What's new

Finally found my daily driver bourbon...what's yours?

Bulleit Bourbon & Wild Turkey - I don't drink either of them daily, but I am a fan of the Kentucky bourbon. I've been leaning more towards scotch lately, I had a Macallan tonight.

Oola from Seattle is my goto, but it does get points for being local. If I had to choose a KY bourbon I'd probably go with Woodford Reserve, as it's got some great memories, and I got the chance to tour it. For a long time I used to rock Bulleit, flipping between the bourbon and the rye.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
It's still Elijah Craig 12 year until the last drop of my last bottle!!!

While actually being a longtime rye drinker, I do have a selection at the house of bourbons that I drink from time to time. Usually in the warmer months, on the rocks, when the sweetness of the corn blends in with the outside temp.

My two overall favorites, from the same company are Knob Creek Nine Year and Knob Creek 120* Single Reserve. The flavor profiles suit my taste very well.

One downside to the Knob Creek... Suntory-Jim Beam, removed the Nine Year Aged from the label. There are a number of explanations given for this and frankly, I can't make sense of this. I'm on my last bottle of Nine Year and will see about buying their new batch formulation.

Honestly, after all these years, I don't like it. Similar was done to the Ten Year Eagle Rare which I also like and haven't bought a bottle since. I might have to keep to my ryes or find another bourbon.

For me, I can't really say I have a "daily driver", but I do have a standby that I always have in my home bar - Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch. I usually have other bottles and try different bourbons that constantly come and go for something else my next trip to the liquor store, but I've always got my EW 1783.

Cheers.

It seems a little awkward to call an alcoholic beverage a daily "driver" to me. Still I guess I understand the reference.

If I drink a cocktail I will have a Manhattan and will probably use Makers Mark, however I am much more predisposed to drinking scotch neat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you like rye, but you're looking for it in a bourbon, try Redemption High Rye Bourbon. It's good, and not horrendously expensive.

I was in Louisville last weekend and stopped over at the Jim Beam stillhouse for a drink and a bourbon tasting. Had an old fashioned made with Knob Creek 120 proof, which was just fantastic. After some generous tasting pours, I ended up coming home with a bottle of Bakers 107. A little on the pricey side, but this might be my new go to neat bourbon. Really smooth and mild going down. Add an ice cube and it's easy drinking.

I've been turning more and more to the Elijah Craig Small Batch, but it is from a hand selected barrel and technically a single barrel. The barrels my store chooses have all been fantastic so far. And only $30.

martym

Elijah Craig 12 year is my favorite but I am down to 4 bottles and I may need to shop for another favorite if the “no age statement” one doesn’t taste the same.
Their barrel strength is fantastic

If your local store has hand selected barrels of EC (which seems to be the thing around the Detroit area), they are actually single barrels and you can find 10-15 year aged ones. Still for $30

martym

Thanks for the heads up. I will take a look.
I should just go to the source and pick a barrel just for me

Another vote for Elijah Craig.

For rye, Michters.

Otherwise expand your horizons, Kirk & Sweeney Rum is comparably priced to the bourbons listed and is an amazing sipper.

I don't have a daily driver bourbon but my go-to is Maker's Mark. I really should explore others that are available to me.

I dont have a daily driver as of right now, my obvious choice would not be bourbon, but a Johnny Red or Black. However, with that being said, I just purchased a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 and can't wait to try it tonight, probably with a little bit of H2O

When I reach for bourbon it is from a local firm, Woodinville Whisky Company, which makes an award-winning craft bourbon. Worth a try if you see some.

Top Bottom