What's new

First shave with W&B 7/8 wedge!

I just got my "new" W&B 7/8 wedge somewhat cleaned up and honed and I just shaved with it for the first time. Nice! This was my first 7/8 and first wedge. It was noticeable how the extra weight helped the shave. It was almost like using a DE in the sense that all you needed was gravity and the weight of the blade to get a good shave.

It still has pitting on the sides even though I've sanded it for hours. I wasn't expecting a mirror finish but I was trying to get a smoother look but after using much polish (and w/d sandpaper) I can see that (apparently) the dark middle of the pits are just lack of light rather than anything I can get rid of other than removing much metal.

Anyway, I was surprised at how much I liked the larger size and increased weight and that's noticeable even though I have several 6/8 razors but they're all full hollow. It's also cool to be able to shave with a razor that is at least 125 years old!

I've had one wedge before but the blade had a wicked twist in it. I'd love to have one with no geometry issues.

Top Bottom