What's new

Favorite Pipe Aromatic Blend

My favorites are flakes and include SG 1792, SG mayors chocolate flake, SG Firedance, G&H Bob's chocolate flake, G&H Rum flake, G&H Ennerdale flake. Room note is the best on the firedance- a blackberry and cognac flake, and Ennerdale- almond with florals those are also the lightest in strength at a solid medium. The room note on all are pleasant. There is a difference between the chocolate flakes SG is more subtly flavored and while both contain latakia, it is more prevalent in the G&H . 1792 is tonquin with a more subtle floral component. The Rum flake is anise and rum with fairly mild, but present, floral scent.
I guess I'm confused. I didn't think Virginia flakes were ever aromatics. When I think aro I think a mostly burley or Cavendish blend. I have a tin of 1792 but have only smoked it once & it was outside so I guess I totally missed out on any room note. At the time I was preoccupied by the amount of nicotine it was putting out anyway. I went ahead & popped open the jar just now & I don't know how I missed the tin smell the first time; I must have been very distracted.

So anyway, every time I think I am starting to understand the basic types of pipe tobacco, it gets muddled again. Could some one please explain a bit more?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I guess I'm confused. I didn't think Virginia flakes were ever aromatics. When I think aro I think a mostly burley or Cavendish blend. I have a tin of 1792 but have only smoked it once & it was outside so I guess I totally missed out on any room note. At the time I was preoccupied by the amount of nicotine it was putting out anyway. I went ahead & popped open the jar just now & I don't know how I missed the tin smell the first time; I must have been very distracted.

So anyway, every time I think I am starting to understand the basic types of pipe tobacco, it gets muddled again. Could some one please explain a bit more?

What is considered an Aromatic is not black & white and varies from person to person. I'll give you my opinion
American Style Aromatics - These are what we think of when we think Aro's they usually have cavindish as one of the main ingredients, and usually the aromatic qualities are stronger then their flavor qualities, these tobaccos are usually cased (soaked in a flavored syrup) of fruit or some other sweet flavoring. These can be done well, but the blenders putting out the cheap ones that you can buy in bulk, give most of these Aro's a bad name. These are also the same people who use a PG solution to make sure the tobacco never dries out, ever.

English Aromatics. Not to be confused with English tobaccos that contain Latakia as a main ingredient, English aromatics generally use Virginia tobaccos as the main ingredients, and any flavoring is done with a light topping, to add to the blend, but not overpower it. The Lakeland scent is a common one in these blends, and and a perfume/flowery smell. 1792, the Chocolate Flakes, & University Flake would also fall under this category.

My favorites are flakes and include SG 1792, SG mayors chocolate flake, SG Firedance, G&H Bob's chocolate flake, G&H Rum flake, G&H Ennerdale flake. Room note is the best on the firedance- a blackberry and cognac flake, and Ennerdale- almond with florals those are also the lightest in strength at a solid medium. The room note on all are pleasant. There is a difference between the chocolate flakes SG is more subtly flavored and while both contain latakia, it is more prevalent in the G&H . 1792 is tonquin with a more subtle floral component. The Rum flake is anise and rum with fairly mild, but present, floral scent.

Man. That Firedance sounds like something I'd like!

For those who like the aromatics (me included) call Don's Humidor in Waco Texas at 254-772-3919 and order some PH-36 or vanilla custard. Ask for Carol and she will mail it to you. I have been smoking the PH-36 for over 20 years and you can't beat it. It has to be my all time favorite.

I found the J.M. Boswell Piper's Pleasure to be outstanding. The Boswell's Best was very nice tasting as well. I have just seemed to gravitated to robust tobaccos in short order ;~)

Two Friend English Chocolate is one that I really like. I would describe it as Bob's Chocolate Flake, but trade the lakeland scent for some cocoa taste.

I'll also back Boswell's aros. My favourite is Christmas Cookie followed by Boswell's Best. Eventually going to try Piper's Pleasure.

Hah, same here! I really enjoyed their Big Dipper aromatic.

+1. They are a five minute drive from my place, which is both good and bad! My favorite Uhle's blend is Irish Aromatic. It has a pinch of Latakia in it which makes for an interesting smoke. It's typically classified as a crossover (half aromatic, half English)

Top Bottom