What's new

Feather AC SS Adventure

SHAVE #3

Kai Mild blade(3)

I made a point before I started to slow down and remember to strech my skin as best as I could-GO SLOW I told myself and no pressure and very shallow angle.Also I made a wetter lather with Spieck stick than I normally would with a DE. I used glyceryn as a pre-shave and made sure my face was really hydrated well

Pass 1--I shaved WTG nice and slow on left cheek,switched hands and did right cheek-no blood--Repeated with neck area streching skin --no blood---I am now excited---did lip and chin very slowly--no blood

Pass 2--I went XTG using both hands and remembering to stretch skin(its not perfect yet) and shaved whole face again with no blood--I'm pysched now

Pass 3-I went XTG again with a little more diaganol angle on my neck--no blood-I started on my lip going XTG and the razor
skipped or jumped or whatever it did and slammed into my skin--BLOOD--- I shut the shave down

Observation on shave #3---Very happy with this shave( even though my styptic pencil is getting smaller)
I only had the one cut with no weepers---My cheeks were DFS my neck barely SAS and my chin and bloody lip feel like the razor didn't even touch them--workand learning to be done--All in all a big improvement with this shave----I do not have to think anymore about holding the razor and can concentrate more on the angle I am using-can't wait till tomorrows shave

SHAVE #4

Feather Pro #1

I switched to a Feather just to see the difference from the Kai in this razor.Actually in the Cobra I like the feather better than the Kai.I did 3 passes tonight WTG.XTG and ATG. The WTG pass went smoothly and the XTG tore my face up on the second pass.2 nicks and 1 weeper.I stopped the bleeding with my alum and a little nervous and discouraged decided to go ATG for the 1st time.Suprisingly this was my best pass I have had so far,with no blood at all,and a pass I felt took off the most whiskers of any pass I've done so far.Overall I was disappointed because of the blood again but the ATG pass perked my spirits back up.I am going to take Friday off to let my nicks heal as I feel Joe Frazier beat my face to a pulp

I prefer the Feather Pro myself, but I have to be totally focused 100% with it! That said, as my technique has improved by using the Feather blades more often, i'm finding that my shaves with the Kai Mild are improving whenever I go back to those blades too.

I'm enjoying your journey, so please keep us informed!

Barry, you're doing really well. Keep it up.

Thanks Noah--I'm trying--I think my problem so far is the angle--I don't have it down yet but I'll get there.Its strange because I'm having problems with my cheeks,yet my neck is fine.Opposite of what I've read

Thanks Noah--I'm trying--I think my problem so far is the angle--I don't have it down yet but I'll get there.Its strange because I'm having problems with my cheeks,yet my neck is fine.Opposite of what I've read

I wish I had your problems! Shaving the neck is so challenging. Keep the skin taut and try different angles of attack.

SHAVE #5
Feather blade(2)

I used Irish moos shave stick and proraso-pre shave.After the cuts I got on the last shave on my cheeks I knew I had to change something just didn't know what it was.Before the shave I took the feather and shaved my arm to see how the razor cuts.By doing this I realized my angle was way to steep,so I went into this shave determined to lessen the angle.I also didn't shave on Friday due to the bloodbath on Thursday. I knew I had to let my cheeks heal. Anyway today I did 3 passes on cheeks and neck
WTG,XTG and ATG. NO BLOOD AT ALL--I did 1 pass on lips and chin annd finished them off with my cobra. I HAD A VERY SATISFYING SHAVE(my 1st str8 I was happy with) propably DFS on cheeks and SAS on neck---Thanks to EVERYONE for the advice and its on to shave 6 tomorrow

SHAVE #6
FEATHER PRO(3)

I shaved using Razorock lemon and prorasopre-shave.This shave was the same 3 passes I have been doing.I duplicated my results from yesterday with only 1 nick on my cheek which immediatley stopped bleeding with a cold water rinse.As far as closeness maybe a little less close than yesderday,probably SAS all over cheeks and neck.I did 2 passes on the lip and chin and it was closer than any other shave but still not there yet. The jawline was good though due to stretching skin up during all the other passes.Definatley more irritation than yesterday as the alum burned today.

SHAVE #7
FEATHER PRO(4)

For this shave I decided to lather up the left side of my face,shave and than lather the right side and shave.It took about 1 hour
but I made sure to stretch my skin on every stroke. The only other change I made was I did 2 WTG passes and 1 ATG pass skipping XTG because that is where I usually cut myself.

