What's new

Etch preservation?

Hey all, I was browsing the 'bay, and I saw photo's that didn't look like much, but could have potential...(sorry for the bad pix in advance!)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Didn't look like much, but I REALLY wanted it! Turn's out the rust isn't as bad as the photo's showed...
The back:
proxy.php

The etch:
proxy.php

The grind:
proxy.php

I've felt the etch, and it's surface only, how can I best remove the rust, but keep the design?
Also, when honing, should I tape the spine to raise the angle of the bevel to avoid the etching, or should I just tape over it when I'm at the stones? Thanks again folks for all the input and help, I appreciate your time and expertise!

-Matt-

Use the least abrasive polish you have. Brasso or something, not Maas. And when you polish don't use much pressure. That should polish up the high bits, but leave the etch fine.

Thanks Mdunn, I took some q-tips to the rust last night, and tried some toothpaste (fine abrasive) to remove rust. Overall, the red rust is gone, but the black, and the pitting remain. Is there any way to prevent the rust from spreading other than keeping it dry and oiling it occasionally?

If you remove the active rust and just leave the pitting it should be fine. Keep it oiled if you're worried.

+1 on not to use MAAS. I personal use Mothers for these.

+1 Mothers.

Use it on the end of the q-tip and just scrub the rust/black spots. Careful to check often if you're rubbing off etch. You may have to settle at one point whether keeping etch or removing rust spot is more important, you might not get both unfortunately.

If the etch is important to you, and I like it too, you will concede to the black pits, and enjoy the character of age. Clean as noted, with light pressure

If the etching was damaged from rust, leaving only partially legible and heavy rust, it hurts but in those situations you just plow through and remove metal . Don't look back, it hurts too much

Back site you can sand away. When I have on that has aged etching with pits but all else looks shinny, I still feel pretty good

Last edited:
I'll look into getting some Mothers then! Luckily for me (and the razor), the rust on the etch side is minimal, and the back side I'll just sand until shiny!

-Matt-

Top Bottom