLY with as much control as I could muster. Slow, short strokes with no pressure. I have used a shavette, but for some reason this seems about 10 times sharper. Thanks to the hollow ground, I could really hear the whiskers being cleaved off.

I did a full pass WTG and a few areas XTG. I didn't want to push it my first time with this razor. It felt pretty good. I would say it was a DFS for sure. I do have to admit that I did a little clean up with the DE. I had some difficulty around my goatee and under my jawline near my ears. I couldn't seem to get the angles right. And my left hand really needs some work.

But no nicks, cuts, or weepers. After a cold rinse and a rub with an alum block followed by some Captain's Choice Bay Rum, my face felt great! I have been shaving for 35 years, and I don't recall my face feeling so good after shaving. I regret it took me so long to discover this.

Can't wait for my next shave!!

Great story! I NEVER thought I would enjoy shaving. I chose to go the Parker SR1 route - just couldn't get the hang of keeping an edge and decided not to fight with it for now. Maybe in the future.

Anyway, welcome to the club!

Top Bottom