What's new

Excuse Me While I Throw Myself Out A Window!

And now Ladies & Gentlemen, let me present a hearty serving of pure IRONY!

This evening, while unpinning a pair of pristine Heljestrand ivory scales, I actually came to think about Marks unfortunate accident. The second after the thought appeared, one scale broke right off, despite me being as careful as ever...

Mark:
You can put away the voodoo-doll now, we are even :biggrin1:
proxy.php

This evening, while unpinning a pair of pristine Heljestrand ivory scales, I actually came to think about Marks unfortunate accident. The second after the thought appeared, one scale broke right off, despite me being as careful as ever...

Mark:
proxy.php

Alright so who's next?

I'm sorry to hear about that. Hey I have a short blade that can fit your scales though:lol:

There is some bad juju in the air folks so careful with your blades!

Alright so who's next?

I'm sorry to hear about that. Hey I have a short blade that can fit your scales though:lol:

There is some bad juju in the air folks so careful with your blades!
That shorty Easy Aces in ivory-scales we can make would be the most cursed straight in history, not even Aleister Crowley would have dared to shave with it :lol:

Stay away from the shop folks, watch some TV instead...

Mark:
proxy.php

This is why I will not even try to unpin my ivory scaled straights. I'll live with a little grime in the pivot area to not have this happen.

For the record, I suck at unpinning and have probably lost more scales than I've kept. Hence why most of my restorations require me to make new scales :glare:

This is why I will not even try to unpin my ivory scaled straights. I'll live with a little grime in the pivot area to not have this happen.

For the record, I suck at unpinning and have probably lost more scales than I've kept. Hence why most of my restorations require me to make new scales :glare:

It's always tougher with the scales that don't have washers. I've been pretty lucky in my ivory unpinning...on second thought, 2/3 is not exactly lucky. :bored:

I have not unpinned razors, but I have taken a number of rivets out of other items. One way of removing a rivet that I never see mentioned around here is to use a hand file. Everybody wants to go after power tools.

Simply drive the rivet to one side, bind everything with tape to protect and steady the fastened material, possibly binding to a block to "buck" the rivet. Then use a hand file and remove the rivet head.

If you are getting into the tape, either check your progress (you may be done) or remove and reapply the tape. When the head is removed the rivet should come out with little effort.

I have successfully used this method to remove a number of rivets from various devices, often without marring painted surfaces. I expect this to be gentle enough to use on bone or ivory with reduced risk of damage.

Phil

Lesson to all those that a buffer is the most dangerous piece of equipment in the shop.

I didn't have the guts to post it, but I tried to take out the pitting of a DD goldedge this past weekend and went to far. Got it all the way to a perfect mirror and when I went to the hones.....guess what??

That's right, I overheated the blade and tempered it in the process. Won't take an edge at all. This was my lesson that you live with some pitting on full hollows. I think even if I dunked it more in ice water I still would have lost the temper. The edge on these types are ultra thin.

First one I lost to overheating on the buffers and a reminder as to why I like to restore old sheffield wedges and hate full hollows.

The average human begins to feel pain from heat at around 140F. When I am buffing a razor, I do so without gloves and stay in contact with the parts being buffed. I figure if I cool the blade before it starts to hurt everything will be alright.

For those new to restoration, please be sure to use a buffer/dremel/rotary tool very carefully. If that pad catches the blade it will shatter the blade or worse. The one time it happened to me, the W&B I was polishing shatter into about 6 pieces. One of which bounced off my goggles.

The average human begins to feel pain from heat at around 140F. When I am buffing a razor, I do so without gloves and stay in contact with the parts being buffed. I figure if I cool the blade before it starts to hurt everything will be alright.

For those new to restoration, please be sure to use a buffer/dremel/rotary tool very carefully. If that pad catches the blade it will shatter the blade or worse. The one time it happened to me, the W&B I was polishing shatter into about 6 pieces. One of which bounced off my goggles.

I use the buffer without gloves as well and fortunately this is the only blade I've ruined in restoring 200+ razors. I probably didn't have my hand on the backside of the blade low enough to feel the heat (ie too high up the spine).

I'll echo what Henry has said even more. The buffer is very dangerous. Always were eye protection and a respirator. A leather apron is also a plus. The buffer will catch a blade every now and then even when you think you are most careful. Work in the safety zone, so that if it does catch and throw the blade it throws it backward away from you.

I know how it makes you feel. About a year ago at my favorite flea market, I picked up an old worn DublDuck Satinedge. It had seen a lot of use, had a bit of a frown, and other than that, was in good shape.

All it needed was to have the frown removed, bevel reset, and a nice edge. I removed the frown and took it to the buffer. Had it looking beautiful, started to turn off the buffer and head back inside to the hones.

But did I stop buffing? Nope, one last pass, just for no reason. BAM!!! Shot out of my hand and hit the workbench, cracked it right down the middle.

Made me feel so bad. I had just destroyed a wonderful old razor. I mourned that mistake for a very long time. It does happen, unfortunately.

Top Bottom