What's new

Fine Whisk(e)y

I am a lover of whiskey, primarily bourbons and single malt Scotches. I wondered if there were any other fans out there. Especially now as the weather is getting colder a nice snifter full of a fine spirit really puts a wonderful cap on my day. Some of my favorites are:
Bourbon: Van Winkle Lot B 12 year old, AH Hirsch 16, Wild Turkey Tribute and George T. Stagg and for SMS I really love Highland Park, Laphroiag and Talisker.
I could go on and on so I know it's probably time to stop. :smile:

Tim,

I'm a big fan of Maker's Mark as my sipping Bourbon, and some of the more expensive ones I like are the Pappy Van Vink 22 year (Old Van Wink), Basil Hayden, Bookers, Rock Hill Farms, and Eagle Reserve, and Sarznac Rye.

For SMS I have two standing favorites and then I like to experiment and try new ones.

My first "regular" is Glenmorangie. This is a delightful highland SMS. It is lighter in color than many other SMS and has a hint of honey right at the end. My second fave is The Macallan. This SMS is slightly darker than average and has a slightly nutty taste. Both of these are really great. The Glenmorangie is particularly useful in introducing people to SMS (if you wish to ration any of this stuff for newbies).

Cheers,

I'm not a huge drinker, but I have become a bourbon fan in the past year or two. For the price of a lesser bottle of SMS, you can get a top notch bottle of bourbon. Bourbon, the Arko/Shave My Face/Palmolive or the whisk(e)y world.

for seroius drinking, i only like single malts (though i will drink pretty much anything if in the mood, from vodka to tequila)

my favorite single malts are Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 15, Caol Ila 12 ... those i really love ... then i have others that i really, really like .... Highland Park 12, Mcallan 12, Talisker ... i'm sure i'm leaving some out ... oh, the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel has been good to me

awesome stuff

H2Andy said:
my favorite single malts are Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 15, Caol Ila 12 ... those i really love ... then i have others that i really, really like .... Highland Park 12, Mcallan 12, Talisker ... i'm sure i'm leaving some out ... oh, the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel has been good to me

awesome stuff

Ahhhhhh, what a nice selection. Now to add a couple more, I would say the Macallan 18, although pricey, is more dreamlike than anything else I've tried. If you like the 12 - and god knows you should! - try the 18. Out of this world.

And, for the price and availability, I always have an Oban 14 hanging around too - it's just too good at that price to pass up.

The one bottle I ALWAYS have in my cabinet though, also in your list, is Lagavulin 16 - a really smokey, peaty Islay single malt that, for me, is the definitive Islay malt - always great.

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Macallan 18 ... Oban 14

hey, thanks for the suggestions. i am sure i'd love the Macallan 18

as to the Oban 14, never tried anything by Oban, but i'll add it to my list
(which far exceeds my funds, alas)

H2Andy said:

It's a gen as far as Single Malt Scotch goes, but alas, it does have a steep cost.

H2Andy said:

Well, if you are going to try one or the other, the Oban 14 is leass than half the price in most places, so it's easy to chek out and see if you like it.

As for costs, alas, I too have a wish list that exceeds my funds. So my plan was always to keep one bottle of my favourite, (Lagavulin 16), and one bottle os something experimental (changes from time to time), and one bottle of less expensive scotch (anything under say $50). That way I always have something to serve guests who like Scotch, which is, really, all the sane ones!

By the way, I love your .sig, nicely adapted to the forum. Funny.

Peace,

Pierre

I'm fond of Lagavulin and Talisker. Don't drink them very often, but always have them on hand.

I prefer Blanton's though. It's a wonderful bourbon, neat in a snifter and a side of water. Very smooth. In fact, just now I think I'll go pour out a few drams...

-- John Gehman

We went out after work to celebrate a big project we had just finished. About 20 of us. My friend started buying shots of Paddy. That stuff always gets me into trouble.

They don't call us the Fightin' Irish for nothin'! :frown:

My head still hurts.

If you are a fan of these two may I recommend Ardbeg to you, it is another Islay malt but is non chill filtered, so it goes cloudy if you add water. It has a great flavour and aroma, and is a bit blonder in colour.

I am so amazed that those distilleries produce such wonderful and distinctive drinks, yet they are only a few hundred metres apart!

I am also a confirmed bourbon lover. My favorites are Rock Hill Farms, Blanton's, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Elmer T. Lee, and Old Grand Dad 114-proof, among many others.

Tim

MaCallan 18 and Oban 14 are both very popular. While MaCallan 18 is quite good, I don't believe it warrants its $130 price tag. Much of this rise is due to MaCallans sharp rise in popularity and the prices shot up accordingly. It's good, but IMO it's not $130 good.

As for Oban 14, it's a decent performer, but I don't find it an impressive whiskey. I would opt for another choice.

Top Bottom