What's new

First attempt at Kimchi

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am really curious as to how the green apple slices turn out. It sounds like it could be great, sweet, salty, sour, and spicy.
Pretty much every batch is an experiment for me. I don't make it enough to really have a recipe down, or to have tweaked a recipe.

The green apple slices add a nice sweet tart thing. I like ginger, but I may have added a bit too much. One thing worthy of notice, I added a bag of tiny dried shrimp, less then an ounce. It's something I add when making gumbo. They are wonderful. Hard to find, but Amazon has them.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Dried shrimp like Amazon.com : Bolner's Fiesta Extra Fancy Whole Dried Shrimp, 3/4 Ounce - Pack of 4 : Grocery & Gourmet Food this? I know that adding shrimp or oysters is a common addition to kimchi but I haven't done it, yet. Did you add any extra liquid to re-hydrate the shrimp? Fish sauce is a good addition, but a little goes a long way and it's better to error on the side of too too little fish sauce.

Interesting, I never knew the Fiesta brand offered the dried shrimp. They have a big display at HEB, I'll check their rack next time I'm there. I used this dried shrimp.

I re-hydrated a little seaweed and the shrimp in a separate bowl while the salted cabbage sat. I used a little of the re-hydration water when making my pepper paste. Can't let that flavor go down the drain.

I used 1 tbsp of fish sauce. 1 tbsp of brown sugar.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I felt I needed to join in. The spice mixed up tastes perfect to me. I'll eat a bit off the top of each jar tomorrow with my breakfast eggs and bagel. Hopefully before the fermentation gets too active. There are glass weights in there but more space is definitely needed.

Kimchi (1 of 2).jpg
Kimchi (2 of 2).jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
A cup of chili powder (Korean) a head of garlic, about 2 and a half fingers size (mine) of ginger, a heaping tablespoon of anchovie fish sauce.

I beat this to a pulp in a food processor and then added a finely chopped onion.

Tastes nice now. Waiting for some magic to happen.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I forgot to mention the 2 tbsp of sugar.

Tried some this morning. Nice and crispy and very tasty. Wow that is amazingly out of focus.
Weekend activities (1 of 2).jpg

That looks real good Mike. Be interesting to hear your thoughts on how things develop and change over time.

dave

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Bubbling away a bit. Definitely a funk in the air. Pretty much the smell of cooked cabbage even if this cabbage is not cooked. It was warm enough to open the windows today, plus 23 C, to vent the place. I may move the three one liter jars down to the cold cellar under the front steps.

I'm looking forward to adding it to my cheap chicken Mr. Noodles and maybe mixing some with rice. My wife does not like pickles at all so I guess this is all for me. Actually I might be able so sneak some into spring rolls. It just has a taste that make me think that direction.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My three jars are going full blast now. I tried the cold room but I had to move them outdoors. I thought of moving them into the fridge but I'm not sure I want this getting into everything.

To the folk who have done this. Is this usual? Will it slow down? Should I be digging a hole in the ground?

Typically it slows down once they are refrigerated. How cold is your cold room? They longer they ferment the funkier it will get!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just brought the three jars back in. 50 F outside now but it was probably in the mid 60's F some of the time. The soft silicone Pickle Pipes were concave, dipping down in the centre. I had a couple of pieces, trusting my health to people who have followed this process for generations. It is definitely pickled and very tasty. 20 minutes later my face is still feeling the fifth taste. . . Umami.

I believe the fridge will hold the fermentation in its tracks pretty much full stop as it is colder than it was outside.

I will update tomorrow when I know how this turns out.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Had some more with my eggs this morning. My goodness is was effervescent and tingly. The aroma when the jar is opened is a bit like cutting into some Limburger cheese. Somehow it is not turning my fridge sour.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Still loving it. Seems to keep well. Somehow my wife has not objected to the funky smell. It is a sneaky thing you don't notice it too much as you open the jar and then eat some. But when I return from walking the dog . . . it hits you like a brick wall.

Top Bottom