This was by far my closest shave yet and I had no nicks,cuts or weepers.!st time I didn't need the styptic--After the shave,the alum didn't burn much(a little bit)-By the way I always use Razorock aftershave wax and if you've never tried it,I suggest you do--Great product---Anyhow progress is being made and I'm pretty happy

Sounds like you're progressing well! One more thing I might suggest if I may, changing soaps every day will add an extra unnecessary variable, as the quality of the lather, the slickness etc, will potentially be different every time. It might be that if you stick with the same soap every day it will allow you to concentrate on the actual shave a little more. Just a suggestion anyway!

Thanks--I didn't think of that--I will just use my Irish Moos stick

Sounds like you're progressing well! One more thing I might suggest if I may, changing soaps every day will add an extra unnecessary variable, as the quality of the lather, the slickness etc, will potentially be different every time. It might be that if you stick with the same soap every day it will allow you to concentrate on the actual shave a little more. Just a suggestion anyway!

SHAVE #7
fEATHER PRO(5)

This shave I decided to use the razor like a non-folding to see if I liked it better.I kept all variables the same as yesterday
including using the Irish Moos stick.(thanks Brian). I kept the blade at a 180 degree angle and I feel I had better control of the razor.The XTG pass was hard asthe scale was a little to long to go truly ear to nose,so I went a little diagonally.This was by far my best shave with only a little blood(cold water took care of it)and by far the closest shave I've had. I guess now I will order the Japanese syle since I seem to like it better.The only question I have is which version to get(RG,DG,SS or the Kai.Any input would be appreciated.

This shave I decided to use the razor like a non-folding to see if I liked it better.The only question I have is which version to get(RG,DG,SS or the Kai.Any input would be appreciated.

I just found your shaving journal, I believe that most of the blood is because you use pressure on the razor (even if you think your not). I use the same angle as with my straights, no pressure at all. also too much stretching of the skin does not work with a feather razor, it gives me a bad shave. With these blades I never feel or hear the hairs being cut, totally different from a straight.

as far as what non folding you should buy? That's really personal. I don't like the SS myself (because of weight, balance and form of the handle) but it's more forgiving then the others. the RG is good, the DX has one disadvantage in my opinion, maybe it's because of the stainless steel but the head has the tendency to stick to your skin if you use a small angle (especially when head shaving) and of course it's twice the price of the RG.

I'm sure in a few weeks you'll shave with the feather like a pro, it's just practice. btw I see you use a cobra also, one of these days I'll have to try one of those, heard good things about it. have a nice shave, ron

SHAVE#8
FEATHER PRO(6)

The blade for this shave still feels sharp but for the next shave I am going to use the Kai mild. I could get alot more out of the feather though but I want to switch now that my technique is getting better.For this shave I kept the handle 180 degrees (handle was straight across) and I did my usual 3 passes with no blood at all except for 1 weeper near my adams apple.I feel I am getting the hang of it of course not bbs yet but still good shaves nonetheless.I am still deciding which non-folding to get but for now I think I am going to try the Kai captain standard and than later on get either the Feather DX or the Kai Excellia as I gain more experience

SHAVE #9
FEATHER PRO(7)

i forgot to change the blade to a Kai mild so I got another shave off the feather which was still sharp.I used the SS as it was intended with the folding handle.I am much more relaxed now and used to the grip and handling of the razor.I did my usual 3 passes and again no blood--I think I'm getting the hang of it---My cheeks were BBS after 2 passes and my neck I feel are just under that...The lip and chin areas are getting there but still a little rough.I have a mole on my chin that makes shaving there hard because if I touch it it will bleed pretty badly.I am going to get the thing off soon.Anyway thing are looking good and I feel I am getting alot better with the grips now

"Anyway thing are looking good and I feel I am getting alot better with the grips now"

Yah we had are differences but we getting along now.
But seriously, good job.

I just received my Feather AC on Wednesday. Shaved with it yesterday and my big chin was a bloody mess. I don't have this problem with my straights, but those Feather blades are really sharp. The rest of my face went really well. My shave lasted into the night which is rare for me. I have a thick quick growing blade, so I was very happy about that. I love the feel of it in my hand. I can't wait until my shave tomorrow morning.

Top Bottom