What's new

Fine Whisk(e)y

The Talisker 10 is sweet and smokey with a nice peppery finish. Pick up a bottle...I don't think you will be disappointed. Tim did a review of the 18 here.

I love laphroiag, Lagavulin and Ardberg, but what's Talisker like?
Is that a Islay whisky?
Is it smoky, seaweedy, salty?
Cheers
Rob

Talisker is from the Isle of Skye. It's is peaty, but not nearly as peaty as an Islay. It's known for it's peppery finish. It does have elements of salt, seaweed and smoke. It is a fine product but because of it's very unique flavor profile, it's not the most user friendly of malts. I recommend that you try it at your favorite bar first. My own opinion is very high of Talisker, there is only a few dollar price difference between the 10 and the 18, while the 10 is wonderful, the 18 is a truly outstanding product.

my favorite single malts are Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 15, Caol Ila 12 ... those i really love ... then i have others that i really, really like .... Highland Park 12, Mcallan 12, Talisker ... i'm sure i'm leaving some out ... oh, the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel has been good to me

awesome stuff
Nice selection indeed! I've only tried the Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 15 and Highland Park 12 of those, but they're awesome.

18 years does wonderful things for Bourbon, too -- the 18 y.o. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites -- amazingly smooth.

I had Talisker (15 year? I think) for the first time. I found it very smoky and liken it to drinking a scotch campfire. I really like it.

Currently I am drinking Bowmore, which is a less expensive SMS, but quite nice. Smooth and almost apple ciderish. Very happy with this purchase.

In regards to the Evan Williams 10yr thread- they don't have it ANYWHERE in Boston area that I can find. I recruited my father to pick me up a bottle - he lives in NJ. In two weeks when I go to visit the rents I'll finally get a chance to sample (and more than sample) the famed 10yr.

18 years does wonderful things for Bourbon, too -- the 18 y.o. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites -- amazingly smooth.

18 years can do wonderful things for bourbon, it can also destroy bourbon. Weather in Kentucky and using new barrels is very different from the used barrels (casks) and the much colder weather Scotland. I have some very old bourbons that have aged nicely, but some are destroyed by even 12 years in the wood.

In regards to the Evan Williams 10yr thread- they don't have it ANYWHERE in Boston area that I can find. I recruited my father to pick me up a bottle - he lives in NJ. In two weeks when I go to visit the rents I'll finally get a chance to sample (and more than sample) the famed 10yr.

I hope you enjoy the EW 1783 (which is 10 years old) but I don't want you get your hopes up too high. I feel responsible, because if I'm not mistaken I was the one to really push the 1783 on this board. It's a very good bourbon, but it's by no means the best available, it's just the best value IMO, it's by far the best stuff I've seen for $10. I really enjoy it and I hope you will as well.

Top Bottom